2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it possible to have too many captains?
Sydney say a definite no. GWS, GC, Carlton, Adelaide, Melbourne, Port also all say no.

Only one of those teams made finals... (All other teams had one captain heading into the 2019 season)

I'm in the one strong captain camp myself. But I think you need strong leadership all over the ground. I think those guys you mention would all be good followers as well.

Got through my first two picks in the BF draft without a bid on Henry, I didn't do anything left field though...

Pick 7 - Dylan Stephens

Dylan Stephens - 183cm, 69kg midfielder from Norwood, SA

I've had Dylan Stephens as my #3 for the entire year, I personally have no doubt he's the next best midfielder in the draft after the consensus top two in Rowell and Anderson. I think he's a very good chance to go at Adelaide's first round pick come the real thing, and I would certainly hope he doesn't make it past both of Fremantle's first round picks.

I know some people were left disappointed after his U18 Championships, which still baffles me to be honest. He was consistently one of SA's best, and was a deserving All Australian selection. His final game against the Allies was tremendous, and I think if he played a more inside role across all four games then he'd have been in the MVP mix. One of the knocks I hear people say is that he's too outside to be such an early pick, but it's just the role he's been forced to play this year. SA had a heap of decent inside midfielders, but nobody good enough to play on the outside - so team balance forces Stephens to the outside. And playing in the seniors all season for Norwood means he isn't going to consistently be in at the centre bounces. But he had 9 clearances against the Allies, and in his two reserves games for Norwood this year he had 17 clearances. He can play inside.

As an outside midfielder, he's the best in the draft and a complete prospect in my opinion. He tested near on elite for his endurance, and paired that with a 2.97 in the 20m sprint and an 8.24 agility - both top 10 results. And perhaps unlike some other draft prospects, he uses that athletic ability in his defensive game as well as on the attack. And with his footskills, his forwards will be more than happy with him delivering it to them on the lead.

If my write up is too positive it's because I genuinely think he is an elite prospect. The usual comparisons are Andrew Gaff, Lachie Whitfield and Josh Kelly. And even though the first one is a dirty sniper, it's pretty good company to be in. Body side and strength is the only real area that would hold Stephens back at the moment, but that's similar to how Kelly started. And within a couple of seasons, he'd made the transition into a complete balanced midfielder.

For Fremantle, there's no real question about the list fit. With Brad Hil gone, Stephens comes straight in and would be as good a replacement as possible. And I personally think is an upgrade on Ed Langdon.

Pick 10 - Deven Robertson

Deven Robertson - 184cm, 81kg midfielder from Perth, WA

I considered a few others here - Finn Maginness, Will Gould, Brodie Kemp. But I thought I would go local, keep it fairly realistic and do what Fremantle should do. And that's draft smart. Like Andrew Brayshaw was a couple of years ago, Deven Robertson looks to be about as safe a prospect as you can get. Maybe he's not as flashy as others, maybe he won't win the awards that others will. But he'll be a 200 game player. He brings toughness and leadership, and that's something the good teams have lots of.

His form at the Championships really put his name on the map, winning the Larke Medal and being named the All Australian captain. But he's not really a bolter as such. He was All Australian and the WA MVP at the U16 Champs in 2017, and showed off his contested game as an underager last year too. He definitely took it to a new level this year though, averaging 30 touches and 7 tackles a game.

Robertson certainly isn't a complete prospect, he's been largely one dimensional as a player so far as a junior. That's often the case when you're so good in one role, but his versatility is lacking and he barely took a shot on goal all year. Even becoming a small scoreboard threat will take his game to a new level. And in terms of his kicking, I'd say it's fine for his position. But being that truly damaging midfielder is something he'll no doubt be working on.

But inside midfielders need that point of difference to be successful, and Robertson has that in his athleticism. His previous testing results would have been top 10 in the agility, 20m sprint and vertical jump at the Combine. His work by hand, and just his general courage and leadership are the other areas which set him apart.

