• A - really great

• B - pretty good

• C - okay

• D - could have been better

• E - could have been a lot better

• F - terrible!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Robertson gets it out of the contest and into the 50 pretty well and seems to move it almost exclusively forward (IMO mrouch gets stuck in the contest a bit, and goes backwards and sideways too much)

I think Robertson’s poor kicking % might be because of getting an impossible (albeit hacked) kick out of the contest pretty regularly.

We should be trading up to get him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its termed a "dump kick", blind kick forwards out of a contest just simply to get it forward. Thommo a great exponent, Danger not too bad, Brad loved it this year and Gibbs is quite good too. Works amazingly well if you've got Wayne Carey, Jono Brown, Tony Modra, Kurt Tippett sitting in your forward 50 who can crash a pack or fly over it.

The dump kick was effectively Sando's gameplan in a nutshell.

The trouble is modern day defenses are extremely good at reading such a kick and then rebounding off halfback, that they've become more harmful than beneficial. 6-6-6 had the potential to improve but even then it only helps for center square, clubs quickly set up the extra in defense once out of this.

These days your midfield needs to be more calculating, move the ball around with handball quickly to a player in space who can hit a leading forward, something Campo was never able to introduce into our midfield.

Is it any surprise the 2 big exponents of such a kick have slid in Flanders and Robertson?

You've got to be far more measured, systematic and precise moving the ball out of a stoppage. Days gone past these guys go a lot harder because you wanted the have biggest, baddest, meanest, most couragous contested ball winners in your midfield and lots of them. Now you want 1-2 at a time, but then with 2-3 other guys who are more polished, clean, creative and deliberate with their disposal, still need to be able to win their own ball if needed, but can be smarter about it.

I’m not one to blatantly call someone out for lying about having info, not having the sense to realise they have bad sources (i.e. ‘the guys at Norwood’) on the other hand...
Umm did you hear about the Francis, Orrazio and Burton sighting when Orrazio was in Melbourne?

I think we messed up and were convinced Stephens was going to be there for our pick.

Obviously we will never admit that and will claim we got our man. Our reaction told the story. Mind you we were not alone in thinking that Stephens wouldn't go that high.

I would of used pick 6 on a elite midfielder.

You get the feeling McAsey won't stick around.

we traded 4 to 6 because we thought Swans would take Flanders @ 5, so we would take Stephens @6.
come on, you know very well Stephens was Hamish's boy.
I know you’re a confirmed bullshit artist, what has happened to you?

Not every year do you get to be drafted either? Seems like an odd thing to do, is his commitment usually an issue?
I wouldn't think so listening to the glowing terms his coaches and headmaster talk about young Gould. He is only 18 after all so on the scale of ******* up this is pretty banal?

I wouldn't think so listening to the glowing terms his coaches and headmaster talk about young Gould. He is only 18 after all so on the scale of ******* up this is pretty banal?
Not sure, dont follow it closely, just seems like an odd thing to do, plenty of kids skip schoolies (which is also a once in a lifetime opportunity) what has he missed out on in pay, not being a first round pick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we messed up and were convinced Stephens was going to be there for our pick.

Obviously we will never admit that and will claim we got our man. Our reaction told the story. Mind you we were not alone in thinking that Stephens wouldn't go that high.

If we were that keen on Stephens, we wouldn't have traded 4 to 6. Quite simply you could throw a blanket over 3-11. Maybe we rated Stephens higher than McAsey on our list, but it would have been negligible in comparison to bringing in an extra 1st rounder.

I have absolutely no problem with our decision.

Yeah right, the player that Hamish was hard on, that was his main target, he was prepared to risk losing to Sydney. Or was the hard on only a semi?

There’s only one player he knew Sydney were guaranteed not to pick and it was McAsey, you know the player we picked.

The Crows were peeved as they thought they could trade back to 9 and get McAsey but that went out the door when Sydney went Stephens.

Just fess up mate, you’re full of it.

How official is that. I just can't see who Carlton would have been so keen on that they'd have traded up to 6, also what were the going to pay us to do this? a 1st next year? Unlikely, a second perhaps, but would we even rist that?

My suspicion would be that we had our 2020 1st on the table, the hope being that we grab Stephens at 6 and McAsey at 9, knowing that Freo don't go for McAsey but may have gone for Stephens. Alas not to be.

Not sure, dont follow it closely, just seems like an odd thing to do, plenty of kids skip schoolies (which is also a once in a lifetime opportunity) what has he missed out on in pay, not being a first round pick?
Will really hasn't been spoken of as a 1st round pick too much at all recently and the one call the media pundits got right was that he was one that was likely to be a slider from a fair way out.

I also like Schoenberg if Robertson is gone.

Think we have to take Gould if he is there. Just a natural footballer and a bruising player. Couldn't be bad to have him and Fog at either end. Port will likely take him though imo.

I'm also slightly bias towards SA boys but who can blame me.

Oh please, the entire nation knew we were taking McAsey.

The last 24 hours of Stephens rumps was to try and get Carlton to the trade table.

We were ALWAYS taking McAsey.

You've just been proven wrong, again.
FAITH called Edwards and Stephens as early picks back when the general consensus was they would both be well outside the top 5.

Kristof said he would delete his account if Pickett went top 20, and then Pickett went at 12

And yet instead of deleting his account as promised, Kristof decides to get stuck into FAITH

Kristof, your credibility is significantly lower than FAITH’s. Lol

Glass half full kinda guy. I'd hate to be at your place on Christmas morning

If we were that keen on Stephens, we wouldn't have traded 4 to 6. Quite simply you could throw a blanket over 3-11. Maybe we rated Stephens higher than McAsey on our list, but it would have been negligible in comparison to bringing in an extra 1st rounder.

I have absolutely no problem with our decision.

How official is that. I just can't see who Carlton would have been so keen on that they'd have traded up to 6, also what were the going to pay us to do this? a 1st next year? Unlikely, a second perhaps, but would we even rist that?

My suspicion would be that we had our 2020 1st on the table, the hope being that we grab Stephens at 6 and McAsey at 9, knowing that Freo don't go for McAsey but may have gone for Stephens. Alas not to be.
That was the speculation today.

We left calling out McAseys name until the last couple of seconds, we were definitely trying to do a deal

Schoolies is just dangerous, even sober, especially as a well known potential draftee. 10,000 drug/drugged up teenagers all in the one spot?

As long as he wasn't out at hindly till 3am getting in fights, on the pills etc, I don't mind him having a few drinks, pizzas etc and letting himself go for a few weeks. Maybe he prefer he doesn't, but given where our picks sit, I'm happy for him to do that, as I reckon it has negligible bearing on him as a footballer in 3 years time.

If I'm borderline being drafter, then perhaps I'm a little more cautious as I probably need to do everything right to ensure I get drafted. But I'm probably not winning SANFL league premiership either. I'm lucky to playing a few ressies games. Reality of the matter is, Gould has enough exposed form that suggests he can play, he's done the hard work.

He's a young lad, much of that weight will fall off him once he hits club land. There also seems to be a belief that these guys at 18 have reached peak maturity. They're a long way off of it, there's still a good 4-5 years of reaching true maturity, yet we want to crucify them if they're not perfect choir boys.

Back