2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

All the other clubs are making their delisting decisions now as well, are there any players that would be of value, picking them up as delisted free agents in the psd or whenever? Ive seen wylie buzza, even brandon ah chee if he doesnt take up west coasts offer, mentioned here recently.

Could we be holding off on some further delistings, examining what dfa's are out there?

We dont have the list spots. To pick up anyone else at this stage would mean delisting a similar player. Id rather keep the likes of Lester and Bundy.

Except all were out of contract, so would have signed completely new deals which could have been at the minimum salary, or even rookie contracts. So all that cash is freed up either way.

For trade, it’s relevant only if they were offered significant salaries elsewhere. All evidence suggests that they were very low deals, certainly not 3 or 4 hundred k.

That's under the assumption the players were happy to sign for complete unders. I think you'll find the players of value will find themselves at new clubs and would likely know who'll be signing them already.

Agreed, we have too many picks to just take 3 to draft. Would have to lose more than half of them. But my post was actually saying we will take 5 picks to the draft, with 2 of them as upgrades... Big O and Hinge. Hence 3 live picks. If Hinge is not upgraded we will have at least 4 live picks I think. Anyway, enough semantics.
I imagine the club is trying to work on some pick trades to upgrade one or possibly two picks at this stage. And possibly trade some of the later picks for future picks.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we take 4 picks to the draft. 3 picks in the first two rounds for the top talent, and then a later pick for an academy selection.

I guess the final list announcements will come if/when the club settles on it’s draft picks.

The minimum salary for a player (other than first and second year players) is a bit over $100k if I recall correctly. I’m not suggesting $100k is a poor wage by everyday standards but I doubt many players are on the lowest amount and certainly not guys with time in the system like Walker. I suspect the practical minimum offer for a player like him would be at least $200k.

That's under the assumption the players were happy to sign for complete unders. I think you'll find the players of value will find themselves at new clubs and would likely know who'll be signing them already.
But no one signs a delisted free agent on anything above the minimum salary - or maybe very slightly above. If there’s enough competition to drive their wage up, they’ll get traded. Robertson would be on minimum if he is lucky enough to be picked up at all, and it doesn’t look like Bastinac, Walker and Keays will be picked up.

Any player would be happy to accept minimum salary over a deal in the wafl.

The point is not that these players are brilliant. The point is that come finals next year, when an unexpected injury hits, it’s preferable to have the option of 4 x 23-28 year olds with plenty of experience, over uncapped low draft picks in their first or second year. That’s the type of depth you need in a premiership window, that’s the type of depth we’ve chosen to push out, even though keeping them would only cost the list space and salary of the low draftee that replaces them.

I’m not saying it’s necessarily the wrong thing to do, just that salary is not an issue, and that these decisions are investments in the future at the direct expense of 2020 and 2021.

And maybe that’s the way to go, like anything, its about balance. Who knows though, maybe we’ll package a few picks together and only take 2 picks at the draft, upgrade McInerney, and then look to sign an experienced mature aged player or two as a DFA.

Last edited:
Thinking 2 live picks, pushing the draft picks as high as we can, then 2 academy selections max. Combine with the 3 other players in and that is 7 changes. Still a big amount.
Yeah, I can see this scenario occur with a live trade on draft night.

I believe it will be very hard to trade in to the top 12 of the draft. Maybe Melbourne’s pick 8 might be getable, but it could take 3 picks to get it.

Personally, I’d be happy if we could move up to the Bulldogs pick at 13, if it cost us picks 16 & 34.

For me pick 21 holds more value, not just as a draft night trade chip, but also for the quality of kid potentially still available at 21, which I expect to move back 3 spots, as opposed picks 24/25.

In which case I’d be happy with 13, 21 and two picks in the 50’s come the draft.

