2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess I mean in terms of a real all-rounder, he has always been respected for his nous and football knowledge as they say. But yes in defense Gardiner is more talentedly-versatile if you see what I mean. ;)
Yes indeed, his versatility knows no bound. He can play Charlie as well ;) .

Yes! The ideal world is where we look upon our best 22 players as the future depth and find new team members to challenge or replace them. Sounds a bit mercenary but I think that's how depth should be looked upon, like endless improvement. Found this write up of our next years best 22 interesting, in that all three of our new recruits make their way in. It's a fair guess and I found the reasoning interesting and in some ways very compelling.

BRISBANE LIONS

B:
Alex Witherden, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich

HB: Grant Birchall, Darcy Gardiner, Callum Ah Chee

C: Hugh McCluggage, Lachie Neale, Mitch Robinson

HF: Lincoln McCarthy, Eric Hipwood, Dayne Zorko

F: Charlie Cameron, Daniel McStay, Allen Christensen

FOLL: Stefan Martin, Jarryd Lyons, Cam Ellis-Yolmen

I/C: Noah Answerth, Cam Rayner, Jarrod Berry, Marcus Adams

In: Callum Ah Chee, Grant Birchall, Cam Ellis-Yolmen

Out: Tom Cutler, Luke Hodge, Lewis Taylor, Nick Robertson, Ben Keays, Josh Walker, Ryan Bastinac

We say: Brisbane is set to have a new half-back line in 2020. Grant Birchall is a straight swap for former Lion Luke Hodge, given the two play similar roles. Callum Ah Chee is versatile but will likely take the spot of Ryan Lester or Zac Bailey, while youngster Noah Answerth also plays a similar role. There is a question mark over Cam Rayner’s form, but given he played every game in 2019, he is likely to be part of Chris Fagan’s best 22 again come Round 1. Cam Ellis-Yolmen is likely to battle it out with the Lions’ talented midfielders for a spot in the 22, but as a bigger-bodied midfielder he could be ready in Round 1.

Would like to think that Zac Bailey will be best 22 next year.

We've had a good trade period because we've lost no one who was a regular in the best 22 ,barring understandably Hodge , and picked up 3 guys who injury free and fit would most likely get a spot at basically no extra cost to the salary cap or the draft.

If you look at the decent players who were available none would've come to us, and we had a crack at Elliot and I believe Laird and Smith for no cigars ,but we did try.

Which leaves plenty of ammunition for next time.

I would've liked to have kept Lewy and Cutler because they can both fill a hole when needed and we're banking on 3 or 4 of our NEAFL players to take the next step and be competing for a spot . Which we will need when our dream run with injuries ends and opens up opportunities for others.

I guess I mean in terms of a real all-rounder, he has always been respected for his nous and football knowledge as they say. But yes in defense Gardiner is more talentedly-versatile if you see what I mean. ;)
and his leadership, i think he is like an on field coach in the NEAFL helping the kids learn the game plan with his versatility.

The big O will be in there as well. Dont think we will be changing the 2 ruck set up we used last year.

I agree, surely Oscar is a lock. Aside from his ruck work, his ability to take a contested grab or bring the ball to ground is particularly valuable given our best tall forward is more of a Jeremy Cameron centre half forward type than a Josh Kennedy power forward

That side includes 8 defenders when we consistently named 7 in the 22 last year. The balance is not right.

Maybe Answerth moves onto a wing but I'd prefer Bailey for that role based on form to date. Bailey plays the sort of outside-inside game that Fagan seems to like from his wingers and can also play a role across half forward, which our midfielders did a fair bit of late in the year.

Bailey will be a gun has all the attributes hence why fagan pumping games into him. If we have competition for spots again next year it’s great for the club as players in form and injury list good .

Christensen is the one they got wrong. A guy who still hasn't been offered a contract won't be in the round 1 starting 22 unless we have a spate of injuries or loss of form among Bailey, Rayner, Cameron, McCarthy etc. And I would agree that the Big O has to be in there somewhere.

Bailey brings intensity which is what the bottom 6 in the Richmond side brings so opponents don’t get let off the hook when our first string midfielders need a rest.

Christensen is the one they got wrong. A guy who still hasn't been offered a contract won't be in the round 1 starting 22 .

