2019 AFLW Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/04...irmed-expansion-teams-draft-lottery-revealed/

The AFLW draft order has been confirmed, with the four expansion sides set to hold the final four picks in the first round.

A draft lottery was held by the AFL to determine the order of the expansion teams, with St Kilda having pick 11, Richmond 12, West Coast 13 and Gold Coast 14.

This means Collingwood will have the first pick in the draft and Brisbane pick two.

The AFLW sign and trade period gets underway on Monday, with the four expansion sides able to sign up to 12 players.

Last year, Geelong was given picks one and two in the draft, while North Melbourne had to settle for pick 12.

This was due to the difference in the club’s approaches to free agency and signing, with the Kangaroos bringing in stars from a number of clubs.

The AFL will confirm the draft order after the trade and sign period, likely meaning they’ll assign the expansion teams another draft pick based on who they sign.

The existing teams will lose up to four players, with the exceptions of Brisbane and Fremantle, who can lose eight.

This is to give the Eagles and Suns a leg-up in their respective markets.

Full first round:

Round 1

1 Collingwood
2 Brisbane Lions
3 GWS Giants
4 Western Bulldogs
5 Melbourne
6 North Melbourne
7 Geelong Cats
8 Fremantle
9 Carlton
10 Adelaide Crows
11 St Kilda
12 Richmond
13 West Coast Eagles
14 Gold Coast Suns

What's the AFLW draft like this year is it a strong draft from a Queensland prospective is it the right year for the Lions to have 4 first round picks
The U18 girls nationals begin beginning of June, we will start to see some names come out of that.

Can someone explain to me how Richmond traded their original first rounder for sabrina

Yet miraculously have pick 1 and 7?
The league decided that for Richmond to have a competitive list, they need to be given those extra picks. We can argue about whether their read on the situation is accurate, I'm of the view the Tigers will be not very good at this rate, but it really is as simple as that.

And ftr, you shouldn't be so shocked, I posted the following in the North thread on Thursday (I'm assuming it's ok to quote one's self off their own club board):
Richmond have only managed to secure two significant free agents, had to give up their highest draft pick (#12) for Sabrina Frederick. My guess is they will get the same recruiting compensation picks that Geelong got (two at the start of the first round) and one of those will be traded to the Bulldogs in exchange for Conti.

I went on to slightly lower my expectation in the List Changes thread, and the AFL ended up landing roughly halfway in between.

One thing I couldn't help but laugh at are the AFL's "look we're doing stuff" compensation picks in two-team states.

Brisbane: 20
Gold Coast: 22

West Coast: 19
Fremantle: 21

Just cancelling each other out, very close to totally pointless (same could be said of the Giants' pick 23 compo). Useful in the unlikely event of a trade, good for the ego of the QLD girl who would've gone at pick 38 but will now get bumped up 16 places.

The updated draft:

2019 NAB AFLW DRAFT ORDER AS AT APRIL 23
Round 1

1 Richmond Priority selection 1
2 Collingwood
3 Brisbane Lions
4 GWS Giants
5 St Kilda Priority selection 1
6 Western Bulldogs
7 Richmond Priority selection 2
8 Melbourne
9 St Kilda Priority selection 2
10 North Melbourne
11 Geelong Cats
12 Fremantle
13 Carlton
14 Adelaide Crows
15 Brisbane Lions Previously St Kilda (Kate McCarthy Trade)
16 Brisbane Lions Previously Richmond (Sabrina Frederick Trade)
17 Brisbane Lions Previously West Coast (McKenzie Dowrick Trade)
18 Gold Coast Suns

