Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with Robertson still on the board do we try and trade up to 22? Surely he doesn’t slide 2 more spots

Cant believe he’s still there.
I hope we do. It's not only his football talent you're getting but if you believe the press his leadership qualities around the young blokes would also be beneficial.
I would be really disappointed if we don't at least ask the question of Port.
He is a really good player and well worth spending an extra pick on to acquire.
What is the use of wheeling and dealing picks if you don't pull the trigger on occasions and take the chance.
A player like him improves our midfield immeasurably.

Missing out on Stephens, got a bad feeling its gonna bite us.
We wouldn't have done the pick swap with GWS if we rated Stephens ahead of McAsey. We didn't miss out on Stephens, because he was always behind McAsey on our order of merit list.

One of our picks seem to go rogue each year.

Who would of thought when we traded our 1st last year It would affect SOS so much.

Bidding on 2 academy kids then trading out to take Philp at 20 makes Hamish look like an angel.

I think when Stephens was off the board it rattled Carlton and SOS didn't have plan B. Just thought If I bid a few times it buys me time to make some calls.

Don't know why they didn't pick Flanders to be honest. Then got lucky with Kemp and picked Philp

Never rated SOS.

I think if we look ahead, we should be able to narrow down the choices a bit.

We have said that we don't feel like we need more inside mids. Likewise we don't want a developing ruckman.

So we might be able to count out Robertson and Comben.

We have also just drafted a KPD and traded in Frampton, so I can't see us going for Worrell.
In the last few drafts we have also picked up guys like Gallucci & McHenry so a small mid (Bianco) is probably unlikely. We also picked up Jones who is a tough mid.

Next year we have Edwards (which means we probably don't need Schoenberg), Borlase (so do we really need Gould??) and then hopefully Newchurch.

The options around our picks then;

Jeremy Sharp 187 cm outside mid. Quick and skilled.
Hugo Ralph-Smith 186 cm mid/forward. Athletic midsize goal kicker.
Jay Rantall. 184 cm midfielder. Only recently switched back to footy from basketball. Could have development left.
Mitch O'Neill. 181 cm mid. Tasmanian.

I'd say we go for 2 out of those three. I'd hope for Sharp and Rantall.

Given Haggis loves a Tasmanian and a Basketball convert, he will probably go Rantall and O'Neill. Or one of them and a guy everyone else had ranked at pick 50 that Ogilvie know will be a gem.

I think when Stephens was off the board it rattled Carlton and SOS didn't have plan B. Just thought If I bid a few times it buys me time to make some calls.

Don't know why they didn't pick Flanders to be honest. Then got lucky with Kemp and picked Philp

Never rated SOS.
The Carlton fans still think he's god, it's hilarious.

Ralphsmith I like, we need our next gen of mids to be goal kickers. Jones looks it, so does Neddy but we need more.

The point remains - WA were REALLY impressive at the Champs. Giorgiades looks like a decent medium forward or third tall, but he didn't even play in their Championship winning team. Even if it proves to be smart, it's a really surprising pick. There are players who are a lot more proven who haven't been taken.
Really surprising to you anyhow.

Surprise to the media boffins who obviously have short memories.

No surprise to pro recruiters obviously and there's only one simple reason Port picked him where they did.......they knew there was plenty of interest at other clubs.

If he was fit Georgiades would have been one of the first picked for WA at this year's Championships without any doubt whatsoever.

You've obviously not seen him play....he has speed, a sensational leap and sticky hands, plays very much like that bloke we lost last year.

Really surprising to you anyhow.

Surprise to the media boffins who obviously have short memories.

No surprise to pro recruiters obviously and there's only one simple reason Port picked him where they did.......they knew there was plenty of interest at other clubs.

If he was fit Georgiades would have been one of the first picked for WA at this year's Championships without any doubt whatsoever.

You've obviously not seen him play....he has speed, a sensational leap and sticky hands, plays very much like that bloke we lost last year.
He likes KFC ??

Hoping Gould is there at 24.. Robertson and Gould would be ideal if it fell that way. Ralphsmith/Sharp/Schoenberg.... 37 Brock Smith/Schute/Tahney. with 45 id like to take Bryan

Deven Robertson
Will Gould
Trent Bianco
Harry Schoenberg
Jeremy Sharp
Hugo Ralphsmith
Josh Worrel
Brock Smith
Nick Bryan
Cam Tahney
Josh Schute.

I think if we look ahead, we should be able to narrow down the choices a bit.

We have said that we don't feel like we need more inside mids. Likewise we don't want a developing ruckman.

So we might be able to count out Robertson and Comben.

