List Mgmt. 2019 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Some of the comments attributing Cogs re-signing because of what Gill said are laughable.

Lets think about it logically... according to some fans Cogs turns down huge money (possibly as much as $300k a year) to stay in Sydney on a 7 year contract. It is ridiculous to insinuate that Gill has somewhat totalitarian and dictatorial powers to tell a player how much money to accept and where to live their life.

The suggestion that this has somewhat changed a decision is pitiful and supremely salty...

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Just an aside check out Whitfields interview towards the end.

That doesn't look or sound like someone who is already planning on walking.

Lachie is very happy in Sydney, he likes the anonymity it brings, has a beautiful partner and great mates.

He is such a super player that he will be offered the world, but I do feel he is invested and knowing blokes the calibre of Cogs, Kelly, Greene, Taranto, Haynes, Himmelberg, Williams etc are all signed up should make it more compelling for him to stay.

If we can stay competitive and be in the ballpark contract wise I suspect he will stick around.

He’s a loyal bloke and honestly would hate the scrutiny of Melbourne with a passion.

It’s a dead set fish bowl down here, cameras and paparazzi everywhere watching these guys every move.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Lachie is very happy in Sydney, he likes the anonymity it brings, has a beautiful partner and great mates.

He is such a super player that he will be offered the world, but I do feel he is invested and knowing blokes the calibre of Cogs, Kelly, Greene, Taranto, Haynes, Himmelberg, Williams etc are all signed up should make it more compelling for him to stay.

If we can stay competitive and be in the ballpark contract wise I suspect he will stick around.

He’s a loyal bloke and honestly would hate the scrutiny of Melbourne with a passion.

It’s a dead set fish bowl down here, cameras and paparazzi everywhere watching these guys every move.
Gee I hope he would sign already !!!!

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
Hey folks

After the re-signing of Coniglio yesterday thought I'd add my thoughts on the current GWS O.O.C. players.

Over the past 12 months I've become more and more interested in the list analysis side of the game, list balances etc. thanks largely to the lads from Lystics AFL in particular around the contract time when calls are made to re-sign, trade or de-list.

If you are at all interested or intrigued by list management I suggest you give these guys a listen. I listen via Apple Podcast app but I'm sure it could be found on other devices also.

As always I'm very appreciative and open to feedback, whether positive or critical and love to engage in conversation about it. Hope you enjoy

For the Giants I've still got a number of guys O.O.C according to Footywire and the recent article on afl.com. Here's my thoughts:

RE-SIGN: Jack Buckley, Sproule, Stein, Buntine and Shaw (ROLLING DEALS)

I don't see any longer term contract offers except for maybe the restricted free agent Tomlinson.

I'm not fully up to date with the NEAFL form of J. Buckley (FIFA winner), Sproule and Stein but I know in the case of Sproule and Stein that the debuted in the AFL during 2019.

Buntine and Shaw if they continue in 2020 to continue with rolling contracts.

FREE AGENT / TRADE: Tomlinson (RFA)

Tomlinson - Up to him as a long term player and someone who has knocked back the lure of home a few times if i remember correct.

Think he is worthy of a new longer term deal but if he wishes to return to Victoria he can.

DE-LIST: Dylan Buckley and Sheridan

No surprises here. Sheridan is someone worthy of a rookie list spot for depth, experience and a strong 2nd's culture but nothing more.

RETIRE: Mumford

Already has the announcement of Deledio and Simpson prior to Round 23 however no word on Mumford yet. Does depend a whole lot of whether they can get in the market for a senior ruckman given that Flynn (ACL) and Briggs are still fairly raw also.

GWS should be well into the likes of Goldstein and Ryder accordingly with the possibility of finals/ a premiership a strong incentive

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
We're going to lose the General, there's a feeling that Aiden Bonar has had two years to show what he's good at but this year (to date) has underwhelmed, Tommo's had years to stamp his on-field personality (off-field he's class) but no-one really knows what you'll get from him (plus Jacko Hately is Tommo 2.0). We may lose someone unexpected through cap-squeeze.

Does all of the above add up to a ruckman in his prime, and not has-beens/ over-the-hillers like Jacobs, Goldstein, Ryder?

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
We're going to lose the General, there's a feeling that Aiden Bonar has had two years to show what he's good at but this year (to date) has underwhelmed, Tommo's had years to stamp his on-field personality (off-field he's class) but no-one really knows what you'll get from him (plus Jacko Hately is Tommo 2.0). We may lose someone unexpected through cap-squeeze.

Does all of the above add up to a ruckman in his prime, and not has-beens/ over-the-hillers like Jacobs, Goldstein, Ryder?
Suggestions?

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Peter Wright is gettable. Either McEvoy or Ceglar if we're trading with Hawks.

Look thru SANFL, WAFL for an established player. Wasn't Rowan Marshall picked up in rookie draft?

