2019 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle has made an effort to engage the media and fans more, brand building, because if we don't give them something to write about they will find something and that's not a controllable.
They must have take note of Ugo Landro's question and comments at the recent AGM . It's great that the members concerns in regards the media bias are being addressed.

What were the answers? Good questions
In regards to the NGA article they said it was a good idea and they would see what they could do in the new year.
In regards to the live-streaming of the intraclub match they said they are considering it. So if people want it I suggest they message the club and let them know.

Whether or not they do any of it I'm not sure. I guess we'll see.

According to the West, they return on Monday the 7th of January.
Any training post on Jan 7 will be a Christmas present to us Ukrainian Orthodox people who celebrate on that date as opposed to Dec 25th, but to be brutally honest, we get 2 Christmases, 2 New Years & usually 2 Easters as we take any chance we can 2 celebrate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few of your posts are totally reverse of how I see things.

Players and coaches have media duties and public appearances included in their contracts. I doubt if they have any say in it once they have signed up to do media stuff. I really can't see this kind of thing being driven by the football department at all. This stuff is all about selling the club, memberships, sponsors etc. No way that gets driven by the football department. Rosich would be all over it though. Not Bell.
Peter Bell has worked in the media on an off since his retirement. He is very media savy. What he would be doing is combining his football knowledge and media skills to improve our overall message.

Broken hand draft year and wasn't seen as quick.
The good news is that he has already shown he is quick enough to run down brad hill at full pace at training, while also running a quick 20metre sprint time at draft testing. He also said he worked on his speed last year. His speed looks great to me from viewing him in person in match sims as well.

Peter Bell has worked in the media on an off since his retirement. He is very media savy. What he would be doing is combining his football knowledge and media skills to improve our overall message.
That's a pity, because what we really need is a good General Manager of Football Operations focused on those issues. We have some important areas that can be improved including Assistant coaches, Senior Coaches contract and performance, pre-season, Player Development, Injuries and Fitness. Our current guy, Luke Morfesses, who should be taking care of the media spent 20+ years at West Australian by the way, and is also part of the Senior Management team. I hope he doesn't lend a hand into the football operations area.

Of course I expect them to have a chat around the coffee machine, but otherwise get on with your job.

* General Manager Media and Communications - Luke Morfesse
An award winning journalist, Luke joined the Club in 2008 after a 21-year career at The West Australian newspaper. During that time, he was the paper’s senior crime reporter for more than a decade, preceded by a three year stint as chief of The West’s Melbourne and Sydney bureaux. He was also a longtime editor of the paper’s highly popular Inside Cover column. Luke is responsible for communications/media management and public relations.

Last edited:
That's a pity, because what we really need is a good General Manager of Football Operations focused on those issues. We have some important areas that can be improved including Assistant coaches, Senior Coaches contract and performance, pre-season, Player Development, Injuries and Fitness. Our current guy, Luke Morfesses, who should be taking care of the media spent 20+ years at West Australian by the way, and is also part of the Senior Management team. I hope he doesn't lend a hand into the football operations area.

Of course I expect them to have a chat around the coffee machine, but otherwise get on with your job.

An award winning journalist, Luke joined the Club in 2008 after a 21-year career at The West Australian newspaper. During that time, he was the paper’s senior crime reporter for more than a decade, preceded by a three year stint as chief of The West’s Melbourne and Sydney bureaux. He was also a longtime editor of the paper’s highly popular Inside Cover column. Luke is responsible for communications/media management and public relations.

Yep I think this board is getting a bit carried away with the notion that anything good happening at the club is a direct result of Bell's recent appointment.

I guess the good thing is whoever is responsible the club is looking very professional...do I dare say finally?

Yep I think this board is getting a bit carried away with the notion that anything good happening at the club is a direct result of Bell's recent appointment.

I guess the good thing is whoever is responsible the club is looking very professional...do I dare say finally?
I think media campaigns get planned a fair way in advance of when we get to see them rolling out. Which individuals will be interviewed, which players will be given a camera to record a video to post, when the women's team will be profiled, TV, Print, Social Media, Memberships. There would be a fully strategised plan that would have been ticked of by Rosich and would have been ready to roll out before Bell was brought in.

I think media campaigns get planned a fair way in advance of when we get to see them rolling out. Which individuals will be interviewed, which players will be given a camera to record a video to post, when the women's team will be profiled, TV, Print, Social Media, Memberships. There would be a fully strategised plan that would have been ticked of by Rosich and would have been ready to roll out before Bell was brought in.

You'd think so.

Disagree. The media climate has changed a lot in recent years. Having someone just out of the media who can identify with the current stresses media outlets are under in terms of sourcing stories cant hurt, particularly as he can apply significant football knowledge to the messaging the clubs sends out.

That's what we do here. And the reverse of it too - anything bad that happens to the club is Rosich and Lyon's fault :p

Disagree. The media climate has changed a lot in recent years. Having someone just out of the media who can identify with the current stresses media outlets are under in terms of sourcing stories cant hurt, particularly as he can apply significant football knowledge to the messaging the clubs sends out.
Of course it hurts if someone isn't focussing on one of the most critical positions in the club, a position they have just arrived in, and have no prior experience in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back