But no one signs a delisted free agent on anything above the minimum salary - or maybe very slightly above. If there’s enough competition to drive their wage up, they’ll get traded. Robertson would be on minimum if he is lucky enough to be picked up at all, and it doesn’t look like Bastinac, Walker and Keays will be picked up.
This isn't true any more. Now that we have delisted free agents clubs look at players, see if they're going to be delisted anyway and if they are they won't bother putting in a trade offer. Lyons didn't sign on minimum wage and there wasn't a bidding war. de Boer didn't sign with GWS on the minimum wage.

This isn't true any more. Now that we have delisted free agents clubs look at players, see if they're going to be delisted anyway and if they are they won't bother putting in a trade offer. Lyons didn't sign on minimum wage and there wasn't a bidding war. de Boer didn't sign with GWS on the minimum wage.

Henderson at the Hawks is in the same boat.

General understanding that if the player was gonna get delisted, the clubs don't push for a trade. Even if they did a trade, it would be a late pick just to get it done. Isn't worth the effort. Also if a player isn't in the clubs plans, they will delist to make the move easier to them if they don't have trade value. Hence why Cutler and Lewy got traded (had interest and small value), the rest are just delist and sign with whoever they find. Not really a loss for us and it makes it easier for them to find a new home.

Wasn’t de Boer picked up via the draft, rather than as a delisted free agent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bastinac 400k
Taylor 400k
Walker 500k
Robertson 350k
Cutler 350k
Keays 250k

Salary would no doubt have played a massive part in the delisting and trading.
Too much cash running around in the 2's. This money will be spent elsewhere ASAP eg. The BIG O
Add that up and we can pay Clug for the first year of him next contract. 😬

The point is pretty clear, you stated 5 & 9 is fair for a 60 goal a year forward.

To which Dlions responded with 'he's only done that once in his career'.

If he can kick 60 goals in a year when fit, but he's only done that once so far in his career then he's injury prone no?

Yeah, that was exactly what I was thinking.

AFL is professional ffs .. mates, teams & fans have got nothing to do with it. Lions medical staff are getting a bit of a reputation for managing players well so that may have been a factor in Callum's preference. Anyhow, doesn't matter how much money the AFL throws at the Gold Coast .. Rugby League, Soccer, Basketball, AFL, you name it .. what sporting franchise has ever been successful in that place .. would have better luck relocating them to Charters Towers.

I do think walker has more to offer than lester depth versatility wise. I think we have lost something there. Kinda signals they think payne is ready to step up and that wooler or someone is close to a shot if theres a injury to a fwd. I was all for walker and squizzy being kept as depth, part of me still thinks we will need them, but there is obviously faith in the youth coming thru by those that know much more than me so im happy to back their call.

I guess we could still delist a cpl more later if needed. If we see someone handy available in the psd.

I think Adams recruitment made Walkers loss inevitable, Lester is probably the most versatile player we have; though limited as well.

I think Adams recruitment made Walkers loss inevitable, Lester is probably the most versatile player we have; though limited as well.
If we are talking defensively?
I would think that Darcy Gardiner would be pushing for our most versatile.

If we are talking defensively?
I would think that Darcy Gardiner would be pushing for our most versatile.

I guess I mean in terms of a real all-rounder, he has always been respected for his nous and football knowledge as they say. But yes in defense Gardiner is more talentedly-versatile if you see what I mean. ;)

While it’s disappointing for players to be delisted, I don’t really buy into the “he was good depth so we should have kept him”. I would think from the list management perspective, once a player is considered “good depth” then their time is up. We need to be continuously searching for players that has the edge and will be pushing for selection every week, or better yet squeezing out an established 22 player. For the young guys this means they’re developing and pushing up. For the guys we trade in, they are expected to be pushing into best 22.
Robertson, Taylor, Cutler, Walker, Bastinac have all been in the system a long time - so while able to fill a gap when needed, they were no longer about to push out another established 22 player. The hope for CEY & Ah Chee is they’ll be squeezing out someone who was best 22 this year - much the same as McCarthy & Adams (once fit) did this year. Not every player brought in will be a success, but list management need to keep searching, rather than hanging onto players that aren’t quite making the grade in our system.

