News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here! (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS currently have picks 6, 40, 59, 60 & 80.

If they traded next year's 1st rounder & pick 6 for pick 4, they would even lose more points/picks next year when they need to match.

They would be paying heaps for 2 top 5 picks.

Still think more likely they use pick 6 to get more points for matching the bid & still have a late 1st rounder / early 2nd rounder to use.
If we really wanted that 2020 1st from them and melbourne have passed on bidding on green on the night then before we name green as a bid could we not swap pick 4 for 6 and their 2020 1st and maybe we give them a 2020 2nd (bulldogs not ours) or 2020 3rd back to help offset the big points loss they will take. Really it should be almost a no brainer from their end unless they think they will get a better player with their late 1st they will likely get next year than a top 4 pick this year. And that is not likely to be the case. Therefore why waste resources trading back down just to save a 2020 1st rounder when they can get 2 x top 5 rated kids now.

Why are people so keen to trade pick 4?

The scenarios I see coming up mostly look like junk if another team wants pick 4, they pay a premium.
I am of the opinion that we should just hold it.

Given the way we have travelled recently, just dont be cute. Its bound to backfire. Hell, the pick swap nearly didnt come off in the end.

If we really wanted that 2020 1st from them and melbourne have passed on bidding on green on the night then before we name green as a bid could we not swap pick 4 for 6 and their 2020 1st and maybe we give them a 2020 2nd (bulldogs not ours) or 2020 3rd back to help offset the big points loss they will take. Really it should be almost a no brainer from their end unless they think they will get a better player with their late 1st they will likely get next year than a top 4 pick this year. And that is not likely to be the case. Therefore why waste resources trading back down just to save a 2020 1st rounder when they can get 2 x top 5 rated kids now.
Why do we want to bank 1st rounders next year?

Next year is compromised & we have 2 bid prospects so points more an issue for us.

Further we need the best picks this year given we need to replace plenty of players, so pushing back picks to next year is crazy.

We should only be trading pick 4 if it allows us to get 2 top 10 picks this year. We have never had an opportunity to draft a top 5 player before so would need significant overs to give up the opportunity.

I am of the opinion that we should just hold it.

Given the way we have travelled recently, just dont be cute. Its bound to backfire. Hell, the pick swap nearly didnt come off in the end.

Yeah, holding it sounds like the best plan. If it was getting sold off, I'd want something far better than mid first range picks

Why do we want to bank 1st rounders next year?

Next year is compromised & we have 2 bid prospects so points more an issue for us.

Further we need the best picks this year given we need to replace plenty of players, so pushing back picks to next year is crazy.

We should only be trading pick 4 if it allows us to get 2 top 10 picks this year. We have never had an opportunity to draft a top 5 player before so would need significant overs to give up the opportunity.
I'd drop 2 spots in this draft for an extra 1st next year that we could use to trade back into this years draft if we wanted. It is only a drop of 2 spots

I'd drop 2 spots in this draft for an extra 1st next year that we could use to trade back into this years draft if we wanted. It is only a drop of 2 spots
Sure, but why would GWS...

I wouldn't.

Will likely be pick 21 after academy picks as well as the ongoing GC draft concessions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we helping them get 2 top 5 picks?? We should be asking for 6 2020 1st and pick 40 as a starting point, give us what we want or they have to use pick 6 and extra to get Green, they just played in a grandfinal we shouldn't be helping them at all... I'd ask for 3 firsts if we could.

They stuffed up trading for 6 which was worth less points, they new an early bid was likely particulary from us. Pay a randsom or cop it on the chin.

Why would Freo be interested at all in trading up? I just can't see it unless it's for pick 3 which gives them carte blanche to select any player other than the big 2 and Green and still get their Academy guy Henry via points even if they go into deficit anyhow? Or am I reading it all wrong? 7 and 10 gets them their Academy guy Liam Henry and another prospective top liner anyhow.....only other WA player likely to go in the top 10 is Luke Jackson even though there is some real quality from WA in this particular draft, better than SA in this draft IMO.
I can see Deven Robertson going earlier than many predict. Hasn't done a lot wrong and looks class.

If we hold our current hand he's too early for our first selection and won't make it to our second. But if picks change hands I'd be delighted to see him at the Crows.