A few Fremantle posters have questioned how the likes of Brayshaw, Robertson and Luke Valente from last year can all fit in the one midfield. But if they're all good enough, you make room and it should be all about competition for spots. I was a bit worried a bid might come before this pick, but it's a dream scenario in the end and a first round of Dylan Stephens, Deven Robertson and Liam Henry is as good as you could hope for.

Carlton need some inside mid players
Melbourne need some outside mid players

Best inside mids this year: Green, Anderson, Robertson, McGuiness, C Stephens

Best outside mids this year: Rowell, Stephens, Mead, Sharp maybe but more HBF.
Is Henry a forward or a mid? As a mid, is he inside or outside?

Got through my first two picks in the BF draft without a bid on Henry, I didn't do anything left field though...

Pick 7 - Dylan Stephens

Pick 10 - Deven Robertson
Do you have a live trade move up your sleave Chris25, or are you happy to just wait an see where a Henry bid comes?

I’m getting cramps in my fingers and toes as I cross them waiting for this to happen

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Same, very much the duo I hope we get at 7 and 10.

If we draft Robertson we have Brayshaw as potential future captain, Valente who led the state side (and vice of AA), Robertson who led the state side. Lots of leaders and strong characters

Is it possible to have too many captains?
Personally don’t see having many strong leaders and characters in the squad as a bad thing. Would be more than happy with say Brayshaw as captain with Valente and Robertson as his vice-captains ready to step up if/when required

Do you have a live trade move up your sleave Chris25, or are you happy to just wait an see where a Henry bid comes?

There's no trading in this draft. But if there was, the longer it goes without a bid the more I'd consider it, moving up for either Gould or Taylor.

Is Henry a forward or a mid? As a mid, is he inside or outside?

at the moment as a draftee he would be outside mid/forward. But he has shown exceptional qualities with some inside work in the -18's. But until he gets more body no inside footy in AFL. One whack in the early stages playing inside and we would lose all of what he could be imop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs mock draft update: got Stephens and Henry, next pick is 25. Elijah Taylor went early. What are some needs that need filling?
Speed, run, kicking mainly. Maybe a ruck with your last pick

Dogs mock draft update: got Stephens and Henry, next pick is 25. Elijah Taylor went early. What are some needs that need filling?
That is my prediction. We will have to make a decision Between Stephens and Robertson at 7, then Melbourne will bid on Henry at 8 forcing us to use pick 10. However I don’t see 22 pushing back too far - maybe 23. After the Henry bid selection it gets tricky as I think we’ll get involved in live trading. To look at pushing up 22/23 and our pick in the 50’s.

That is my prediction. We will have to make a decision Between Stephens and Robertson at 7, then Melbourne will bid on Henry at 8 forcing us to use pick 10. However I don’t see 22 pushing back too far - maybe 23. After the Henry bid selection it gets tricky as I think we’ll get involved in live trading. To look at pushing up 22/23 and our pick in the 50’s.

Yeah, that happened in our mock. Sharp is now off the table, so I’m leaning towards Rivers for the next pick if he doesn’t get grabbed in the meantime.

Darcy will be fine, get a full preseason into him. Last year he missed most of preseason due to injury. People should remember the game against Port when he tore Lycett & Ryder apart and won us the game.
Darcy didnt miss much last preseason. A few weeks. Some who work hard like Logue come back fitter after long injuries. With all the new equipment there should be no excuses even with injuries to keep fitness. Even with leg injuries there is plenty of ways to stay fiit. Darcy also came to preseason in woeful shape and was one of the last in the first 2km. Yep, I agree he played well in the second half against Ryder and Lycett, but that's pretty much my point. Some players on here get attacked every time they have a bad game. Sean played well for a half and a bit against Port in one of the 11 afl games he played last season and people praise him. Darcy is miles off being an effective afl ruckman. THere would be few ruckman currently on an afl list who are worse in terms of work around the ground in open play, hence his wafl possession stats. I really hope he comes good and people can tell me how wrong I was on here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back