Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

It will only get worse. The clubs only got a taste for it last year and they LIKED. I’m big fan of NBA and their draft involves newly acquired draftees being traded and future future draft picks as well. An example is say Adelaide trade 4 with GWS to push back to 6 and acquire another 2020 2nd. Then select Stephens and then trade Stephens to Freo for Ash and 2020 2nd. Adelaide thereby securing two additional 2020 second round picks in doing all that.

It’s all rather simple at moment. If Henry bid comes after 10 Peter Bell kisses himself and spends the night and next day after the first round trying to get another second round pick selling a 2020 second pick.

If a bid comes at say 9 we have plans in place to execute a downgrade of 10 and an upgrade of 58/69. Geelong being a likely suitor (with 14/17/24/36) or Gold Coast (with 15/20). Depends which of those two clubs swap picks with Melbourne’s pick 8.
Players should be traded within the draft they are drafted.

People talk about the anxiety it might create.

We are only talking about a 24 hour period.

Some of the trades might only be 5-10 minutes to be executed.

Gives flexibility to get the players you really want.

Big rumour that Dee's want Jackson at 3, won't be there at 8.

The worst horror movie
Dee's begin with bid on Henry at 3 (gets rid of pick 7 - unless we can trade up when the bid is made) knowing Freo will meet the bid, then they bid on Green, confident GWS will match the bid, then with GCS 2 picks gone, Picks 6 and 7 basically gone, there is only Adelaide (who will pick Stephens) and Sydney (who won't pick Young -but Flanders or Robertson). Melbourne get both their targets Jackson and Young.
The AFL then bring in new rule for it to never happen again - only one bid with your pick.

The worst horror movie
Dee's begin with bid on Henry at 3 (gets rid of pick 7 - unless we can trade up when the bid is made) knowing Freo will meet the bid, then they bid on Green, confident GWS will match the bid, then with GCS 2 picks gone, Picks 6 and 7 basically gone, there is only Adelaide (who will pick Stephens) and Sydney (who won't pick Young -but Flanders or Robertson). Melbourne get both their targets Jackson and Young.
The AFL then bring in new rule for it to never happen again - only one bid with your pick.

We should under no circumstances match a bid on Henry at 3 imo.

The worst horror movie
GWS would trade their pick 6 for extra points.

Therefore, the Suns, Lions, Suns or someone else would get pick 6.

We wouldn’t able to match
as it will burn picks 7,10.

Even if a bid doesn’t come for Henry, I would consider downgrading pick 10.

Giants will either upgrade their pick 6 to get in before the Green or they will downgrade their pick 6 for extra points if the bid is before pick 6.

Either way, Green will be an extra pick in the top 10.

1-2 Rowell and Anderson

3-10 Young,Stephens,Flanders, Serong, Jackson, Kemp, Robertson or Ash.

If Kemp is available and don’t want to take the risk on his knee, we might want to downgrade pick 11.

If we trade pick 11 to the Cats for picks 15 and 25.

Just don’t see it. They have Preuss,whom can’t get a game, and Gawn in his prime. Young fits their needs as well as being rated top 5. Can’t see them playing silly buggers and if they do that’s just how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Depends if they want him.

GWS seem very likely to trade with Adelaide to swap 4 and 6. GWS will definitely pull the trigger. You say why don’t Melbourne bid Green well that is a possibility but he likely doesn’t get past Freo at 7 and Adelaide a chance at 4 or 6. If we pass happy days for Melbourne and they collect with 8. He definitely ain’t getting past 8.

No way on earth we match a bid at 3 or 4. Prob unlikely we match bid at 5/6 even.

Just don’t see it. They have Preuss,whom can’t get a game, and Gawn in his prime. Young fits their needs as well as being rated top 5. Can’t see them playing silly buggers and if they do that’s just how it works.

I disagree. They need a forward/duck to replace Hogan and eventually take the main ruck role from Gawn, and someone better than Weidman. He’s exactly what they need.

I was getting shades of Polec & Wingard - something about the way he puts his head forward and down a bit when he accelerates and the way he gets through traffic nicely & runs straight at the goals.
More wheels than either of them and probably a longer kick.
I like him. He, Sharp and Henry would practically double the excitement factor of our team on their own.

I didnt see one right foot kick, do not want.

GWS seem very likely to trade with Adelaide to swap 4 and 6. GWS will definitely pull the trigger. You say why don’t Melbourne bid Green well that is a possibility but he likely doesn’t get past Freo at 7 and Adelaide a chance at 4 or 6. If we pass happy days for Melbourne and they collect with 8. He definitely ain’t getting past 8.

No way on earth we match a bid at 3 or 4. Prob unlikely we match bid at 5/6 even.

We shouldnt match but Freo will get torched by the press and the unwashed. Curious and part of Freo's strategy is to tell Henry no promises on matching a bid. A shot across the bows of other teams to let them know they might get him if they play games and bid on him.

