Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would Brayshaw be more interested in playing with a few guys he played with as a kid than the group he's been playing with for the last two years?

He spent his childhood in Victoria for 17 years it’s where he grew up an played for Vic metro. His family friends and teammates play there and would get paid about twice what he is on to move back...but I’m just guessing. Two years in a professional environment will wipe that away.

I highly doubt it. Leaving aside the fact that I'm not sure "playing with mates" is actually a thing and that Ben recently re-signed that I highly doubt that sort of thing would ever enter Andy's head.

Yep, I have no idea what’s in Andy’s head. If I were saints I would be after him. He spent a fair bit of time when he lived with his good mate Lachie Neale not to talk about moving to a new club.

I highly doubt it. Leaving aside the fact that I'm not sure "playing with mates" is actually a thing and that Ben recently re-signed that I highly doubt that sort of thing would ever enter Andy's head.
Certainly didn’t help that he stayed with a guy that orchestrated his move to Brisbane in his first year... what a role model

Yep, I have no idea what’s in Andy’s head. If I were saints I would be after him. He spent a fair bit of time when he lived with his good mate Lachie Neale not to talk about moving to a new club.
Certainly didn’t help that he stayed with a guy that orchestrated his move to Brisbane in his first year... what a role model
The reason I am so sure Andy is going to be great is because you can see his mentality so easily just from the way he and his family talks (never mind the constant reports from other players and coaches). None of this sort of stuff bothers me in the least about him.

He'll go the journey here unless there is an extenuating circumstance.

He spent his childhood in Victoria for 17 years it’s where he grew up an played for Vic metro. His family friends and teammates play there and would get paid about twice what he is on to move back...but I’m just guessing. Two years in a professional environment will wipe that away.
He wouldn't get a million dollars a year yet.

Standard practice with AFL clubs is now to pay their playing high draftees overs to sign an extension.

I'm pretty confident Brayshaw and Tucker are both here for the journey. Both are very settled in Perth and are key pieces of the best 22. St Kilda love finding any link for hope someone will come to them - Tucker was a massive Saints fan growing up but that means nothing to him now.

I'm also doubtful Cerra will consider it anytime soon and if he did St Kilda would unlikely appeal anywhere near as much as the other options that would present.

Good on them though, they turned Hill into the highest paid winger in history and at last landed someone quality. That's one step above North I suppose. Although I am confused by the Saints strategy? I think their list is capable of making finals (not sure they will though) but are they building a premiership capable list? Which of their youngsters are going to become elite in time? I see a solid mid tier team without the scope for improvement to become a real contender. They have the 7th oldest list and finished 14th last year!

Nah. Missed two years of development in the midfield and is now playing catch up. Bradshaw seems a lot further along. For good reason

The best part is if Cerra has a breakout year now, is it because he's back in the middle where he belongs or is it because he has had a broader development which benefited him?
Or conversely if he doesn't, is it because of the wasted years or is it because he's not ready?

You'll never be be able to prove one way or another, and every BF pundit will take whichever side suits their viewpoint.
Almost like everything else...

The best part is if Cerra has a breakout year now, is it because he's back in the middle where he belongs or is it because he has had a broader development which benefited him?
Or conversely if he doesn't, is it because of the wasted years or is it because he's not ready?

You'll never be be able to prove one way or another, and every BF pundit will take whichever side suits their viewpoint.
Almost like everything else...
Agree totally. Making statements about his development being perfect under Ross, is pure quesswork and an attitude that everything Ross did was perfect because he was brilliant. There are two ways of looking at it, I just pointed out the alternative view. I have no idea which is the case. Nor does anyone else, really. We only have an opinion. Ross wasn't faultless, nor is he solely responsible for everything that went wrong. I'm a Ross who? now, and have totally moved on from him. But the conversation needs to remain balanced about him, as far as I'm concerned.

What are people’s thoughts on Valente? I’m really keen to see him play as he was highly rated and a draft slider, I hope there is a bit of footy played this year and he gets a chance to prove himself. Also - good job we didn’t trade into the 2020 draft heavily. I’d be nervous if I was some clubs..another top 10 pick and a pick 21 and western would be a good trio to add to the list for next year..
Who would people target with pick 6 (or 8) if the discount is enforced, who knows at this stage! Any chance Grainger Barass falls to pick 8?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are people’s thoughts on Valente? I’m really keen to see him play as he was highly rated and a draft slider, I hope there is a bit of footy played this year and he gets a chance to prove himself. Also - good job we didn’t trade into the 2020 draft heavily. I’d be nervous if I was some clubs..another top 10 pick and a pick 21 and western would be a good trio to add to the list for next year..
Who would people target with pick 6 (or 8) if the discount is enforced, who knows at this stage! Any chance Grainger Barass falls to pick 8?
I feel for Valente.

Injured last year and won’t get much of go this year. Lists reduced to 35 and Fremantle full of young inside midfielders.

The kid is extremely professional and hard but without the elite skills and athleticism.

It is really borderline that we kept him on the list.

List sizes will most likely be reduced to 35 next year. Therefore, reducing the amount of development players you can have on the list.

We have Walker and Western as NGA and possibility Rioli as father son. Do we committed to all three or do we prioritise?

As for Grainger Barass, if he slides to us it’s a no brainer.

I would like us to trade into places where their is WA talent. Salary cap most likely be reduced by 30% making interstate recruits harder to keep.

Going into the 2020 draft with just our 1st round an 2nd round picks might not be such a big deal with the potential of only a couple of rounds in the draft.
I posted the same about 2-3 weeks ago. Seems like an eternity to be honest.

