List Mgmt. 2019/20 Trade/Delist/Re-sign Predictions/Opinion (now with TRADE RADIO)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Riley Knight’s days as a Crow are numbered. Might be steak knives in a trade, or maybe there’s an unwanted player at another club who we feel could have a role here.

On top of the obvious Otten retirement, I think the re-signing of Davis signals the end for one of Mackay or Douglas.

Jacobs will be retained for one more season as a backup to the rampaging ROB, if he chooses to.

Betts will play on. Gibbs will stay.

We’ll be working hard to lock up all of Greenwood, Keath and ROB ASAP. The only one who I can imagine leaving is Hugh, but still more likely to stay than go IMO.

As far as the rookie list goes, Hunter and Wilson will both be delisted. Unsure on Strachan. CEY is certainly now a required player, and Butts and Murphy have both already re-signed.

Can’t see us being too active in bringing in players via trade and FA this year but there could be a surprise or two I suppose. The Grundy rumours are complete trash though. Our focus will be mainly on the draft, but I would love to add a left-footed outside mid who isn’t a complete soft coq and can hit targets by foot. Someone who can actually play a half forward flank role effectively would be nice too, but good luck when you’re being coached by Ben ******* Hart.

They'd be making a play for Grundy - what a combo with Lycett, switching forward.

The missing piece
In all seriousness, what would port need to give up to get him. I’ve seen people suggest it’ll cost our Carlton pick and ROB. Do port even have that sort of currency, and would they be willing to part with it?

How is Jordan Houlahan going in the VFL, is he close to a call up to AFL?
A player I always felt had potential and would suit a team like ours with his mobility and marking ability.
Sturt were pretty surprised that he got drafted. Bit of a highlight reel player. The odd big mark and spectacular thing.

I think Riley Knight’s days as a Crow are numbered. Might be steak knives in a trade, or maybe there’s an unwanted player at another club who we feel could have a role here.

On top of the obvious Otten retirement, I think the re-signing of Davis signals the end for one of Mackay or Douglas.

• Jacobs will be retained for one more season as a backup to the rampaging ROB, if he chooses to.

We’ll be working hard to lock up all of Greenwood, Keath and ROB ASAP. The only one who I can imagine leaving is Hugh, but still more likely to stay than go IMO.

As far as the rookie list goes, Hunter and Wilson will both be delisted. Unsure on Strachan. CEY is certainly now a required player, and Butts and Murphy have both already re-signed.

Can’t see us being too active in bringing in players via trade and FA this year but there could be a surprise or two I suppose. The Grundy rumours are complete trash though. Our focus will be mainly on the draft, but I would love to add a left-footed outside mid who isn’t a complete soft coq and can hit targets by foot. Someone who can actually play a half forward flank role effectively would be nice too, but good luck when you’re being coached by Ben ******* Hart.
I reckon at this exact point in the season, you've got it pretty much spot on.

SENIOR LIST
Retire/Delist - Otten, Douglas, Mackay
Trade/Delist - Knight
Re-Contract - Jacobs (1 yr), Greenwood* (2-4 yrs), Keath* (2-4 yrs), Kelly (2 yrs), O'Brien (3-4 yrs).

*Will receive 'Godfather' offers from other clubs that we will probably not be able to match, but hopefully our offers are decent enough, and they stay.

ROOKIE LIST
Promote to Senior List - Murphy, CEY
Retain - Butts, Strachan
Delist - Hunter, Wilson

NOTES
  • I think there's a chance Sauce (free agent) will leave - if offered a 2-year contract elsewhere.
  • Poholke (contracted to 2020) would be some chance to be traded.
  • Gibbs (contracted to 2021) is a talking point at the moment, but I'm assuming the club will stick with him, and hope that he puts his horror 2019 behind him.
  • Prepare to be surprised. There's often something during the trade period that pops up unexpectedly. Sam Gibson, anyone?!!

We're not getting anything for knight. He's delist material. Just seems to have lost all hunger.

How is Jordan Houlahan going in the VFL, is he close to a call up to AFL?
A player I always felt had potential and would suit a team like ours with his mobility and marking ability.
There is something there but just doesn’t produce it enough. Plays maybe 15 minutes of good football a game and goes missing the remainder of the game. Questionable work ethic and fitness when he arrived but has been a lot better this year.
I think we will keep him on IMO but who knows with us

Just thinking about knight and laird and how they've dropped away, there does seem to be a long running trend where the longer players are on our list they tend to become complacent and performance drops off.

I'm convinced this is a mirror of our off field culture and holding onto ordinary administrators and assistants well past their use by date engendering a general culture of 'wow how easy is this and how good are we' matesiness.

When you rock up to Campo there every day of your career with his aloof disdain of the outside world and backslapping nothingness it would be easy to fall into a complacency trap.

We should try a policy of turning over off field staff every 5 years max to keep things fresh.

I haven't seen anything on McAdam that justified our high opinions of him. He has class but does not get the ball enough. He needs to improve his engine considerably. IMO I don't think he will make it. Hope I'm wrong.

