MRP / Trib. 2019 MRP Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Player kneeing Ryan, should have been fined ($1000) as he instigated the contact. Ryan is obviously stretching and in a vulnerable position, no need for it.Ryan should have got suspended under the don't punch rule.
You would be amazed at how much junior players copy AFL mistakes.

Player kneeing Ryan, should have been fined ($1000) as he instigated the contact. Ryan is obviously stretching and in a vulnerable position, no need for it.Ryan should have got suspended under the don't punch rule.
You would be amazed at how much junior players copy AFL mistakes.
You mean the directive the AFL stated at the start of the season that they havent acted upon to any real extent at all ? .
Shouldn't the instigator get the week and Ryan the fine if anything ?

You mean the directive the AFL stated at the start of the season that they havent acted upon to any real extent at all ? .
Shouldn't the instigator get the week and Ryan the fine if anything ?

In a perfect world, yes, but a fine for stupidity would be more embarrassing for the instigator in this case as it wasn't hurtful. it was just stupid. Ryan has punched a guy for being stupid, so even punching someone who is stupid is against the ruling of the game.

They call it Duty of care when you tackle someone as they have no defense if arms are pinned and fall to the ground. If you punch someone, they have no defense as no one should expect to be punched on the footy field.

In a perfect world, yes, but a fine for stupidity would be more embarrassing for the instigator in this case as it wasn't hurtful. it was just stupid. Ryan has punched a guy for being stupid, so even punching someone who is stupid is against the ruling of the game.

They call it Duty of care when you tackle someone as they have no defense if arms are pinned and fall to the ground. If you punch someone, they have no defense as no one should expect to be punched on the footy field.
Understand what your saying but if the AFL really want to stamp these kind of actions out they must take a tougher stance with the instigator .
There's no punch coming from Ryan if you call it that as I don't think it was much more than a jumper punch with no real impact if the instigator is dealt with more harshly at the tribunal .
Given time and an appropriate deterrent eventually players
will realise this is not working and we will see less of these cheap shots that lead to retaliation .

Understand what your saying but if the AFL really want to stamp these kind of actions out they must take a tougher stance with the instigator .
There's no punch coming from Ryan if you call it that as I don't think it was much more than a jumper punch with no real impact if the instigator is dealt with more harshly at the tribunal .
Given time and an appropriate deterrent eventually players
will realise this is not working and we will see less of these cheap shots that lead to retaliation

But the AFL aren't doing this, they said punches would result in suspension, yet here we are 6 weeks in, none the wiser as to what they will suspend and what they won't and player status still playing a part in suspension. It needs to be black and white for players to be a deterrent.

But the AFL aren't doing this, they said punches would result in suspension, yet here we are 6 weeks in, none the wiser as to what they will suspend and what they won't and player status still playing a part in suspension. It needs to be black and white for players to be a deterrent.
Yep spot on , they are a shocking administration .

And I'm saying that, given the way other players have been adjudicated for "striking", and given Samo got up and played on without any issues, that a one week suspension seems harsh. Cousins didn't punch him. He was coming in to bump, then tried to stop and brace, and accidentally caught Samo high with his forearm. I think it's ridiculous that he gets a more significant suspension than players who have deliberately and forcefully punched opponents.

I see where you are coming from - however I think that Setterfield 2 weeks was like Ed and Charlies touching umpire last year - a reaction to media yelling and an unfair suspension ( following week and other examples of worse 'touching' ignored afterwards) - far far worse has copped nothing. it is the lack of consistency that is really irksome. In looking at the hit on SPS- the best I can say is that it was extremely careless, late and high - but lets be honest- Clarkson coaches his players to rub out significant playmakers - he has been doing it since the beginning of his coaching at Hawthorn.

On top of this we have Christenson a known 'dope' ex Collingwood through and through Collingwood single man MRP making decisions often obviously influenced by the narrative handed to him by known Carlton haters like Roos.

I don't think it is a satisfactory situation.

I see where you are coming from - however I think that Setterfield 2 weeks was like Ed and Charlies touching umpire last year - a reaction to media yelling and an unfair suspension ( following week and other examples of worse 'touching' ignored afterwards) - far far worse has copped nothing. it is the lack of consistency that is really irksome. In looking at the hit on SPS- the best I can say is that it was extremely careless, late and high - but lets be honest- Clarkson coaches his players to rub out significant playmakers - he has been doing it since the beginning of his coaching at Hawthorn.

On top of this we have Christenson a known 'dope' ex Collingwood through and through Collingwood single man MRP making decisions often obviously influenced by the narrative handed to him by known Carlton haters like Roos.

I don't think it is a satisfactory situation.

No, no it's not.

A single person MRO should have improved consistency. It's done nothing of the sort.

So very easy to fix, as well.

No, no it's not.

A single person MRO should have improved consistency. It's done nothing of the sort.

So very easy to fix, as well.
I’m not single but doubt I could do any worse.

Happy to have a crack at it

So Zurhaar is clear for his bump and head clash on Liam Jones which concussed Jones and sent him to hospital.

The incident as shown on the AFL site only covers a portion of the distance that Zurhaar covered before he hit Jones. The ball was airborne for sometime and the Norf player ran from some distance (20 metres?) to charge a player who only had eyes for the ball.

I thought this would be the outcome however I was staggered (and disappointed) that Carlton players accepted the incident and did not respond.

So Zurhaar is clear for his bump and head clash on Liam Jones which concussed Jones and sent him to hospital.

The incident as shown on the AFL site only covers a portion of the distance that Zurhaar covered before he hit Jones. The ball was airborne for sometime and the Norf player ran from some distance (20 metres?) to charge a player who only had eyes for the ball.

I thought this would be the outcome however I was staggered (and disappointed) that Carlton players accepted the incident and did not respond.
Reckon both players had eyes on the ball, making the contact accidental. Not upset by the decision to clear him.

Also have no issue with our players not making an issue of it, Zurhaar was clearly hurt from the contact, his face was covered in blood almost instantly. Would be disappointed if our players had taken their focus off Jones who was clearly unconscious, to make a beeline for an injured player just to make an issue of something that really wasn't anything more than an accident.

What it does do, is call into question the stupid decision to give Setterfield a two week ban based almost exclusively on the injury to the other player involved in the incident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t know and it doesn’t matter because apparently there is an exemption clause for champions of the game according to Healy ...
Well..well...well.... Gaza has been handed a 1 game ban ..
We just have to wait for the cats to appeal it so he can carry on..

He has to run it past Whateley & Dangerfield first.
Wheatley of course banging on AFL360 that they should appeal and 'the Little Master' will be free to play next week.

This coming from the same person who only a month or so back openly stated that Liam Jones should get a week for a similar action, and the AFL should 'make a scapegoat of him just to send a message through the football community'. 1557099027673.gif

Tbh fellas watched about 10 replays of the Ablett incident. Isn’t a pure elbow to the head, the contact the forearm elbow makes is more of a push down after initial contact. It’s very different to the one on sps, and grimes action on Elliott. It will and should get off. Agree when I first saw it it looked terrible but should be fine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back