MRP / Trib. 2018 MRP - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

remember the original cable tv concept whereby you paid to have programs so they could be ad-free? that being the whole idea? now there's more advertising and CROSS PROMOTIONS than fta - it's garbage except for some sport, news and the odd doco - no thanks
Went Netflix & watch footy on the afl app, small iPad screen but that’s ok

The rest of the AFL is starting to fear us, they can see the green shoots sprouting.

Ain’t gunna be able to keep us down for much longer. Hope the club has plenty to say over the course of this week, call it out for what it is.

If the Curnow boys were not Carlton players, how would we as supporters view the decision.

I still believe if an appeal was lodged, it should have included May.

Sorry Arr0w.

Even as a hypothetical, I can't imagine Charlie playing for a different team! :p

Apparently hasn't happened since Will Minson got 4 weeks overturned in the VFL, Heath Shaw got a week for putting his hand on the umps shoulder while remonstrating and back to Diesel in '97.

Just terribly coincidental it happened 3 times after Hawkins got done and they started looking.

Nothing for Hodge or the other Geelong player last week. Not even raised.

There was Todd Curley (WB) in 2001, who got 4 weeks (reduced to 2 on appeal) for running into (and flattening) an umpire, despite Curley looking in another direction entirely for the whole duration of the incident. That was for unintentional contact (I think they called it careless/negligent, but it was a very harsh call). I can't find any footage, but Caro's article is here https://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/05/10/1052280480803.html .

I think it is important to remember that the outcomes of these appeals are not actually pre-determined, no matter how deep anyone's cynicism runs. As someone posted earlier, it remains likely that Charlie's appeal will be dismissed, and that will serve as the pro-Carlton 'sweetener' for Ed being suspended. But really, if Ed's appeal is upheld and he gets a week, it's probably the right outcome. Props to Marcus Clarke for a stellar job last night, but the Tribunal's decision was ridiculous - Ed's touch was overtly intentional.

I don't have a problem with the May decision - his contact looked unintentional to me, and that should be the yardstick, for the sake of some sort of consistency. As well as citing all the players that should be cited!

remember the original cable tv concept whereby you paid to have programs so they could be ad-free? that being the whole idea? now there's more advertising and CROSS PROMOTIONS than fta - it's garbage except for some sport, news and the odd doco - no thanks
Agree 100%. problem that some of us interstaters have is that unless you pay, you just can't see games. even the local teams aren't played live on FTA for away games.
They have their hands firmly clamped on the plums of sport unfortunately, love the F1 too so only way to watch is pay Foxtel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from now on at the start of each quarter every player dips his hands in a bucket of warm coffee-scroll icing - we'll find the real culprits...........

2478969_0.jpg

Wouldn't want to do that to the female umpire Eleni...

Agree 100%. problem that some of us interstaters have is that unless you pay, you just can't see games. even the local teams aren't played live on FTA for away games.
They have their hands firmly clamped on the plums of sport unfortunately, love the F1 too so only way to watch is pay Foxtel.
hear that - sometimes forget interstaters don't get a lot of choice

from now on at the start of each quarter every player dips his hands in a bucket of warm coffee-scroll icing - we'll find the real culprits...........

2478969_0.jpg
Why you have to mention coffee scrolls at 11pm at night? :mad:
No decent citizen can find one at this time of night and now that it is on my mind, there is little else that will occupy this idle synapse until the morning, when the bakery opens.
I guess the good news is that if they find us licking their window at 5am, they may just prioritise the coffee scroll baking.
Return of serve...Boston buns...with butter.

Out of all of the three this week, May was the only one that actually moved the umpire. His action pushed the ump back slightly (only slightly) but did actually move him. That is more deliberate than either of the Curnow's actions.
Out of all 4 incidents, Hawkins by far the worst as he actually struck out towards the umpire whilst looking at him. If any of the others get a week, then that deserved more.

Kobe mutch with 51 seconds left in the 2nd quarter and Ed Curnow 34 seconds left in the second quarter both made contact with the female umpire who had no issue with either, Kobe mutch very similar to the Charlie incident in that he was almost protecting the umpire.

I also counted 3 other incidents in the first half 2 with Myers and one with Cripps the AFL underestimates how much incidental contact their is between players and umpires and have opened up a can of worms, I can’t wait until something happens in a prelim final and watch the way the AFL weasel their way out of it.

Kobe mutch with 51 seconds left in the 2nd quarter and Ed Curnow 34 seconds left in the second quarter both made contact with the female umpire who had no issue with either, Kobe mutch very similar to the Charlie incident in that he was almost protecting the umpire.

I also counted 3 other incidents in the first half 2 with Myers and one with Cripps the AFL underestimates how much incidental contact their is between players and umpires and have opened up a can of worms, I can’t wait until something happens in a prelim final and watch the way the AFL weasel their way out of it.

Damn straight.

Eagle eyed fans are going to be screenshotting contact on a weekly basis and tweeting it to the media

What was the Cripps one like? Because he got fined $1500 and I don’t remember anything.

I would almost walk in and argue that AFL and media influence has ensured that neither player will be afforded a fair, unbiased assessment.

I mean this is the equivalent of a justice system isn't it......or is it just a Kangaroo Court depending on who in charge like?

It will be interesting to see how the club react.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gil has been in contact with the club to come to an agreement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back