Get mason Cox out of Collingwood.

Kruezer, the bloke from the Swans with the funny haircut.... in short, I don't know.

Last edited:

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
One poster on another board suggested Laird might want out at Adelaide now given they are heading into full rebuild. He seemed to here this on SEN.

Would this not be a bad pick up for GWS to bolster defence and strength other areas releasing the likes of Williams??
That would end Heath Shaw's career... assuming Laird can kick more accurately down the line.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
So we need a ruckman in his prime that's disgruntled enough to want to come to us, and pay top dollar for doing so.

That list is so short it might well be empty.
Reilly O'Brien was the one I would have wanted to target prior to him re-signing till 2021 this year. Showed glimpses as Adelaides number 1 ruck - has the strength and mobility and only scratching the surface of what hes capable of at 23 years old. However given contracts mean so little these days, would want to at the very least enquire.

Not so many top ruckmen we can pry away at the moment though. Goldstein the closest but he would cost too much for a 31 year old in my opinion.

Perhaps Soldo?

Edit: Didnt think about McEvoy (30 years old), but he would be good if the hawks are willing to part and if not too expensive trade/money wise.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I’m there aren’t many options but I reckon we need two rucks. I know Simpson is already retiring but I don’t think we can afford Mumford’s free kick differential going forward

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
That would end Heath Shaw's career... assuming Laird can kick more accurately down the line.

Heath could shift to half back temporarily. Shaw used to be a bit more adaptable. I think they could play together initially. Laird could go half back, Shaw in the pocket. Have Perryman, Kennedy and others as well to sure up the defense. With Laird their would be a bit more precision and composure might settle the group a little, Get a bit more continuity and cohesion foster a bit more confidence in the teamwork of the defense.

Laird would be more of a settler where the likes of Whitfield, Wliiams provide the run up the ground one would imagine

Last edited:

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS

Seems like adelaide and sydney keen to make a bid on Green early. What would it take to get the Melbourne pick? 11 + 13 + future 1st for 2 + future 2nd? Or pending whether we lose Tommo to FA, could use the compo from that as part of the deal instead of a future pick.

Imagine if GCS dont get a priority pick and we get a stab at Noah Anderson with the Melbourne pick. The melts from Vic would be real.

VanDemonxx

Club Legend
Jul 24, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

Seems like adelaide and sydney keen to make a bid on Green early. What would it take to get the Melbourne pick? 11 + 13 + future 1st for 2 + future 2nd? Or pending whether we lose Tommo to FA, could use the compo from that as part of the deal instead of a future pick.

Imagine if GCS dont get a priority pick and we get a stab at Noah Anderson with the Melbourne pick. The melts from Vic would be real.
The priority pick ruling will happen before trade period so by the we'll know.
I don't think that package is good enough to satisfy. If GWS could get one of those picks into the top 10 (6-8) then that would get it done. (say 7+13 for 2 and 38). Either that or GWS would need to include a player. We'd love one of your small forwards, eg pick 2 and 38 for 11, 13 and Zac Langdon/Brett Daniels

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Why would GWS necessarily want 2 before Green gets picked??

Are they particularly looking for a player before Green or a trade beforehand? I do not understand it really.

GWS could trade back could they not and use point to get Green.

Not sure they logic why they would want a pick before Green. I can see why other clubs might want a pick 2 but not GWS especially given they are so strong in the midfield area and the top two are mids

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Personally I think Gold Coast will get the early priority pick, so push all other picks back. And yes, I can imagine that either Melbourne or Adelaide would like to keep a pick inside 10 plus one 10-20 for an exchange of #3 or #4, but IMHO that costs us excessively to achieve - essentially we'd spend all our capital to get ahead of a bid on Green and then have nothing left to match Green. So, we have 3 options really - use a future pick or include a player into the mix (if we want an early pick), or don't trade and just pay for Green with our eventual picks (and have a likely residual second round pick).

So, if we want to get an early pick and elect to trade in a player, the question would be whether Bonar could be part of that equation for Melbourne. For Adelaide, what would satisfy? Possibly (OK I don't really want to say this) Jackson Hately? In which case you'd ask if the cost was worth it. Maybe, maybe not - depending on who we select.

FWIW, we don't need to trade with Melbourne IMHO - they'd be silly to target an inside mid: they have enough of those, and need a balanced or outside mid. If we traded with Adelaide (the motivation being to prevent them from bidding on Green), we also get ahead of Sydney. A little bit of blackmail from Adelaide's perspective, but I'm sure they'll do what they need to do to get ahead after two poor seasons.

