Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just been listening to the Duffield and Quartermaine podcast from yesterday. In relation to the game on the weekend, Duffield says "Freo can inject the Hills and possible Bennell into the midfield. Naitanui super charges their midfield but what else can West Coast do to improve their midfield?"

Quartermaine goes "Well I think Venables can be elite"... rofl, I get that they need to pander to the WC fans but c'mon at least try and come up with something semi realistic.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/f...18-say-rival-skippers-in-survey-ng-b88774921z

"almost a quarter of rival captains believe the Eagles can hang onto their spot in the top eight.
The outlook isn’t so pretty for Fremantle, who finished 14th last season and have been tipped by every rival skipper to miss the finals for a third straight season."

So more accurately 100% don't think we can make it and 78% don't the WC can either, but headline Freo no chance.

Your quite brilliant Shayne.

Although Collingwood acquiring a vote makes me suspicious about how seriously this survey was taken, or whether some captains knew 7 other teams.

With all the club-by-club preseason predictions, I don't think a single one has mentioned Luke Ryan. Connolly didn't even have him in our emergencies!!
Kingy (who usually loves anything Ross related) mentioned how poor all our defenders are on exit from defense and said Wilson will help. Will yeah he will but not sure how he missed Lukey last year or in the JLT going 100% over 21 touches.

They'll know by the end of the year how good he is.

With all the club-by-club preseason predictions, I don't think a single one has mentioned Luke Ryan. Connolly didn't even have him in our emergencies!!
Ryan would already be talked about as a star if he played out of Melbourne. As it is, as you've pointed out they don't even know he exists.
Imagine if a young Collingwood defender had taken the equal most intercept marks in their first year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryan would already be talked about as a star if he played out of Melbourne. As it is, as you've pointed out they don't even know he exists.
Imagine if a young Collingwood defender had taken the equal most intercept marks in their first year?
Spot on. Imagine if these guys actually did their jobs and watched all the teams and did the most basic of research? Commentators and AFL website had a hard on for Sam Murray for one good JLT game, yet Ryan has been killing it since his debut, is already a gun and they have no idea who he is. I don't respect the media/sports journalism in this sport.

Are Freo interested in making an offer for Jeremy McGovern?

Not surprisingly, no AFL captains tipped Fremantle to feature in September.
But Nat Fyfe isn't concerned.

Fyfe on ABC Grandstand: "We've got games into our youth last year, we've recruited quite well again. And we have an 'everything's possible' mindset, and I genuinely believe with our best football, this is gonna see us go a long way this year."

Also, young WA women's talent to look out for this year, Jasmine Stewart from the Kimberley. She has relocated to Perth. A potential AFLW draftee.

She was almost forced to quit the sport, because the pathway for girls abruptly ended. "At 14, the boys get big and they start to overpower you."
5 years ago things changed, with a concerted effort by the AFL and WAFC to make it easier for females to play the game.

When she moved to Perth, the school, everything, there were so many options, she had no idea. Other girls playing football.

Female Participation for Australian Rules Football in WA
2013: 19,326
2017: 92,761

Source: ABC (National) News, overnight.

Also, young WA women's talent to look out for this year, Jasmine Stewart from the Kimberley. She has relocated to Perth. A potential AFLW draftee.

She was almost forced to quit the sport, because the pathway for girls abruptly ended. "At 14, the boys get big and they start to overpower you."
5 years ago things changed, with a concerted effort by the AFL and WAFC to make it easier for females to play the game.

When she moved to Perth, the school, everything, there were so many options, she had no idea. Other girls playing football.

Female Participation for Australian Rules Football in WA
2013: 19,326
2017: 92,761

Source: ABC (National) News, overnight.
Those numbers are really cool. I've been crossing Canning Bridge to go to work, study, etc. most days of the week for almost 20y. In the afternoons/evenings you see the joggers, walkers, riders exercising around that part of the river. The other week, I saw for the first time a 20 something year old jogging the path bouncing a football. I just think it is really positive to see the girls taking the opportunity that the boys have always had and getting stuck into playing AFL with a hope to play at that top level.

Plenty of WA media people thinking Freo will finish above West Coast on the ladder now. None of them have either team in the top 8 though. Cometti the highest with us at 10th I think. Majority of the East Coast media picking WC to be the team to fall this season. Very few have us climbing the ladder at all though. It's a bit strange because quite a few have Fyfe with the Brownlow but have us finishing worse than we did last year. If Fyfe is in Brownlow winning form is it possible we can lose ground overall? A few mentions of Alex Pearce, Banfield and Brayshaw in the breakout section which is good to see.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/af...eams-predictions-for-the-season-ng-b88777052z
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-17/crystal-ball-aflcomaus-2018-predictions

Who predicted Richmond to win last year, or Bulldogs year before ??

Is that the sound of crickets ???

Who predicted Richmond to win last year, or Bulldogs year before ??

Is that the sound of crickets ???
If you look at each of those teams, both had a season in the prior two years where they played finals. Dogs lost to Adelaide and Richmond came 5th and lost to North I think.

We have won 12 games in two seasons with a percentage of 70. Not saying we can't win, but I don't think you can use either of those as justification for our ascent.

If you look at each of those teams, both had a season in the prior two years where they played finals. Dogs lost to Adelaide and Richmond came 5th and lost to North I think.

We have won 12 games in two seasons with a percentage of 70. Not saying we can't win, but I don't think you can use either of those as justification for our ascent.

Yeh but we aren't talking about a premiership, its a 6th to 8th finish that might be possible. Plenty of sides have come from the bottom half of the ladder the previous seasons and then played finals. I think Freo managed it in 2010 .

Yeh but we aren't talking about a premiership, its a 6th to 8th finish that might be possible. Plenty of sides have come from the bottom half of the ladder the previous seasons and then played finals. I think Freo managed it in 2010 .

That is what i meant!!:)
Ah! Fair enough. In that case I totally agree. We are definitely capable of finals this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back