List Mgmt. 2019 FA Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

A few names to seriously consider, but I'll throw a controversial one out there - Mitch Robinson.

Think we could do a lot worse than bring Robbo back for a couple of years whilst the kids develop.

Has done well up in Brisbane as someone who can hit the scoreboard but also rotate through the midfield.

We all know he is mad but one thing you will always get from him is 100% and he will protect the kids.

Will be interesting to see how he goes this year, whether he's entrenched in their best side or whether he starts getting phased out.

A few names to seriously consider, but I'll throw a controversial one out there - Mitch Robinson.

Think we could do a lot worse than bring Robbo back for a couple of years whilst the kids develop.

Has done well up in Brisbane as someone who can hit the scoreboard but also rotate through the midfield.

We all know he is mad but one thing you will always get from him is 100% and he will protect the kids.

Will be interesting to see how he goes this year, whether he's entrenched in their best side or whether he starts getting phased out.

Most of the kids are fairly developed now and shouldn't need help from a brick like Robbo. And given his history with the club, I don't think we'd be wanting to bring that kind of element into the club.

Tommy Bell on the other hand...I'd invite him to play for the NB's with the caveat that strong performances could well earn him another crack on the senior list. He wouldn't be starting 22, but would be a handy depth player.

Will be interesting to see how his football-gaming balance goes this year

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/br...r/news-story/f937a7a6c0a6d2ae543aec078e06ae1e

Will be interesting to see how his football-gaming balance goes this year

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/br...r/news-story/f937a7a6c0a6d2ae543aec078e06ae1e
Had a quick look at the footage, he's actually pretty good. Professional eSports players tend to be much younger and wind up burnt out by 23-25, but I suspect a big part of that has to do with treating their bodies like s**t while their nervous system works in overdrive to read and react to the fast pace, usually for 4-6 hours a day, plus another 6 hours screen time.

That's just a recipe for chronic health problems IMO, and you're seeing higher-level players incorporating fitness programmes and better diets into their schedule/lifestyle to counteract this.

It'll be interesting to see how his skill level waxes and wanes through the season, as well as how much traffic he gets on his stream.

Looking at this (while knowing there will be some errors in there): https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_of_contract_players?year=2019

2019 Free Agents:

ADE: Otten*, McKay*, Douglas*, Ellis-Yolmen, Jacobs
BRI: Lester
COL: Reid*, Goldsack*, Elliott
ESS: Myers*, Baguley
FRE: Sandilands*, Mundy*, Ballantyne*, S Hill
GEE: Taylor*, Bews
GWS: Tomlinson, Buntine, Haynes, Coniglio
HAW: Birchall*, Roughead*, Schoenmakers*, Burgoyne*, Stratton, Shiels, Puopolo
MEL: Jones*
NTH: Wright*, Thompson*, Goldstein*, Daw
PTA: Westhoff*, Gray*, Boak*, Broadbent, Jonas
RIC: Edwards*, Houli, Ellis, Astbury, Grigg, Coleman-Jones
STK: Armitage*, Geary*, Newnes
SYD: Grundy*, McVeigh*, Jack*, Smith*, Cuningham
WBD: Morris*, Picken*, Roberts, Liberatore, Dickson
WCE: Masten*, Hurn*, Schofield*, Sheppard, McInnes, Kennedy, Naitanui

* Unrestricted free agent

I put them all down but bolded the ones worth a look. Would add that Shiels & Jonas both interesting but can't see them leaving their respective clubs. Then there's Libba, not sure...

As for OOC players that could be worth a look, obviously depending on interest in coming to us & the trade/contract cost:

ADE: Greenwood, Knight, Murphy
BRI: Cutler, Keays, Robertson
COL: Sier, Adams, Phillips
ESS: Parish
FRE: Blakely, Langdon, Jones, Giro
GEE: Jones, Cunico
GCS: Crossley, Martin, Miller
GWS: Daniels, Lloyd, Himmelberg, Hopper, Kelly
HAW: Hardwick, Worpel, Miles
MEL: Neal-Bulleen
NTH: Durdin?...
PTA: Bonner, S Gray
RIC: Butler, Rioli, Townsend, Castagna, Naish, Vlastuin, McIntosh, Bolton
STK: Billings, Sinclair, Dunstan, Gresham
SYD: O'Riordan, Cameron, Rose, Jones
WCE: Sheed, Brayshaw
WBD: Dale, Williams, Dunkley, Hunter, Webb

I haven't put a huge amount of though into that and some of those have probably re-signed or been de-listed since FW last updated their list.