The question is whether the outcome is worth the cost. Who would we target? I can't see Rowell or Anderson being there even at Melbourne's pick - and I'd argue that we don't need another midfielder. I'd be looking for a classy ball using midfielder or defender (with a view to replacing Heater). Hayden Young or Lachlan Ash have got speed and class and could play defence or wing; Will Gould is another who I think could play the Heater-type role but I wouldn't spend pick #3 or #4 on him.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Personally I think Gold Coast will get the early priority pick, so push all other picks back. And yes, I can imagine that either Melbourne or Adelaide would like to keep a pick inside 10 plus one 10-20 for an exchange of #3 or #4, but IMHO that costs us excessively to achieve - essentially we'd spend all our capital to get ahead of a bid on Green and then have nothing left to match Green. So, we have 3 options really - use a future pick or include a player into the mix (if we want an early pick), or don't trade and just pay for Green with our eventual picks (and have a likely residual second round pick).

So, if we want to get an early pick and elect to trade in a player, the question would be whether Bonar could be part of that equation for Melbourne. For Adelaide, what would satisfy? Possibly (OK I don't really want to say this) Jackson Hately? In which case you'd ask if the cost was worth it. Maybe, maybe not - depending on who we select.

FWIW, we don't need to trade with Melbourne IMHO - they'd be silly to target an inside mid: they have enough of those, and need a balanced or outside mid. If we traded with Adelaide (the motivation being to prevent them from bidding on Green), we also get ahead of Sydney. A little bit of blackmail from Adelaide's perspective, but I'm sure they'll do what they need to do to get ahead after two poor seasons.

The question is whether the outcome is worth the cost. Who would we target? I can't see Rowell or Anderson being there even at Melbourne's pick - and I'd argue that we don't need another midfielder. I'd be looking for a classy ball using midfielder or defender (with a view to replacing Heater). Hayden Young or Lachlan Ash have got speed and class and could play defence or wing; Will Gould is another who I think could play the Heater-type role but I wouldn't spend pick #3 or #4 on him.

I don't understand it either. I have my doubts other clubs will go early on Green as well. He is academy, ideally GWS would want him but I cannot see why they should over pay for him and they can use later picks.

I cannot see Hately necessarily going to Adelaide at this point either if they are going into full rebuild and either way the Crows are up against it for the long haul. To get pick 3 maybe but again who would GWS want or is it to trade with someone else. Hately is a pretty good player so why not let him develop especially since he would not want to go back to the crows probably now anyway.

If Adelaide want currency Laird might be something GWS want the other way but I can see GWS trading for certain players to refine their list prior to a better tilt not necessarilychase more and more picks and as an academy Green can be got using points anyway.

I guess Hately is so young he may go to the crows because he will be there by the time they rise again but it will be a while and times will be tough beforehand. I remember seeing Hately take a one hand mark Ablett style in the forward line. I really rate him, he has talent so GWS would be fools to give him away for little if it came to that and he has youth on his side regarding currency!! GWS surely would trade players and get picks to chase other players to top up their list as they see fit surely to round off before more serious tilt rather than perpetually getting more draft picks. There could theoretically be three and four way party trades involving picks and players depending on who want what. They only need points to get Green do they not. I guess it comes down to the players GWS want to top up their list and which clubs have those players to suit GWS and what they want to help GWS get what they want??

I could see RFC chasing a pick to get Anderson or even Kemp but they would have to give up suitable players/picks for that which they are happy to let go and the destination club wants. It probably would be very difficult for all parties to get what they want so each is satisfied they have the players they need to advance and progress further next year and into the future!

Last edited:

demon21

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2003
Tasmania
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
melbourne/Chargers
Why would GWS necessarily want 2 before Green gets picked??

Are they particularly looking for a player before Green or a trade beforehand? I do not understand it really.

GWS could trade back could they not and use point to get Green.

Not sure they logic why they would want a pick before Green. I can see why other clubs might want a pick 2 but not GWS especially given they are so strong in the midfield area and the top two are mids

Doesn't it make sense for GWS to trade for a better pick either Melb or some other team, That way can pick up a highly rated young player and use there later picks to match the green pick, So in a sense get to bring 2 players they rated in the top 10 in the draft.

If they keep the picks most likely a bid will come before there first pick so will need to match it.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Doesn't it make sense for GWS to trade for a better pick either Melb or some other team, That way can pick up a highly rated young player and use there later picks to match the green pick, So in a sense get to bring 2 players they rated in the top 10 in the draft.

If they keep the picks most likely a bid will come before there first pick so will need to match it.

I could see Richmond trying to chase a Anderson or a Kemp but not necessarily GWS. GWS have plenty of mids already. They want Green but they can use points to get him. If anything GWS should be chasing backs and forwards, rucks and other role players to refine their list so they enhance their premiership charge in 2020. Sure they can look to the future with Green and there are other draft options but GWS surely would be starting to twerk their recruitment for the now as in next year and short term while Cogs and the baulk of their stars are there for hopefully the next 7 years or so. This is where a Hately might decide to go if given the option as he might feel he has better opportunity elsewhere despite his ability. Its up to what GWS thinks and the players really on how they approach their progress going forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back