2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get why Taheny isn't being rated higher? He is a beautiful kick of the football. Looks effortless for him to kick 50+. Seems to have great forward craft also - leads really well, strong in the air, good hands. A real medium forward - not a mid playing forward because there is no room in the middle. Looks pretty fast (in a straight line) and seems unstoppable on the lead. Maybe needs to work on his endurance and agility and his vertical leap test didn't look great but they are all things you can refine in a pro environment. Speed is the one I think is the hardest to create and he already has that.

Would not be upset at all if he ended up on our list. Funny if we drafted both Stephens and him. So many Norwood players on our list!

If there is one closer to today. Not sure how long those two boys are going to take.
Yeah, but surely Hughes, Duman and Watson provide that cover for us already (not to mention the various mids who can slot back there when required). Probably in that part of the draft you end up just looking for someone who seems to have enough traits that they could fit in.

Yeah, but surely Hughes, Duman and Watson provide that cover for us already (not to mention the various mids who can slot back there when required). Probably in that part of the draft you end up just looking for someone who seems to have enough traits that they could fit in.
Ok. I won't ask for that again:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely not Pickett at those picks? I know the talk is that after the top 12 picks it drops a bit, but I see decent options being available at our (theoretical) pick 22. I'm not having a shot at Pickett, but I'm not seeing the value.
I picked him at 33 for the Hawks and I thought I was reaching a little bit there...

Surely not Pickett at those picks? I know the talk is that after the top 12 picks it drops a bit, but I see decent options being available at our (theoretical) pick 22. I'm not having a shot at Pickett, but I'm not seeing the value.
I'm not 100% sure how it works but a club must have said he is a chance to get taken first round IF he has been invited to the draft day one. The little I saw of him didn't scream round one, but small forwards are the rage now.

I'm not 100% sure how it works but a club must have said he is a chance to get taken first round IF he has been invited to the draft day one. The little I saw of him didn't scream round one, but small forwards are the rage now.
They sure are. In this first round Flanders, Serong, Henry, Pickett and Weightman all have small forward credentials, with the first 4 projecting into a midfield role as they develop.

Injured WA draft hopefuls Riley Garcia, Mitch Georgiades and Jake Pasini will get another chance to impress AFL recruiters.

The trio are among 13 players across the country to undergo the extra medical testing next Friday as clubs get closer to their final decisions on who to draft later this month.

Garcia suffered a heartbreaking ACL rupture in WA’s thrilling national under-18 championship win over Vic Country at Marvel Stadium in July.

A devastated Riley Garcia is taken from Marvel Stadium on the medicab.
A devastated Riley Garcia is taken from Marvel Stadium on the medicab. Credit: AFL Photos
Athletic Subiaco forward Georgiades stunned doctors when his badly corked quad took nearly 12 months to get right.

And 18-year-old Pasini missed the national draft combine because of his post-season shoulder surgery.

“I made the decision not to get surgery during the season to help my draft chances and it kept popping out ... just light dislocations,” Pasini said.

“I had a few chats with the physio and a few AFL clubs and they recommended I get the surgery done now so I can get stuck into pre-season training as soon as possible.”

Potential top-10 draft pick Brodie Kemp leads the list of 13 to undergo further testing.

The Bendigo product is four months into his recovery from an ACL tear, but Carlton, Melbourne and Sydney are reportedly still keen on the versatile 192cm teen.

Stephen Silvagni is about to complete his last draft search as Carlton list manager, according to 7NEWS.

Reporter Tom Browne says the club’s favourite son will step down from his role before the end of the year.

“There’s no bigger name at Carlton than Stephen Silvagni,” Browne said.

“Silvagni has been the architect of their rebuild. He’s done all the hard yards.”

Browne described the decision to step down as “brewing for some time”.

“Silvagni and the new CEO Cain Liddle haven’t particularly gelled,” Browne reported.

“Recruiting Eddie Betts, going for Brandon Ellis weren’t main priorities of Silvagni.”

Browne said Liddle had been “making his own appointments and reshaping the footy department”.

Silvagni was appointed to the role of Carlton list manager in December 2014.

7NEWS reports Sydney list boss Kinnear Beatson had been informally approached to replace Silvagni.

The news comes as Betts began his second stint at Carlton today, returning to the training track after being traded from Adelaide.

Just on Kozzie Pickett, on pure talent he's easily top 5-10 in the draft. He just hasn't developed the consistency to put it all together yet. But with Port's #18 likely to drop 2 or 3 spots with bids, he has to be in the mix. He could play straight away in a finals side. Might only get 8-10 touches, but could be a game changer and lay 5+ tackles.

Speed and forward pressure is the trend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back