Just thinking about knight and laird and how they've dropped away, there does seem to be a long running trend where the longer players are on our list they tend to become complacent and performance drops off.

I'm convinced this is a mirror of our off field culture and holding onto ordinary administrators and assistants well past their use by date engendering a general culture of 'wow how easy is this and how good are we' matesiness.

When you rock up to Campo there every day of your career with his aloof disdain of the outside world and backslapping nothingness it would be easy to fall into a complacency trap.

We should try a policy of turning over off field staff every 5 years max to keep things fresh.
The key is that players keep improving their individual games.

This doesn't happen enough IMO. What improves is their professionalism, fitness, recovery, turn up to preseason in good nick, show leadership around the club & on the field, participate strongly in team meetings, help usher in young players to the club, knowledge of our structures and game plan etc

All things other than their own personal kicking, marking, handballing, tackling.

Take Laird. Brilliant player, consistent, great intercept mark for his size. What's the one knock on him? Kicking lacks a bit of penetration. Bit prone to the high loopy kick to a contest rather than something more damaging.

Has this part of his game improved one iota since he started? No. Not even slightly.

It's like a player gets in the team, do enough good things to earn a regular spot and find themselves a role.

Then that's the end.

Bunker down in their role. They have enough ability to play that position and they can just keep rolling it out forever.

Knight and Laird are completely different. Knight has always been a bit of a hacker, with no outstanding skills. When he started, Laird was a trier who kicked the ball aout of bounds a lot. IMO, he has over-achieved out of sight in his career so far: see ball, get ball, get rid of it. He has deserved his accolades and got the most out of his limited physical resources. My take on him is not that he is "dropping off", but that oppo teams are belatedly giving him a lot more attention, leading to him being under much more pressure in one-on-ones and disposal. He has to learn to cope with it: if he is allowed to run around as previously, he would be just as good and effective as he was.

I haven't seen anything on McAdam that justified our high opinions of him. He has class but does not get the ball enough. He needs to improve his engine considerably. IMO I don't think he will make it. Hope I'm wrong.
He himself noted he needed to.improve his engine..next year imo he will push for selection. Remember last year he was playing SANFL with sturt and the year before he was playing amateurs..give him time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're not getting anything for knight. He's delist material. Just seems to have lost all hunger.
He could have his uses in other roles, as a midfield tagger for example. That's just something we refuse to develop him in. Wouldn't be surprised if we got little for him, but I don't think he's a complete write-off yet.

Are you really judging a small forward on disposal counts? That's dumb.

Calf tear on the eve of the season really set him back, Fitness was already needing work, set him back even further. Will be better in this regard after another preseason. Talents there, fitness is one of the easier things to build.

Still want Francis on our list.

Not sure what we'll have to pay Essendon though.

Agreed, oodles of talent, versatile, but struggling to fit in what must be a complex environment to work in.

I think he’s just hit his ceiling. Strong runner, moderate level skills, tough, but just lacking that something else to seperate him from borderline best 22/role player type, to genuine best 22 player. This is the type of player we need to get better at recognising earlier, as they clog the 22 and prevent younger players with more talent and potential development in them from getting games.

I still think he’s got some currency, not a heap, but someone would chase him I’d think.

Day is a RFA, a monty to end up at our poor cousins

On HTC 2PS6200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fits with their penchant for average former high draft picks.

I'd trade Laird, he'd have decent currency

I think we need to chill out a little re Rory, having an off year but has been ultra last 3-4 years. Did have a bad year or 2 under Sando after bursting onto the scene. I think he’ll turn it around next year, or even earlier.

Agreed, oodles of talent, versatile, but struggling to fit in what must be a complex environment to work in.

I think he’s just hit his ceiling. Strong runner, moderate level skills, tough, but just lacking that something else to seperate him from borderline best 22/role player type, to genuine best 22 player. This is the type of player we need to get better at recognising earlier, as they clog the 22 and prevent younger players with more talent and potential development in them from getting games.

I still think he’s got some currency, not a heap, but someone would chase him I’d think.

I do wonder if his injuries made it a much slower process then it needed to be. That said, I do wonder how much damage they did in a momentum sense, as Knight was one of our better performers against the Dogs in that '15 elimination final.

Whilst I wouldn't say he looked like he had it all, he had a spot all 2016 and may have locked down that half forward spot with Cameron. His 2017, and 2018 were good for the type of role he was in as well

Still want Francis on our list.

Not sure what we'll have to pay Essendon though.
I hope we don’t lose him but with Worsfold’s baffling selections each week I wouldn’t blame him for looking elsewhere.
From what I can tell of him at club events he still appears and sounds like he loves the place and with Ambrose missing 4-5 weeks he hopefully gets a good run in his best position

Not sure about either of those. Wouldn't be surprised if Betts hangs up the boots. I think he's struggling to get up more weeks than not. Had a good patch in the last month but was very poor before that.

Not sure that Gibbs wants to stay, or that we want him to stay. A bit to play out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back