Opinion 2018 Non-Crows #4: You say Potato, I say Portato (Cont in Part 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
not for the overwhelming majority of the population that are nowhere near the venue. It's a benefit specific almost entirely to the event goers.

Other than those that say, use or live near or on roads.

But leaving that aside, not every public expenditure must benefit each individual citizen.

And other road users.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The main congestion is around the oval itself and reducing as you get further out. In terms of arterial road congestion it'd be no different to ordinary peak hour. If it's so bad, I'm sure people will just short out their shit and pay for public transport. If not, there'll be a bit of extra congestion at very well known times for a limited period on certain roads within metro Adelaide. Not really of much concern. The wait to get into RAH in an ambulance is probably longer.

Other than those that say, use or live near or on roads.

But leaving that aside, not every public expenditure must benefit each individual citizen.

Of course not, but the government are choosing to de-fund it which is a good decision that I support. It's very responsible pushing that cost to the users. I'd wager most of the complaints won't be coming from general road users but rather from the users of the free service and the attendees who drive but want less congestion for their journey. Most people don't give a shit.

Of course not, but the government are choosing to de-fund it which is a good decision that I support. It's very responsible pushing that cost to the users. I'd wager most of the complaints won't be coming from general road users but rather from the users of the free service and the attendees who drive but want less congestion for their journey. Most people don't give a shit.

Which is roughly around 2/3 of attendees to matches - and they will give a shit.

People who drive to matches would be in a minority.

Whether people are aware of a benefit or not does not determine whether it exists or not.

I'm not sure that being miserly is the virtue that you may believe.

Personally, I'm quite happy for events of significance, and sport does hold significance in our society, to be made more accessible. I think we run the risk that football, and other events, are now only becoming for the wealthy. That's bad for the people who are not the wealthy, it's bad for the game, it's bad for the sustainability of holding those events.

Which is roughly around 2/3 of attendees to matches - and they will give a shit.

People who drive to matches would be in a minority.

Still a tiny minority of the total population of which most simply won't care. At this stage you haven't had your freebie taken away yet and you're bleating like a child. The clubs may yet pass the full cost on via our ticket prices and you keep your precious free transport. Ironically, as an Alice Soring resident and SMA member, I think it's fairer for the cost to be borne through higher ticket prices than to the population at large. Even if not a user of either car or PT when I get to a game, at least I theoretically share in the benefit it provides.

Whether people are aware of a benefit or not does not determine whether it exists or not.

I'm not sure that being miserly is the virtue that you may believe.

Personally, I'm quite happy for events of significance, and sport does hold significance in our society, to be made more accessible. I think we run the risk that football, and other events, are now only becoming for the wealthy. That's bad for the people who are not the wealthy, it's bad for the game, it's bad for the sustainability of holding those events.

The line is always going to be drawn somewhere. For some it's the cost of the tickets themselves. For others it will be the cost of the PT on top of the tickets. For some it's the electricity to run the TV to watch it on FTA. Should the government subsidise the price of tickets any further so the people that can't afford them now will then be able to? Not everyone gets to do everything that they want. Life's not fair that way, but it's how it is.

Palm oil has a very low oxidation which means it becomes a trans fat very quickly. Trans fat is one of the biggest causes of cancer. Especially in the endoctrine system

One of the reasons we have changes in our climate is a result of deforestation in Indonesia. Palm forrests have been cut down on a massive scale. These Forrest's provided a barrier for tropical air flow south onto our continent. As a result of the barrier not being as effective, this air flow inhibits weather systems off the southern ocean crossing Australia. This impacts on droughts in inland Australia like nsw. The cold air systems don't make it as far or as strong.