Geelong wants to trade draft picks to move into top 10
Jay ClarkHerald Sun
Sunday, 17 November 2019 5:38PM

1573983621726_2ff071ddac313044b0a4fe97ee8a25bb.jpeg
Credit: News Corp Australia

Geelong has its best draft haul in two decades and it wants to make it even stronger by moving into the top 10 next week via a pick swap. Will a rival help with a trade?
The Cats, who have picks 14, 17, 24 and 36, have held preliminary talks with several clubs about bundling up multiple picks in exchange for a single-figure selection.
Clubs can continue to trade draft picks until the November 27-28 event and can cut deals on the night.
Moving into the top 10 would put Geelong in the frame to secure one of the two most highly rated talls in Luke Jackson and Fischer McAsey.
Melbourne (pick 8), Carlton (9) and Fremantle (10) are all in the Cats’ sights, while Fremantle desperately hopes a rival club does not bid on academy prospect Liam Henry before pick 10.
1573983621726_7c599f820f7c8254fcb4fc136cbfc90a.jpeg
The Dockers controversially knocked back a deal involving pick 6 from St Kilda for Brad Hill, leaving them at risk of having to use pick 10 on small forward Henry.
The Cats will try to use their strongest draft hand in almost two decades to plan for life after key-position stars Tom Hawkins and Harry Taylor.
Gold Coast could also pair picks 15 and 20 for a late top-10 choice in a bid to land Western Australian captain Deven Robertson.
The move could help round out a brilliant draft haul for the Suns who are certain to recruit Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson with the first two choices.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but every club has a ruckman that they rate, so if clubs recruited based on needs no one would ever draft him. eg us - our first ruckman is about as bad as anyone's, and if we were recruiting for needs Bigfooty groupthink would say don't pick Jackson because we have Darcy.

Reality is if Jackson is a Grundy clone then in a couple of years any clubs that passed on him because they had a Preuss or Darcy is going to feel very stupid.

On the forums we talk about drafting based on needs/fit but in reality they should pick the best player.

I don't think we can "muck it up" so early but getting Serong and Flanders would feel a bit like getting Sheridan and Crozier for mine in as much I can see why but you don't do anything for the weakness you have at the time.

It's not that I can't see merit in both but Serong is (for mine) a small inside ball winner who is a little inconsistent with his kicking for that role (It's fine as a small forward) and Flanders I think is predominantly a forward who can go midfield a bit and his field kicking is a bit meh for mine as well; I know people are judging Ash on that game against WA but his kicking IMO is much better than these two. At least Robertson has elite speed, is a true midfielder and a great tackler and think he is about the same kicking level as these two.
Sheridan and Crozier was in the most comprised draft in living history.

GWS already had access to 12 players as seventeen year olds.

Therefore, makes Crozier and Sheridan as mid to late second rounders normally.

Their is no benefit for the Demons to bid on Green as pick 6 will be downgrade and pick 8 won’t be improved.

stirring the pot....

Pick 7 for Geelong 14,17 (16,19),
then Carlton 9,43 for Freo 2020 1st, 22 and 69,
then Freo 17,43,58 for Bris. 21,34,55,
and then trade 34 and Freo 2020 3rd for Carlton 2020 2nd and pick 70.

Freo have 9,10,14,21,55,70. 2020 rounds 2F,2M,2C,3C

Carlton have 22,34,52,69 2020 rounds 1F,1C, 3F

Geelong have 7,24,36 2020 rounds 14,17,35,38,71

preuss is a crab and Jackson is something different than just a ruck

Geelong wants to trade draft picks to move into top 10
Jay ClarkHerald Sun
Sunday, 17 November 2019 5:38PM

1573983621726_2ff071ddac313044b0a4fe97ee8a25bb.jpeg

Geelong has its best draft haul in two decades and it wants to make it even stronger by moving into the top 10 next week via a pick swap. Will a rival help with a trade?
The Cats, who have picks 14, 17, 24 and 36, have held preliminary talks with several clubs about bundling up multiple picks in exchange for a single-figure selection.
Clubs can continue to trade draft picks until the November 27-28 event and can cut deals on the night.
Moving into the top 10 would put Geelong in the frame to secure one of the two most highly rated talls in Luke Jackson and Fischer McAsey.
Melbourne (pick 8), Carlton (9) and Fremantle (10) are all in the Cats’ sights, while Fremantle desperately hopes a rival club does not bid on academy prospect Liam Henry before pick 10.
1573983621726_7c599f820f7c8254fcb4fc136cbfc90a.jpeg
The Dockers controversially knocked back a deal involving pick 6 from St Kilda for Brad Hill, leaving them at risk of having to use pick 10 on small forward Henry.
The Cats will try to use their strongest draft hand in almost two decades to plan for life after key-position stars Tom Hawkins and Harry Taylor.
Gold Coast could also pair picks 15 and 20 for a late top-10 choice in a bid to land Western Australian captain Deven Robertson.
The move could help round out a brilliant draft haul for the Suns who are certain to recruit Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson with the first two choices.

hmmm was hoping we got past 10 with no bid then offered Geelong or Gold Coast our first next year for 14/17 and 24 or 15 and 20.

Moron journalists are like politicians. If they just keep repeating a lie, people will take it as truth.

Even without passing judgement on the statement’s factual accuracy, it is mind numbingly dumb. It completely ignores the point that if Freo traded in pick 6 for Hill instead of pick 10, it may have to involve that for Henry, or it would not have as strong a suite of later picks to make up points for a post pick 7 Henry bid.

While seemingly counter intuitive, pick 7 to Geelong for picks 14 and 17 may actually strengthen Freo’s hand - depends on who they‘re targeting. For instance if Gould/Sharp/Rivers types are higher in their priorities than say Stephens/Robertson, it gets an extra top 17 player at little downside.

That said - best to do it in live trade on draft day in order to keep options open.

Last edited:
While seemingly counter intuitive, pick 7 to Geelong for picks 14 and 17 may actually strengthen Freo’s hand - depends on who they‘re targeting. For instance if Gould/Sharp/Rivers types are higher in their priorities than say Stephens/Robertson, it gets an extra top 17 player at little downside.

That said - best to do it in live trade on draft day in order to keep options open.
When a team upgrades to a top 10 pick they need to pay 50% more in points.

I don’t think it improves our situation.

On the road to Draft, their list manager said that they would need bid clubs to downgrade picks.

Doesn’t seem teams want to downgrade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back