So much unknown but it appears we should have a top 10 pick (even with points deficit carry-over) and Melbourne’s 2nd round pick also a decent pick in the top 30. Unlikely Joel Western or other academy players go before those two picks. Hopefully we get some Spring football in, for some league exposure for our younger players like Sturt, Valente, Serong, Young, Henry.

I feel for Valente.

Injured last year and won’t get much of go this year. Lists reduced to 35 and Fremantle full of young inside midfielders.

The kid is extremely professional and hard but without the elite skills and athleticism.

It is really borderline that we kept him on the list.

List sizes will most likely be reduced to 35 next year. Therefore, reducing the amount of development players you can have on the list.

We have Walker and Western as NGA and possibility Rioli as father son. Do we committed to all three or do we prioritise?

I would like us to trade into places where their is WA talent. Salary cap most likely be reduced by 30% making interstate recruits harder to keep.
There will be a reduction of list sizes but doubt it will be as drastic as going from 44-46 down to 35. Or do you mean primary list down from 38-40 to 35. That seems more likely with changes/reductions to the Rookie lists on top of that.

What happens with the Rookie list will be interesting in terms of Cat-A and Cat-B. Leno Thomas for eg hasn’t done himself any favours based on limited exposure. Dixon a work in progress re: training professionalism but will he be afforded the chances others before him have had? Has Toby Watson shown enough? Dillon O’Reilly?

So let’s say primary lists do reduce to 35, we from memory have 39 on primary list so without any trades would need to cull 7 from primary list before we can select 3 new draftees.

There will be a reduction of list sizes but doubt it will be as drastic as going from 44-46 down to 35. Or do you mean primary list down from 38-40 to 35. That seems more likely with changes/reductions to the Rookie lists on top of that.

What happens with the Rookie list will be interesting in terms of Cat-A and Cat-B. Leno Thomas for eg hasn’t done himself any favours based on limited exposure. Dixon a work in progress re: training professionalism but will he be afforded the chances others before him have had? Has Toby Watson shown enough? Dillon O’Reilly?

So let’s say primary lists do reduce to 35, we from memory have 39 on primary list so without any trades would need to cull 7 from primary list before we can select 3 new draftees.
Primary list of 35 with no rookie list.

It is pretty drastic but the AFL is looking at it to reduce costs.

We will need to cut or trade 12 players to get to 35 and more to create spots for drafting, trades and free agency.

I don't know how much of that is official.
It’s not.

It has been reported in the Age.

Reading the tea leaves, I think it will happen.

AFL is looking to reduce costs.

Football department will have a reduced soft cap. Reduced the amount of players you need to look after.

Players hard cap will likely be reduced by 30%. The top players control the AFLPA and will do their best efforts to make as money as they can. Less players to share the cap with.

Rioli is going to Richmond if anywhere. Dude has the most ridiculous amount of hype for someone that seemingly has done nothing in a serious competition. If list sizes are reduced and he doesn't get a chance this year then I doubt he gets on a list.

DGB is only a no-brainer if he can play forward. We don't have any room for 195cm KPDs in the team atm.

Rioli is going to Richmond if anywhere. Dude has the most ridiculous amount of hype for someone that seemingly has done nothing in a serious competition. If list sizes are reduced and he doesn't get a chance this year then I doubt he gets on a list.

DGB is only a no-brainer if he can play forward. We don't have any room for 195cm KPDs in the team atm.
I think we are in a good position with only Fyfe, Walters, being absolutely elite players ATM, and The Hogan situation
will be resolved one way or another.
Cash flow problems should see us only using NGA, drafts to improve and forget trades unless forced from within.
As for U18 sight unseen, our recruiters should of seen enough at u16, colts, etc, to make an astute selection.
I think Port have done well with both Rozee, and now Mitch Georgiardes, and even Fyfe was abit of a gamble on
one very good colts game, I know at the time I was excited with that selection.
Sturt is another pick that was selected on limited material, but showed something.
DGB has plenty of hype already, and the talk is now top 3-5, with his height confirmed at 195cm, really depends
on how the AFL work out the selections, no season, last years table, etc, or very reduced fixture.
Adding another forward and ruck/forward is our only real concern to balance the list. The NGA is the gift that keeps
on giving.

Rioli hasn’t done enough to be considered a first or second round pick

Richmond have a host of small forward/midfield types. With reduced list sizes, they may only want to use 2 draft picks.
DGB is a key back but for me you go best player available.

Cox hasn’t signed yet and after him we have no depth. Cox Play play forward.

DGB can be a solid back up for 4 years and then replace Hamling. Also, Pearce hasn’t shown he can play a full season.

Rioli hasn’t done enough to be considered a first or second round pick

Richmond have a host of small forward/midfield types. With reduced list sizes, they may only want to use 2 draft picks.
DGB is a key back but for me you go best player available.

Cox hasn’t signed yet and after him we have no depth. Cox Play play forward.

DGB can be a solid back up for 4 years and then replace Hamling. Also, Pearce hasn’t shown he can play a full season.
Really depends on how well Logue can develop, clubs like WC, Tigers, getaway with two talls, and we have Young who i expect to
dominate his position.
Our players that can play against different opposition heights in Young, Ryan, Hughes, etc, should give us the run and carry to turn
defence into attack.
At the end of the day its the midfield that can limit opposition inside 50's, and ball retention.
The game against the Dons totally changed once we nullified their midfield dominance, and after half time we lost that game rather than being
beaten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back