We don't feel it as bad in sa since the geo engineering of rain in the lake eyre catchment system and the filling of lake eyre creates a barrier for this warm air flow and allows those southern ocean systems to reach us again

For every action there is a reaction

I was recently in the middle of nowhere Sumatra and the deforestation was simply sad - huge amounts of jungle burnt and planted with the palms on an amazingly large scale!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main congestion is around the oval itself and reducing as you get further out. In terms of arterial road congestion it'd be no different to ordinary peak hour. If it's so bad, I'm sure people will just short out their shit and pay for public transport. If not, there'll be a bit of extra congestion at very well known times for a limited period on certain roads within metro Adelaide. Not really of much concern. The wait to get into RAH in an ambulance is probably longer.
I was focusing on the drink driving aspect.

It really is a nothing debate. The system wont change. Just the method of payment will move from the State to us members via an increase in our memebership.

If you want to make it user pays, catch PT to the Footy.

I was focusing on the drink driving aspect.

It really is a nothing debate. The system wont change. Just the method of payment will move from the State to us members via an increase in our memebership.

If you want to make it user pays, catch PT to the Footy.

If you've got the cash to drink at the footy then you've got the cash to pay for PT. I can't imagine that there's any sympathy anywhere for someone caught DUI claiming they couldn't afford PT and so had no choice but to drive.

If you've got the cash to drink at the footy then you've got the cash to pay for PT. I can't imagine that there's any sympathy anywhere for someone caught DUI claiming they couldn't afford PT and so had no choice but to drive.
Fair points.

The only reason I am against user pays is my own convenience. Don't want a couple of the "Apricot Slice Brigade" holding up the bus as they fish for coins to oay the driver......

Fair points.

The only reason I am against user pays is my own convenience. Don't want a couple of the "Apricot Slice Brigade" holding up the bus as they fish for coins to oay the driver......

Apricot Slice Brigade will not be holding anyone up, as they will have concession cards most they will pay is a gold coin during peak hour any other time and it free, Same as Vets, anyone over 60 who works less than 20 hours, no matter if your partner works, Along with unemployed, Students, while under 5's are Free.

End of the Day the Government still pays and Liable to pay more, under a total user-pay system if the Clubs and SMA don't chip in. As the people with concession card will still catch the Buses and trains while the others will drive.
Which is the reason they are pushing for payment from larger bodies? ie Crows, Port, SMA. and maybe a sponsor. not individuals on the day.

I'd like to see if there's been any donations from owners of CBD car parks to the liberal party

Spare a thought for families with Children attending the footy

23 bucks a game to catch public transport

I'd like to see if there's been any donations from owners of CBD car parks to the liberal party

I never consider families. Having children is a choice and sacrifices must be made. Sacrifices that the missus and I weren't prepared to make. There's plenty worse off than the family of 4 that can't quite cover the ticket prices and cost of public transport to get to 11 AFL games per year.

But the donor thing is something that crossed my mind. I had thought of businesses geared towards personal vehicle ownership. It would be like the Hollowmen episode where they were 'fighting' obesity and the party president rolls in and tears strips off the senior advisors. "He wants to provide free furquing what??? Is he furquing crazy, I've just had the CEO of furquing ..... on the phone, does he want to furquing explain it to him?"

But the donor thing is something that crossed my mind. I had thought of businesses geared towards personal vehicle ownership. It would be like the Hollowmen episode where they were 'fighting' obesity and the party president rolls in and tears strips off the senior advisors. "He wants to provide free furquing what??? Is he furquing crazy, I've just had the CEO of furquing ..... on the phone, does he want to furquing explain it to him?"

It's how the liberal party rolls

I never consider families. Having children is a choice and sacrifices must be made. Sacrifices that the missus and I weren't prepared to make. There's plenty worse off than the family of 4 that can't quite cover the ticket prices and cost of public transport to get to 11 AFL games per year.

This hurts port more. You pay 15 bucks more a general admission ticket than at our games. Many of those get on public transport. Port need members

This hurts port more. You pay 15 bucks more a general admission ticket than at our games. Many of those get on public transport. Port need members
Port habe more GA tickets open so they don't have to pay a seat levy. I think the AFL take most of they money from gameday tickets, so it's probably not a huge deal for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back