PICKS BY CLUB
Adelaide:
14, 37, 53, 68, 83
Brisbane: 3, 15 (traded from St Kilda), 16 (traded from Richmond), 17 (traded from West Coast), 20 (compensation), 28, 45, 60, 75
Carlton: 13, 36, 52, 67, 82
Collingwood: 2, 26, 44, 59, 74
Fremantle: 12, 21 (compensation), 35, 51, 66, 81
Geelong: 11, 34, 50, 65, 80
Gold Coast: 18, 22 (priority), 38, 42 (priority), 57, 69, 87
Greater Western Sydney: 4, 23 (compensation), 29, 46, 61, 76
Melbourne: 8, 48, 63, 78
North Melbourne: 10, 32, 49, 64, 79
Richmond: 1 (priority), 7 (priority), 25 (priority), 31 (priority), 40, 43 (priority), 55, 58 (priority), 71, 73 (priority), 85, 88
St Kilda: 5 (priority), 9 (priority), 27 (priority), 33 (priority), 41, 54, 72, 84, 89
West Coast: 19 (priority), 39, 56, 70, 86, 90
Western Bulldogs: 6, 24 (compensation), 30, 47, 62, 77
https://womens.afl/news/17837/tigers-handed-no-1-pick-seven-priority-selections

What a farce

Gws get pick 23 for bernrdi

Last year for a few all aussies
Hope
King
Bernardi
Jazz
Duffin
What did we get
Feel free to Remind me again , because no way you can sell it

Question
Why not just have state of origin and be done with it
As currently It's a fiasco and certainly displays a fair element of bias

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it turned out I overestimated the Magpies' compensation, despite contrary advice...

For the record, Collingwood received picks 11 and 19 for Bernardi last year. And GWS have lost more than just her in this year's expansion signing period, including one of their original marquee players in Emma Swanson.

Does anyone know how the father-daughter rule works? I've figured out all by my lonesome that there's a bidding process, but I haven't been able to decipher if it's just next available pick or whether there's some points shenanigans like in the mens. AFAICT, this year's F/Ds are Millie Brown, daughter of Paul, to Geelong and Isabella Grant, daughter of Chris, to the Bulldogs. Next year's F/Ds are Alice Burke, daughter of Nathan, to St Kilda and Tarni Brown, daughter of Gavin, to Collingwood. It's hard to tell if there are more though, because apparently the threshold isn't 100 games, it's one, for reasons not immediately apparent to me. I guess it would be tough for fans of St Kilda to watch the daughters of Justin Sweeney, if he ever has any, in another jumper.

If teams can match with next available pick, then bid placement would be huge for the Dogs, especially if they end up with 1, 6 and 8. A bid after their last first rounder would effectively be a free first rounder relative to a team making a bid in between their early picks. It also feels like it's relatively low risk for, say, St Kilda, to place a bid on Grant at pick 5 and force the Dogs to use an earlier pick than they'd like on her, potentially dropping a top prospect through to their next pick at pick 9. I fear that, perhaps, for the first time in their existence, the AFL may not have completely thought this one through. Can anyone alleviate my concerns?

Also, I am under the impression that the number next to Brisbane's picks matters little except where it relates to Gold Coast's picks. For the Lions purposes, unless the top Queensland girls somehow decide they're happy to play anywhere, they might as well have picks 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6. The same is probably true for the WA teams, but I'm too old and sleepy to care about that time zone. In a similar manner, I believe Geelong might as well tell everyone which Falcons girls they want to take where in advance of the draft, because we're all powerless to stop them. Lucy McEvoy might be a pick 1 contender in an open draft, but as long as she files the paperwork correctly, Geelong can take her with their last pick. The Falcons percentage is 471.43% right now. I'm not worried about that yet, but I'm worried that I might become worried, which worries me.

If anyone knows anything, or would like to tell me about how their club has been short-changed in the expansion process, let me know. If the AFLW has taught me one thing so far, it's that it's somehow possible for league HQ to be even more confounding than they are for the mens, which is a sure sign that anything can happen if you just believe it hard enough.

Does anyone know how the father-daughter rule works? I've figured out all by my lonesome that there's a bidding process, but I haven't been able to decipher if it's just next available pick or whether there's some points shenanigans like in the mens. AFAICT, this year's F/Ds are Millie Brown, daughter of Paul, to Geelong and Isabella Grant, daughter of Chris, to the Bulldogs. Next year's F/Ds are Alice Burke, daughter of Nathan, to St Kilda and Tarni Brown, daughter of Gavin, to Collingwood. It's hard to tell if there are more though, because apparently the threshold isn't 100 games, it's one, for reasons not immediately apparent to me. I guess it would be tough for fans of St Kilda to watch the daughters of Justin Sweeney, if he ever has any, in another jumper.