Some are also most likely 100% unattainable and others we probably don't need or even want. None the less, there's some players that could be of interest depending on trade value and contract requirements.

You really need to delve into the year before FA/OOC players as well, as that’s where a lot of the movement seems to be coming from.

Hopefully whoever we target, we are & they are fair dinkum about getting across the line ala McGovern & Setterfield.

If we can get a free hit/s for a FA then it’s the GWS lads in Coniglio (unrealistic to us or staying loyal) & Haynes.

Not interested in the price for a Kelly trade in picks but more so the $. Taranto would be a better target. Cutler & Sier less heralded but solid players.

Jack Martin’s name was linked with us & Billings TBC on STK’s season.

We’ll certainly want to show better form on the park this season (gamestyle) as an inducement for positive decisions for any big signings to be made our way vs other potential clubs (there should be a fair bit of coin out there from others e.g. Hawks).

I would 2nd this

Reckon he has burnt too many bridges at the footy club to ever return.

As much as i dislike Malthouse and his tenure at the club, reckon he was spot on about Mitch Robinson and his character (who has openly paid out on the club on a couple of occasions)

He is a prat, and we don't need blokes like at him at our footy club anymore.

Had a quick look at the footage, he's actually pretty good. Professional eSports players tend to be much younger and wind up burnt out by 23-25, but I suspect a big part of that has to do with treating their bodies like s**t while their nervous system works in overdrive to read and react to the fast pace, usually for 4-6 hours a day, plus another 6 hours screen time.

That's just a recipe for chronic health problems IMO, and you're seeing higher-level players incorporating fitness programmes and better diets into their schedule/lifestyle to counteract this.

It'll be interesting to see how his skill level waxes and wanes through the season, as well as how much traffic he gets on his stream.

Someone throws out Mitch Robinson as a left field trade target. That leads to a cheeky reference to his e-gaming pursuits.

Jimmae responds with analysis of fitness and health implications of playing computer games professionally.

Jim, never change. :thumbsu:

You're awesome. Or you have a serious problem..............I suspect both. :D

Reckon Robinson has burnt too many bridges at the footy club to ever return.

As much as i dislike Malthouse and his tenure at the club, reckon he was spot on about Mitch Robinson and his character (who has openly paid out on the club on a couple of occasions)

He is a prat, and we don't need blokes like at him at our footy club anymore.

I think Robbo was/is more rascal than prat.

I don't think he's the kind of guy to do something will malice or willfully play up.

He's just a little wild, immature and he's no Mensa candidate.

He'll probably always be somewhat of a scallywag. BUT there's a good chance he's grown up and matured since leaving Carlton. If so, I'd have no problem having him back from a character perspective.

I think Robbo was/is more rascal than prat. I don't think he's the kind of guy to do something will malice or willfully play up. He's just a little wild, immature and he's no Mensa candidate. He'll probably always be somewhat of a scallywag. BUT there's a good chance he's grown up and matured since leaving Carlton. If so, I'd have no problem having him back from a character perspective.
I think Robbo was/is more rascal than prat. I don't think he's the kind of guy to do something will malice or willfully play up. He's just a little wild, immature and he's no Mensa candidate. He'll probably always be somewhat of a scallywag. BUT there's a good chance he's grown up and matured since leaving Carlton. If so, I'd have no problem having him back from a character perspective.

He is a disrespectful ingrate who has sunk the boots into footy club publicly since joining Brisbane. Remember the time Jamo refused to shake hands with him after a game at the Gabba ? There was legit reasons for that, despite their brawl in the game.

We have gone to great lengths to put in a no d heads recruiting policy at our football club, and i can pretty almost guarantee you that Robbo will never be welcomed back at Carlton, esp as a player (least under the current board/regime)

Also he is an ordinary battler with poor fit skills, ain't we trying to stop recruiting those type of players on our list ?

I'd be very happy to give Jeffy Garlett another chance, but its a resounding and definitive NO to Robbo.