I don't think that's necessarily right. Assuming he gets another contract, I think he's then firmly in the mix for round 1, given his age, experience and exposed form. He might not be a lock in the side (and I'd argue neither are Rayner or McCarthy) but I don't think you can say that he won't play round 1 just because the club hasn't finalised his contract status.

Could see Ah Chee taking Bailey's spot. Reckon they are competing for the same spot over summer. Not because Bailey is that bad, it is simply competition. It is a positive that we will have Ah Chee, Bailey and Answorth that have some speed and can play similar roles. Increased depth is good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know, keeping Eagles over Walker... albeit Eagles on the rookie list. Emotional decision? A 29yr old over a 26year old... I love them both but Walker can play both forward and back, more proven in the 1s.... Could it be a matter of trying not to break ones heart over the other?

This is strictly because Eagles can be stashed away as a Cat B rookie - keeps a list space free. Nothing more to it IMO.

Bastinac 400k
Taylor 400k
Walker 500k
Robertson 350k
Cutler 350k
Keays 250k

Salary would no doubt have played a massive part in the delisting and trading.
Too much cash running around in the 2's. This money will be spent elsewhere ASAP eg. The BIG O

Basti was a rookie? was walker really on $500k.

Love your thinking and agree, I fear some of the figures might be inflated though.

AFL is professional ffs .. mates, teams & fans have got nothing to do with it. Lions medical staff are getting a bit of a reputation for managing players well so that may have been a factor in Callum's preference. Anyhow, doesn't matter how much money the AFL throws at the Gold Coast .. Rugby League, Soccer, Basketball, AFL, you name it .. what sporting franchise has ever been successful in that place .. would have better luck relocating them to Charters Towers.

We need to stop giving GCFancast or what ever his name is oxygen on this thread. He must be 14 year old, honestly.

We've had a good trade period because we've lost no one who was a regular in the best 22 ,barring understandably Hodge , and picked up 3 guys who injury free and fit would most likely get a spot at basically no extra cost to the salary cap or the draft.

If you look at the decent players who were available none would've come to us, and we had a crack at Elliot and I believe Laird and Smith for no cigars ,but we did try.

Which leaves plenty of ammunition for next time.

I would've liked to have kept Lewy and Cutler because they can both fill a hole when needed and we're banking on 3 or 4 of our NEAFL players to take the next step and be competing for a spot . Which we will need when our dream run with injuries ends and opens up opportunities for others.

I agree. Upon reflection I am generally happy with our position.

We have free'd up cap space for a bumper FA period next year.

We have kept a strong draft hand this year and next.

We have acquired players on a needs basis, run off half back, big bodied support in the mid field.

The biggest talking point is delisting 5 or so established players - now the dust has settled I think this is a smart move. If you are 27 then you have presumably reached your ceiling and if that is a - 'Depth player', then there is not point keep that player around if you are an emerging side. I would rather see Payne, Wooler, Skinner etc bought in next year ahead of Walker anyway, it's time to give these Guys their shot.

Lester isn't really holding anyone out in the position he plays provides excellent leadership. Same with Bundy, he isn't really holding anyone back, maybe Cox if he plays forward.

There are now no senior players on our list that we are carrying in a sense. It's either best 22 or development players and i think this is a smart position to take.

I also wouldn't have minded keeping Taylor or Robbo, but Bundy and Lester are sensible options too.

OR we can keep having a chuckle at it occasionally. I hardly think that discussing it once every few months in the lions bigfooty board is going to give the account much oxygen.

Yeah, I just don't get it personally. I'd rather get fired up about Terry Wallace or Kane Cornes - than throwing up, rebutting and dissecting GCfancast's off kilter opinions LOL. Each to their own though, I have been known to discuss a bit of SNaKe BaKeR from time to time.

Aren't we? I don't think Lester is best 22 and he clearly isn't a development player.

If Lester gets another year I think it will be exactly because he is not best 22 nor a development player. He can slot into most roles at AFL level if needed and has enough experience to cope, while at the same time he can lead the NEAFL players when at that level. With Basti, Taylor and Keays gone it wouldn’t hurt to keep a little experience in the NEAFL still to help guide the younger players. Archie, Allison, Matho, Eagles and Lester would represent the bulk of our experience and physical maturity at NEAFL level now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back