Socceroos 2019 AFC ASIAN CUP-Socceroos Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw the pen that UAE received in extra time to win. This is what we're, unsurprisingly, going to be up against.

1:45 in, gets touched on the shoulder and literally flops to the ground. I might save my anger and not even bother watching.

I just saw the pen that UAE received in extra time to win. This is what we're, unsurprisingly, going to be up against.

1:45 in, gets touched on the shoulder and literally flops to the ground. I might save my anger and not even bother watching.

There's VAR in the quarter finals so hopefully not.

UAE it is. Home nation, they’ll be fierce support. They love turning out against us.

Have to start Giannou. Better with him there instead of Maclaren. Not really any other changes. Leckie won’t start, he’s still coming off the bench

Im not convinced by Giannou. I'd prefer to see a fluid front 3 of Ikonomidis/Leckie/Mabil.

I actually had no emotion watching those penalties. Could not have cared if we lost so is the lack of us showing anything.

Our game plan is to push up our full backs (who can't cross) to whip in balls to the box and look for Mclaren (who is 175cm and can't head) to out jump centre halves who tower over him.

I'm not even being facetious either.

Sainsbury has hardly played for a club in 2 years and Degenek is leaving for ******* Saudi Arabia. Both of them ****** their progression mid career

I see big things for Mabil. Needs to join either the Dutch league or English Championship/lower level EPL team ASAP though, he's too good for Denmark. I guess that's why his club signed him up to a long term deal guaranteeing them a decent transfer fee.

Would rather those playing in the lower european leagues come back to the A-League. Improve the quality here, and then get guaranteed game time. Only go overseas if you are in a big league like Leckie, Mooy and Ryan. Rogic could get a big move but has declined which sucks
Edit: And Arzani can stay where he is as he is on loan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far this tournament I've watched Australia vs Jordan and Uzbekistan. All I can say is that I am thankful our path to the WC is now through Asia rather than risking playoffs against Uruguay or Argentina because they'd beat us 5-0 in the away leg alone.

I know we are missing Aaron Mooy but he's not Leo Messi, we really should be able to control the ball without him there. Last night's game plan seemed to be to give the ball to Rogic and hope he could skip past a back 6 to create a chance. Whenever we pushed the ball wide to the right we'd end up with a narrow triangle that was easy to defend, whenever we went left Behich and Ikonimidis got their wires crossed.

The front 3 + 1 doesn't work. Why didn't we pick Juric in the squad? We've sacrificed a strong centre forward who doesn't score a lot of goals to have another midget who doesn't score a lot of goals. Maclaren just runs around like a Jack Russell hoping for a half chance. Had one shot saved then one cross from Rogic go past his boot but otherwise had no impact. Frustratingly when Giannou came on (all 185cm of him) he was penalised for breathing too heavily near the defenders.

Fitting that we only won because of Mat Ryan. Looking at the team sheet you can see him and Leckie (after he came on, still rusty) are the only ones who regularly test themselves against top class opposition. I just hope for Friday's game that Leckie can start and we can come up with a formation (minus Rogic who is suspended for having studs on his boots) that creates a few chances.

Would rather those playing in the lower european leagues come back to the A-League. Improve the quality here, and then get guaranteed game time. Only go overseas if you are in a big league like Leckie, Mooy and Ryan. Rogic could get a big move but has declined which sucks

This is how it should be for Australian Footballers:

15-18 - either A League academy or top quality overseas academy.
18-21 - Best young footballers establish themselves in the A League and start to dominate regularly.
21-24 - Join a club in Holland/Belgium/English Championship/Celtic/Rangers - the best leagues for young developing players. A select few who are absolute guns could go straight to Bundesliga / Serie A / EPL but this will be rare.
24-30 - At this age if they aren't developing and attracting interest from bigger clubs best for them to return home to the A League. The very best players of this age group will end up in the Bundesliga / Championship plus a few in the EPL.
30+ The guys who want big pay cheques should go chase them in Saudi Arabia / China etc but still try and get them back in the A League with big deals. Gun players will keep playing in top leagues until they are 33-34. After which we need them returning to the A League.

Basically if Aussie footballer are playing overseas they should only be playing at European clubs when they are young and developing and if they aren't making it in Europe get them back to the A League. We should have zero Aussies playing in the Middle East / China at the peak of their careers. I don't see the point in our players hanging around the smaller European leagues like Denmark / Serbia / Norway etc unless they have career progression prospects at better clubs.

This is how it should be for Australian Footballers:

15-18 - either A League academy or top quality overseas academy.
18-21 - Best young footballers establish themselves in the A League and start to dominate regularly.
21-24 - Join a club in Holland/Belgium/English Championship/Celtic/Rangers - the best leagues for young developing players. A select few who are absolute guns could go straight to Bundesliga / Serie A / EPL but this will be rare.
24-30 - At this age if they aren't developing and attracting interest from bigger clubs best for them to return home to the A League. The very best players of this age group will end up in the Bundesliga / Championship plus a few in the EPL.
30+ The guys who want big pay cheques should go chase them in Saudi Arabia / China etc but still try and get them back in the A League with big deals. Gun players will keep playing in top leagues until they are 33-34. After which we need them returning to the A League.

Basically if Aussie footballer are playing overseas they should only be playing at European clubs when they are young and developing and if they aren't making it in Europe get them back to the A League. We should have zero Aussies playing in the Middle East / China at the peak of their careers. I don't see the point in our players hanging around the smaller European leagues like Denmark / Serbia / Norway etc unless they have career progression prospects at better clubs.
I just think how good would the A-League be if basically the whole socceroos squad came back plus a few others like Juric. Would increase the level you have to be to go overseas anyway because the level here would be much better. Like I said, only Arzani, Mooy, Ryan and Leckie have a legitimate case to stay overseas. And Asia I think is a massive no-no. Shouldn't be considered for national selection

I just think how good would the A-League be if basically the whole socceroos squad came back plus a few others like Juric. Would increase the level you have to be to go overseas anyway because the level here would be much better. Like I said, only Arzani, Mooy, Ryan and Leckie have a legitimate case to stay overseas. And Asia I think is a massive no-no. Shouldn't be considered for national selection
I'd rather our players play in Korea and Japan than the A League.

People overlook that there's not a lot of money in the A-League.

Rostyn "yo-yo" Griffiths left Perth to play in Uzbekistan because there was more money on offer and is now back at A-League club number 5 because he doesn't want to live in Uzbekistan. Because it's Uzbekistan.

Soccer faces the same problem as rugby, minus the international eligibility issue. As a player your career window is only 10-15 years and unless you are a marquee player in the A-League chances are if you have overseas interest it will be for more money regardless of the relative standard.

Totally agree. With 2 more clubs joining the league we really need these sorts of players back in the A League.

Totally agree. With 2 more clubs joining the league we really need these sorts of players back in the A League.
Financially it just doesn't work though. I suspect we will be back to 10 teams soon enough anyway

Mapping out their age career path is pretty pointless. Mooy and Rogic didn't make it in Europe till mid 20s
Viduka went an played in Croatia to develop
Kewell went to England as a 15 year old.
There's no correct way to do anything, what is vital though is they pick the right clubs with the right coaches.

Holland, France, Germany, Belgium etc have very good development records. Pick the right side at the right time and you will become a better player. Moving to the championship as a backup LB under a bottom half side and you could end up playing no football in a side more interested in results than development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back