Whatever we do at seasons end, i don't want to be overpaying pick and $$$ wise. There are so many good players either FA or OOC that would be great additions to our team.

Caddy, Nank and Prestia transformed the Tigers and they overpaid for none.

That rules out Kelly for me and would much rather see us go after Bonner, Ellis, Gresham, R.Grey, Neale-Bullen, Bolton or Blakely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tomlinson could be useful for us on the wing.

Just comes down to how much it will cost to recruit him from GWS.

Have a feeling St Kilda and North will throw massive money at him (around $1mil per season). If that's the case, it's a pass for mine.

I'd look at him for anything under $700k (similar to the payment for Polec to North).

Coniglio will cost an arm and a leg to bring across to CFC. Will be interesting to see if he stays or goes. Reckon Hawthorn will be the front runners for his signature.

If we've got the money, which we should

Tomlinson and Coniglio as free agents

Give up what we have to to get Gresham via trade

List complete

Don’t get the Tomlinson hype at at all. He’s adequate in a number of positions, but not strong in any one position, and we’ve got his type covered anyway (who does his replace up forward or down back?). He’s been trialed as a midfielder, but lacks the production to make it full-time in that role, and I question whether he’d be ahead of Walsh, SPS and Fisher into the future.

Tomlinson is basically a very good role player, who will hold down a position but never get above clear best 22 status.

It’s a resounding yes for me for Coniglio, and a no brainer to target Kelly though.

Don’t get the Tomlinson hype at at all. He’s adequate in a number of positions, but not strong in any one position, and we’ve got his type covered anyway (who does his replace up forward or down back?). He’s been trialed as a midfielder, but lacks the production to make it full-time in that role, and I question whether he’d be ahead of Walsh, SPS and Fisher into the future.

Tomlinson is basically a very good role player, who will hold down a position but never get above clear best 22 status.

It’s a resounding yes for me for Coniglio, and a no brainer to target Kelly though.
This is how I see it. Just a simple role player who someone like Hawthorn will pay up for.

It might not be in the future, but until that changes, Tomlinson is best 22 in any side

It’s not that that’s not the case, it’s more he plays in an area we have covered, and the players he’d have to replace are Marchbank or McGovern.

He’s already at his peak, and he’s never got beyond a B/B+ player. He’s also not particular astute defensively, and gets exposed under pressure.

Coniglio should be priority number one IMO. Would compliment our midfield beautifully and add that A-grade inside/outside mid we were trying to procure with Shiel. I actually rate him higher.

Fitting Tomlinson in is, theoretically, tricky.

My guess? He'd displace Ed Curnow.

Sharpen the pitchforks folks.

I love Ed. He's a ripper. But if I had to pick someone to cut for Tomlinson, it'd be the gut running midfielder with limited disposal and hurt factor. Tomlinson does the same role between the arcs, sacrifices a little bit of the defensive shutdown for added height, with the flexibility to drop back in the hole or drift forward for a snag.

Plowman, Jones, Marchbank
Docherty, Weitering, O'Brien
Tomlinson, Setterfield, Walsh
Kreuzer, Cripps, Dow
Fisher, Curnow, Murphy
????, McKay, McGovern
SPS, Williamson, ????, ????

Those three gaps are filled by:
- whichever small forward steps up (could Gibbons become a Robbie Gray type?)
- some genuine outside speed (Pickett vs. Garlett?)
- whichever midfielder out of Curnow, Kennedy, Stocker and Cuningham offers the best balance. If all perform, I like Cuningham > Stocker > Kennedy > Curnow as far as what attributes they bring to the table. It's probably reversed as far as consistent output is concerned though...

Definitely think there are more necessary types than Tomlinson for us to chase though.

Plowman, Jones, Marchbank
Docherty, Weitering, Williamson
Walsh, Setterfield, O'Brien
Kreuzer, Cripps, Dow
Fisher, Curnow, Murphy
Gresham, McKay, McGovern
SPS, Cutler, Curnow, Pickett

Macreadie in the bank to replace Jones.
Stocker developing to replace Murphy.
TDK a couple of years away from full time ruckwork.
A handful of guys trying to push Curnow out.

The rest of the team is bedded down for 5+ years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back