It's easy to say that if talent was rated on a static list everyone picks from. If you rate a player as the best player available on your list, but you know you can move down and still get him and improve later picks, why wouldn't you do that?
I just think just stop trying to be so smart and take the pick.

The cynic in me still says people (including Hamish) trade down to take the pressure off themselves. They can effectively take more of a gamble and if it works, they say exactly what you've just said. If it doesn't, well, it's a lower pick anyway so you can't expect too much.

Prove me wrong Hamish, take the pick.

If he genuinely believes the 4th best talent exists at a later pick and that he is certain we will get him, then sure, do the trade. However this pick will come with the greatest expectation this club has seen regardless of where it ultimately ends up. The AFC fans will be expecting the player picked to be one of the top 4 players to come out of this draft regardless of whether it's 7 or 10 etc.

We cannot get this wrong.

I just think just stop trying to be so smart and take the pick.

The cynic in me still says people (including Hamish) trade down to take the pressure off themselves. They can effectively take more of a gamble and if it works, they say exactly what you've just said. If it doesn't, well, it's a lower pick anyway so you can't expect too much.

Prove me wrong Hamish, take the pick.

If he genuinely believes the 4th best talent exists at a later pick and that he is certain we will get him, then sure, do the trade. However this pick will come with the greatest expectation this club has seen regardless of where it ultimately ends up. The AFC fans will be expecting the player picked to be one of the top 4 players to come out of this draft regardless of whether it's 7 or 10 etc.

We cannot get this wrong.
All reports are that outside the top 2 there's no real set order after that. That is likely going to cause a lot of different talent lists between the teams, which is going to have guys higher on some lists and lower on others and give plenty of scope for teams to move up/down to get who they want.

Even if we moved down to 6/7/10 it's still a high pick that'll have expectations on them.

The only swap Adelaide should be doing with 4 is with Fremantle.

If we could swap 4 & 45 7 & 10 then that’s the only option I think we should do. I just can’t see Fremantle doing it. They will get a player before Carlton bid on Henry. Unless they really want Jackson and they know someone will take him before 7 rolls around.

The swap for 6 and GWS future first (likely 15ish) is a horrible trade

The only swap Adelaide should be doing with 4 is with Fremantle.

If we could swap 4 & 45 7 & 10 then that’s the only option I think we should do. I just can’t see Fremantle doing it. They will get a player before Carlton bid on Henry. Unless they really want Jackson and they know someone will take him before 7 rolls around.

The swap for 6 and GWS future first (likely 15ish) is a horrible trade
That doesn't really make sense.

Any trade where you can get the player you want AND an additional asset is worth doing.

If we do want Stephens, say, it would be insanity taking him at 4 when the earliest he's projected to go is 7 to Freo.

Move to 6, grab the extra first and make it part of the package for Luko or, ironically, Hately.

People are quick to jump to "that's a bad trade" before the whole thing has panned out,
If someone said move 2 places down but the pick you get next year means you have currency to trade for Luko.
Or GWS have a Melbourne like season and crash to the bottom and it ends up being a a Top 5 pick, everyone assumes they'll be good again we've seen what happens to teams who get rmbarrassed in the GF.

People want to judge straight away but we can't do it, if it involves a pick next year.

I was told yesterday from a friend of campos brother that Camporeale had his contract renewed for a further 2 years just before the review. WTF
Any idea how long before?

There have been others who mentioned he had his contract renewed and that’s why he had a payout.

If it was just during the season that’s not as bad as just before the review, it would show how clueless our management really is.

I was told yesterday from a friend of campos brother that Camporeale had his contract renewed for a further 2 years just before the review. WTF
Not a surprise TBH, Chapman LOVES Campo, if it wasn't for the external review and the rest of the board getting to hear Dunstall's presentation he would have been backed in again.

That doesn't really make sense.

Any trade where you can get the player you want AND an additional asset is worth doing.

If we do want Stephens, say, it would be insanity taking him at 4 when the earliest he's projected to go is 7 to Freo.

Move to 6, grab the extra first and make it part of the package for Luko or, ironically, Hately.

We should have just kept 8 and 19 then.

I would rather trade 8, 19 and 45 for 7 and 10 compared to 8 and 19 for 6 and 15ish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back