2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I'm actually pretty new to following footy, and this is the first draft I'd followed. I was concerned that if I'd kept the two top picks there'd be none left for the rest of the draft, especially because we're not trading future picks outside of round 1. Would definitely have done things differently if I had it over.

Bianco is the player I have in mind but I'll look into Taheney too.
We are needing x-factor and A-grader potential, which you are most likely to find in the top 10, otherwise take a risk with your later picks.

Probably not.

He's a good ruckman but I'm not sure he's ever been in the top 2-3 in the comp.

That and rucks don't seem to win you games/premierships anyway.

Is there one player though that would win you a flag though.

You could say full forwards are overrated because the Giants haven't won a flag with Jeremy Cameron.

Nic Nat without injuries is easily worth a top 10 pick.

You could say full forwards are overrated because the Giants haven't won a flag with Jeremy Cameron.

On second thoughts without injuries he’s top ten in the draft most years.

I think you’d want to be pretty sure a ruck would be at least as good as he is to go top ten. I’m not sure anyone’s actually been that sure since. There probably hasn’t been another ruck taken in the top 10 who were actually top 10 in their draft class years on for about 20 years.

Yep. This always gets me when people talk about rucks. Is Dangerfield or Fyfe no good because they haven't won flags? Likewise when they talk about teams losing despite the ruck getting 40-50 hitouts as evidence or rucks being overrated, while you never hear that argument about midfielders being overrated when say Mitchell or Neale dominate and their team loses. It's not basketball.

What Liam said in the article (quoted below) would be something to ponder for any clubs outside of WA prior to risking a top pick bid:

“I like hunting and fishing. I go home a lot,” he said.

“(I like to go) camping and trying to connect with the land and all that. I do a bit of art as well.”

What Liam said in the article (quoted below) would be something to ponder for any clubs outside of WA prior to risking a top pick bid:

“(I like to go) camping and trying to connect with the land and all that. I do a bit of art as well.”
I have heard he also decapitates kookaburras. Other clubs... you have been warned :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(Lachlan) Ash is the nephew of ex-Demon and former Fremantle coach Chris Connolly – a man who’s played a significant role in Ash’s footy development to date, but none whatsoever on his AFL team of choice.

Likely top-10 prospect Luke Jackson is a Fremantle supporter – but primarily due to circumstances beyond his control.

Jackson was originally an Eagles fan growing up but could never secure Perth-based West Coast memberships as they’re in such high demand. It led to the almost blasphemous switch.

“It’s a weird story,” he tells foxfooty.com.au with a laugh. “We couldn’t get an Eagles membership because they always sell out and Freo’s was always left.”

Jackson, however, remains fiercely loyal to star Eagles ruckman Nic Naitanui, who he idolises.

Fellow WA prospect Trent Rivers is an Eagles fan, but insists he’s “not as mad as my dad”. Rivers loves Mark LeCras – a lot.

“When you’re a bit older and when you get into the system, I kind of don’t barrack for anyone really, it’s more just barracking for players and positions,” Geelong Falcons prospect Cooper Stephens tells foxfooty.com.au. “Nat Fyfe is the one I enjoy watching the most, Joel Selwood and Shaun Burgoyne I’ve watched a lot.”

South Australian high-flyer Kysaiah Pickett says he likes “watching players, especially the indigenous boys”. Asked to name his top three indigenous players, Pickett tells foxfooty.com.au: “My favourite is Cyril Rioli then Andrew Krakouer and Willie Rioli. I love watching the small forward indigenous boys, they bring a lot of magic to the table.”

Dylan Stephens – Carlton supporter: “I’m a Victorian boy, so everyone in my family is a Carlton supporter, so I haven’t had a decision growing up.”

Liam Henry – Hawthorn: “Growing up I loved watching Cyril as a player. I probably based my game around him in offence and defence work. I watched him and tried to base my game off stuff he did.”

Yeah. that didn't register with me when I read it. Good pick-up.

One more from the Dogs mock. Got D Stephens, Henry, and Bianco so far. If Cameron Taheny slides the next few picks he's my next one without a doubt. If he doesn't, is a mid, forward, or defender your biggest need?
Medium forwards for mine, so Taheny fits well. Someone like Sharman interests me as an over-sized medium forward (has the pace, and isn't really KPP). Regarding defenders, we do have some NGA players next year who play HBF, so I'd hold off. With the mix you already have I would consider an athletic, mobile ruck if one is good value (doubt other posters agree).

One more from the Dogs mock. Got D Stephens, Henry, and Bianco so far. If Cameron Taheny slides the next few picks he's my next one without a doubt. If he doesn't, is a mid, forward, or defender your biggest need?
With those picks already, I wouldnt mind midfield depth (O'Neill) or a general forward like Georgiades but Taheny also works.

edit: if this is pick 22 we are talking about I'd go the best available inside mid or general forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back