Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Claremont’s Jack Cooley secured the Mel Whinnen Medal with a stunning performance in the 2019 Simply Energy WAFL Colts Grand Final.
Playing as the centreman for the Tigers, Cooley was enormous with 33 possessions (18 contested), 14 clearances, seven tackles, seven inside 50s and five marks, helping the Tigers defeat Peel by five points to win their fourth WAFL Colts Premiership this decade.
“Honestly I don’t think it will settle in for a few days [winning the premiership], but the vibe around the Club has been good all year. It’s just unreal at the moment,” he said.
Despite the game having such high stakes, Cooley was exceptionally calm throughout the game and was pretty relaxed even before the first bounce.
“I just stayed relaxed, didn’t really think about the game too much. I just kept everything simple, listened to music, stayed hydrated and then went out and played my footy,” he said.
He was brutal in the midfield often throwing his body on the line, desperately trying to win the contested ball and clearances for his team, but also trying to nullify one of Peel’s strengths.

JACKCOOLEY
HEIGHT
189 cm
WEIGHT
80 kg
CLUB FROM
Claremont JFC

Earlier, Dockers Next Generation Academy prospects Leno Thomas (14 disposals) and Isaiah Butters (four goals) were influential as Claremont claimed an epic upset win over Peel in the Colts decider.

Butters, who is Carlton young gun Sam Petrevski-Seton's cousin, had only booted five goals in four games this year before stepping up on the big stage.

So with GC likely getting a PP, a bid for Green coming from either Adelaide or Sydney.

It will go something like this:

1. Rowell (GC)
2. Anderson (GC) PP
3. Melbourne
4. Green (GWS) Adelaide Bid
5. Adelaide
6. Sydney
7. Fremantle (Saints trade for Brad Hill)
8. Fremantle
9. North Melbourne

**** this ****ing rigged compromised competition.
This sort of stuff really robs you of your passion for the game.

This move might (might) assist the ailing Suns (which is the purpose of priority picks and they deserve them by most metrics) but it is far more likely to assist big Melbourne clubs as Anderson is much more likely to end up at Essendon, Collingwood or Richmond than play out his career at the failing marketing experiment.

The move also directly hurts small clubs like Melbourne, Saints and us by pushing all of them down the draft order.

They're going to rort themselves out of an audience. We don't deserve this shoddy treatment!

This sort of stuff really robs you of your passion for the game.

This move might (might) assist the ailing Suns (which is the purpose of priority picks and they deserve them by most metrics) but it is far more likely to assist big Melbourne clubs as Anderson is much more likely to end up at Essendon, Collingwood or Richmond than play out his career at the failing marketing experiment.

The move also directly hurts small clubs like Melbourne, Saints and us by pushing all of them down the draft order.

They're going to rort themselves out of an audience. We don't deserve this shoddy treatment!
I totally agree but from a business perspective we clearly see why they are doing this. However, given all the massive ******* advantages and bent rules the GC have been the beneficiaries of, if these two pull the pin after 2 years then the AFL just needs to conceed that the Suns experiment has failed. They simply cannot continue to compromise the competition for the sake of keeping these fuchs alive.

To me GC are like transplant recipients who, due to complications, have had to have repeat follow up surgeries. At some point though too much damage has been done and the surgeons just can't do any more. We are just about at that point.

I totally agree but from a business perspective we clearly see why they are doing this. However, given all the massive ******* advantages and bent rules the GC have been the beneficiaries of, if these two pull the pin after 2 years then the AFL just needs to conceed that the Suns experiment has failed. They simply cannot continue to compromise the competition for the sake of keeping these fuchs alive.

To me GC are like transplant recipients who, due to complications, have had to have repeat follow up surgeries. At some point though too much damage has been done and the surgeons just can't do any more. We are just about at that point.
They're going to use Brisbane's turnaround as an excuse to keep them going for years to come yet.

Nothing football related is going to affect their desire to push into the SE QLD market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll put my tin foil hat on here and say, that if Rowell and Anderson weren't best friends and joint at the hip then they would not have received a priority pick.

May their friendship grow and flourish in a Lleyton Hewitt-Andrew McLeod kinda fashion up there.

If they keep them all.
Well that is the challenge.

GWS did in the end and now they are in a GF.

The AFL will back these clubs to the hilt to ensure they are successful - in reality its just a matter of time for GC as the AFL will keep pumping talent into the club just like GWS.

Should look to the state leagues for a hard-running mid between 22-26. Not Mitch Hibberd. Don't think the club will redraft him anyway.

Wish there was a suitable FA this year. Just someone that could potentially help with our transitions and midfield defensive structures if Jacobs can't get fit. Don't think Tyson or Hall really have the capability to do that.

Should look to the state leagues for a hard-running mid between 22-26. Not Mitch Hibberd. Don't think the club will redraft him anyway.

Wish there was a suitable FA this year. Just someone that could potentially help with our transitions and midfield defensive structures if Jacobs can't get fit. Don't think Tyson or Hall really have the capability to do that.

Partington

But Rawlings gave him the boot once already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back