There are exceptions. Lester must bring something else that no one behind him on the list does, and Birchall is likely coming to play Hodge’s role while someone else develops to really be the backline general.

Yes! The ideal world is where we look upon our best 22 players as the future depth and find new team members to challenge or replace them. Sounds a bit mercenary but I think that's how depth should be looked upon, like endless improvement. Found this write up of our next years best 22 interesting, in that all three of our new recruits make their way in. It's a fair guess and I found the reasoning interesting and in some ways very compelling.

BRISBANE LIONS

B:
Alex Witherden, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich

HB: Grant Birchall, Darcy Gardiner, Callum Ah Chee

C: Hugh McCluggage, Lachie Neale, Mitch Robinson

HF: Lincoln McCarthy, Eric Hipwood, Dayne Zorko

F: Charlie Cameron, Daniel McStay, Allen Christensen

FOLL: Stefan Martin, Jarryd Lyons, Cam Ellis-Yolmen

I/C: Noah Answerth, Cam Rayner, Jarrod Berry, Marcus Adams

In: Callum Ah Chee, Grant Birchall, Cam Ellis-Yolmen

Out: Tom Cutler, Luke Hodge, Lewis Taylor, Nick Robertson, Ben Keays, Josh Walker, Ryan Bastinac

We say: Brisbane is set to have a new half-back line in 2020. Grant Birchall is a straight swap for former Lion Luke Hodge, given the two play similar roles. Callum Ah Chee is versatile but will likely take the spot of Ryan Lester or Zac Bailey, while youngster Noah Answerth also plays a similar role. There is a question mark over Cam Rayner’s form, but given he played every game in 2019, he is likely to be part of Chris Fagan’s best 22 again come Round 1. Cam Ellis-Yolmen is likely to battle it out with the Lions’ talented midfielders for a spot in the 22, but as a bigger-bodied midfielder he could be ready in Round 1.

Yes! The ideal world is where we look upon our best 22 players as the future depth and find new team members to challenge or replace them. Sounds a bit mercenary but I think that's how depth should be looked upon, like endless improvement. Found this write up of our next years best 22 interesting, in that all three of our new recruits make their way in. It's a fair guess and I found the reasoning interesting and in some ways very compelling.

BRISBANE LIONS

B:
Alex Witherden, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich

HB: Grant Birchall, Darcy Gardiner, Callum Ah Chee

C: Hugh McCluggage, Lachie Neale, Mitch Robinson

HF: Lincoln McCarthy, Eric Hipwood, Dayne Zorko

F: Charlie Cameron, Daniel McStay, Allen Christensen

FOLL: Stefan Martin, Jarryd Lyons, Cam Ellis-Yolmen

I/C: Noah Answerth, Cam Rayner, Jarrod Berry, Marcus Adams

In: Callum Ah Chee, Grant Birchall, Cam Ellis-Yolmen

Out: Tom Cutler, Luke Hodge, Lewis Taylor, Nick Robertson, Ben Keays, Josh Walker, Ryan Bastinac

We say: Brisbane is set to have a new half-back line in 2020. Grant Birchall is a straight swap for former Lion Luke Hodge, given the two play similar roles. Callum Ah Chee is versatile but will likely take the spot of Ryan Lester or Zac Bailey, while youngster Noah Answerth also plays a similar role. There is a question mark over Cam Rayner’s form, but given he played every game in 2019, he is likely to be part of Chris Fagan’s best 22 again come Round 1. Cam Ellis-Yolmen is likely to battle it out with the Lions’ talented midfielders for a spot in the 22, but as a bigger-bodied midfielder he could be ready in Round 1.

If that's the way it pans out that'd mean our 7 trade targets over the last 2 years slot straight away into our starting 22. Impressive by the club's back end & coaches if they get it to all gel again like they did this year. That's a fair amount of change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back