If teams can match with next available pick, then bid placement would be huge for the Dogs, especially if they end up with 1, 6 and 8. A bid after their last first rounder would effectively be a free first rounder relative to a team making a bid in between their early picks. It also feels like it's relatively low risk for, say, St Kilda, to place a bid on Grant at pick 5 and force the Dogs to use an earlier pick than they'd like on her, potentially dropping a top prospect through to their next pick at pick 9. I fear that, perhaps, for the first time in their existence, the AFL may not have completely thought this one through. Can anyone alleviate my concerns?

Also, I am under the impression that the number next to Brisbane's picks matters little except where it relates to Gold Coast's picks. For the Lions purposes, unless the top Queensland girls somehow decide they're happy to play anywhere, they might as well have picks 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6. The same is probably true for the WA teams, but I'm too old and sleepy to care about that time zone. In a similar manner, I believe Geelong might as well tell everyone which Falcons girls they want to take where in advance of the draft, because we're all powerless to stop them. Lucy McEvoy might be a pick 1 contender in an open draft, but as long as she files the paperwork correctly, Geelong can take her with their last pick. The Falcons percentage is 471.43% right now. I'm not worried about that yet, but I'm worried that I might become worried, which worries me.

If anyone knows anything, or would like to tell me about how their club has been short-changed in the expansion process, let me know. If the AFLW has taught me one thing so far, it's that it's somehow possible for league HQ to be even more confounding than they are for the mens, which is a sure sign that anything can happen if you just believe it hard enough.
Pretty sure it's just the previous incarnation of the father-son rule, last year Collingwood had the highest bid for Abbie McKay (would've had to have been either pick 11 or 13, no way they'd have used pick 5) and Carlton then drafted her with their next selection (#16).

If clubs want to act against their own best interests in favour of sentimentality then have at it, I say. But my guess is if St Kilda bid for Grant at 5 and the Bulldogs take her at 6, it'll be because both clubs think she's worth it.

Regarding Geelong, all it would have taken is Morrison nominating for the Melbourne zone to see the undesirable side effects of what at first seemed like an advantageous situation. There will be good players from the area that they'll miss out on (already have), hopefully it doesn't happen with McEvoy because they need her.

I've argued elsewhere that in the world of AFLW drafting perhaps the actual state/region nominations are a bigger deal than where the girls are drafted.

Once we knew Maddie Prespakis was only nominating the Vic Metro region last year, it was clear Carlton had nabbed an arguable =#1 selection with the #3 pick.
Geelong were indeed able to secure local guns like Nina Morrison and Olivia Purcell; McEvoy may very well a much-needed addition to the list next year - but they were also locked out of picking Victorians like Prespakis or Tyla Hanks.

Once it became clear as to which region/s each player had nominated pre-draft, the 2018 draft almost became a moot point.
The nominations themselves were the areas of key interest and drama.

AFLW Draft Insight - A collaboration between WARFRadio.com and DraftCentral.com.au

This is episode one of our three part series (recorded September 19th), looking at the trades and signings to that point, plus potential draftees from the Top 7 VFLW clubs.

In another unexpected turn of events, Courtney Gum nominates for the SA draft. Wasn't surprised by her retirement this year, she looked cooked to me, a sudden fall from her stellar 2018. Perhaps bogged down by some niggling injuries in '19, but that's likely to happen in your late-30s.

At first, seems like an unnecessary risk for the Crows, given the doubt clouding much of their list. Though I suppose if they're thinking about finding some short-term relief in the leadership/ball-winning stakes, in the event of Phillips not being Round 1 Ready, it makes sense in theory.

As with Radan and Holmes, these older players wouldn't bother nominating for the draft unless they're definitely going to be picked up... right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back