We have also just drafted a KPD and traded in Frampton, so I can't see us going for Worrell.
In the last few drafts we have also picked up guys like Gallucci & McHenry so a small mid (Bianco) is probably unlikely. We also picked up Jones who is a tough mid.

Next year we have Edwards (which means we probably don't need Schoenberg), Borlase (so do we really need Gould??) and then hopefully Newchurch.

The options around our picks then;

Jeremy Sharp 187 cm outside mid. Quick and skilled.
Hugo Ralph-Smith 186 cm mid/forward. Athletic midsize goal kicker.
Jay Rantall. 184 cm midfielder. Only recently switched back to footy from basketball. Could have development left.
Mitch O'Neill. 181 cm mid. Tasmanian.

I'd say we go for 2 out of those three. I'd hope for Sharp and Rantall.

Given Haggis loves a Tasmanian and a Basketball convert, he will probably go Rantall and O'Neill. Or one of them and a guy everyone else had ranked at pick 50 that Ogilvie know will be a gem.

Ralphsmith to go with McAsey two dragons boys together

For a team that was so intent on Stephens we sure did show more than a passing interest in Fischer.....ALL YEAR it seems..
To be fair, we probably showed a lot of interest in many players - including Dylan Stephens. That said, it's fairly obvious that the club rated McAsey ahead of Stephens, otherwise they wouldn't have done the GWS trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoping Gould is there at 24.. Robertson and Gould would be ideal if it fell that way. Ralphsmith/Sharp/Schoenberg.... 37 Brock Smith/Schute/Tahney. with 45 id like to take Bryan

Deven Robertson
Will Gould
Trent Bianco
Harry Schoenberg
Jeremy Sharp
Hugo Ralphsmith
Josh Worrel
Brock Smith
Nick Bryan
Cam Tahney
Josh Schute.

Dylan Williams still available too.

Why the hell did SOS do that pick swap? They could be in prime position tonight.
I got smashed on social media for suggesting he did the wrong thing.

Carlton are better off for him going, whether they want to admit it.or not.

If word that Carlton were keen to trade up were true, perhaps we'd agreed on a 6 + ? --> 9 + Carlton 2020 1st deal and were simply pissed that it didn't happen. If that works, we've turned 4 into 9 and effectively picked up 2 extra 1st rounders for next year, it didn't, you move on.
Adelaide figured that Carlton wanted Stephens, and Fremantle (who had picks #7 and #8) weren't interested in McAsey, and Freo were also not interested in trading down (allowing another club to gazump us). Thus, we would still be able to get McAsey at #9, and may be able to gain something else into the bargain.

The deal fell through for 2 fundamental reasons:
  • Carlton were only interested in trading up for Dylan Stephens, and had no interest in trading up once Sydney took him off the table at pick #5.
  • Carlton were not keen on giving up their 2020 1st round pick, as GWS had done. This was a moot point once Stephens was no longer available.

Hoping Port take Worrall.

That would make 3 x Sandy Dragons lobbing in Adelaide.
There's a pretty nice Sandy Dragon we could partner up with McAsey with our pick 37 or maybe even 45, 191cm big arsed inside mid Darcy Chirgwin who despite missing the 1st half of the NAB League season had a stellar end to the season really racking up the numbers. An absolute clearance, tackling machine who despite missing so much footy and training Vic Metro rushed back for the last Championship game only to re-injure himself early and take no further part, just needs to work on his outside game and he could be a great get. There's also another prolific ball winning Sandy Dragons mid Ryan Byrnes still on the table that's worthy of consideration and rated quite high by some. It's a strategy the Lions are using with success drafting Vic Country lads mostly from south west Victoria.

I got smashed on social media for suggesting he did the wrong thing.

Carlton are better off for him going, whether they want to admit it.or not.
Philps would not have gone, they could still pick him or get a deal worth passing him up. Its a no brainer.

Adelaide figured that Carlton wanted Stephens, and Fremantle (who had picks #7 and #8) weren't interested in McAsey, and Freo were also not interested in trading down (allowing another club to gazump us). Thus, we would still be able to get McAsey at #9, and may be able to gain something else into the bargain.

The deal fell through for 2 fundamental reasons:
  • Carlton were only interested in trading up for Dylan Stephens, and had no interest in trading up once Sydney took him off the table at pick #5.
  • Carlton were not keen on giving up their 2020 1st round pick, as GWS had done. This was a moot point once Stephens was no longer available.
On to point 2, Carlton have said they were still trying to do a deal but wouldnt part with their first. This is supported by the fact we almost timed out.

On to point 2, Carlton have said they were still trying to do a deal but wouldnt part with their first. This is supported by the fact we almost timed out.
Conspiracy theorist me suggests that the AFL basically told us to wait as the interviews were still being conducted, but yours is highly plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back