2020 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just certain things. Alot of people here don't follow Lions or Suns so their crowd numbers aren't always reflective of the actual AFL fan base, alot of kids do though so the future is going to be good for them. The Lions do have a huge sleeping supporter base as last year showed. There are alot of ex pats and alot of people who chose teams back in the 70s and 80s when the VFL was beamed live into QLD. The local comps here are thriving, there are teams everywhere and several divisions. Southport Sharks are the richest club outside of the AFL apparently. According to a friend who used to run AFL juniors. The participation rate in QLD is actually higher in Aussie Rules over NRL. Auskick does massive things here.

Even personal experience. I would say at least half of my friend base here follows AFL over NRL. And the ones that do follow AFL properly follow it. Attend games, make trips interstate, some buy memberships. The NRL fans just stick to TV viewing. There's some great designated football pubs here which generally pull good crowds for TV games. Pineapple & Story Bridge to name a couple.

FTA viewing numbers are not a great indicator either, as QLD still has games in SD on FTA, if you can handle that in 2020 good luck to your eyes. Most have KAYO now or still Foxtel.

Origin time is massive for NRL there is no doubt there. But for the rest of the year the AFL is very much competitive. The papers and news do prefer to pump the broncos. But that's just standard for QLD.

All in all, I'm a Victorian and I travel to watch the blues 6-8 times a year in Melbourne. For the rest of that time I find plenty of footy interest here to keep me satisfied. Ill happily go watch the lions or suns just as a neutral.

this historical footnote may interest you

1876-77

The Darling Downs footballers inaugurated the first Australian Rules football association in Australia − the Toowoomba Football Association − twelve months before the commencement of associations in South Australia (South Australian Football Association – SAFA), and Victoria (Victorian Football Association – VFA).

from the book

619k metro last night. Not quite double the NRL 338k ...

Should be another million

Edit: only 978k due to poor Foxtel and regional. Still solid given one-sided second half

Last edited:
619k metro last night. Not quite double the NRL 338k ...

Should be another million

Edit: only 978k due to poor Foxtel and regional. Still solid given one-sided second half
Would be over 1 million if kayo is include you would think!Still another thrashing for the NRL.

Its quite interesting motor mouth V'Landys has gone very quiet!

Sunday AFl rated
Blues/Port (delayed on FTA) - 73k on 7 (Adelaide only), 225k on Fox
Hawks/Dees - 340k on 7 (Melb/Per only - 285k in Melb), 229k Fox (132k in Melb)
Combined FTA regionals of 164k
Total FTA on 7 - 504k

Western Derby
263k on 7 (metro only, may have pushed 300k total in WA), 158k on Fox (48k in Perth)

Data: Oztam

On Foxtel yesterday the AFL had 3 of the top 4 x shows for a total of 612,000 ( 2 x games 454,000) to the 2 x NRL matches at 352,000 another thumping!

Interestingly the 2 non Victorian matches on Sat on Fox did alright - Sydney v GC 205,000 and the Brisbane v GWS had a solid 148,000

Last edited:
On Foxtel yesterday the AFL had 3 of the top 4 x shows for a total of 612,000 ( 2 x games 454,000) to the 2 x NRL matches at 352,000 another thumping!

Interestingly the 2 non Victorian matches on Sat on Fox did alright - Sydney v GC 205,000 and the Brisbane v GWS had a solid 148,000

Perth metro for the derby just about rated the same as the entire NRL metro yesterday so theres that

205k for Sydney vs Suns was fantastic, mind you, really good game of footy I thought, fantastic seeing the Suns come along after their travails.

Crowd figures available?

Geelong vs Collingwood - 22,077
Essendon vs Western Bulldogs - 4,949
GWS Giants vs Brisbane - 3,168
Sydney vs Gold Coast - unknown
Richmond vs North Melbourne - 4,337
Carlton vs Port Adelaide - 3,510
Hawthorn vs Melbourne - unknown
Fremantle vs West Coast - 25,306

Gabba staff told me they only sold 4k tickets to Carlton v Port adelaide which was sold out the day it went on sale. Would have easily got 8k if they sold that many seats I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a question about Kayo ratings The_Wookie, are they ever released anywhere online? Do they count them towards foxfooty numbers or are they only announced for little press release pieces at the end of the season?

Just a question about Kayo ratings The_Wookie, are they ever released anywhere online? Do they count them towards foxfooty numbers or are they only announced for little press release pieces at the end of the season?

We've had a few articles that mention the figures. They arent counted towards the fox figures.

Have you cobbled together the round figures yet, The_Wookie ?

The AFL recorded its second highest rating weekend for the season to date in Round 7, with 5.1 million viewers tuning in, taking the league to almost 34 million viewers for the season on Seven and Foxtel at an average of 548,000 viewers per game, up 4% on the same time last season, with a game in hand.

The highest rating game of the round for the AFL on both Seven and Foxfooty was the Thursday night clash between Geelong and Collingwood which totaled in at 1.137m. This is the 7th game this season to pass the million audience mark. 897,000 watched on Seven and 7mate nationally, with 240,000 people watched across the nation on Foxtel.

In Perth, the Western Derby had its third highest audience in a decade with 262,000 people switching on, with plenty more in the WA regional zones.

The Seven Network would be pleased with Metro ratings up 13% to an average of 314,000 and national ratings up 10.7% to 414,000 compared to the same time last year. There have been increased audiences in Sydney (+6.5%), Melbourne (+13.4%) and Brisbane (+23.6%) while ratings in Adelaide are well down (-19%) and in Perth as well (-9.9%).

Foxtel ratings are up slightly, up 2.61% to an average of 187,000 per game. Foxtel ratings account for 34% of the AFLs ratings total in 2020.

An increase in the number of prime time Thursday night matches, less timeslot clashes, shorter games, Brisbane performing well and Victorians being locked in are all likely to have played a part in the ratings this season.

for anyone who needs remindingin 2019 -

AFL fans are watching an average of 3.5 hours each week, with some regular season games reaching over 100,000 users including the West Coast v Richmond clash on 18 August watched by 130,000 users.

People wanting to watch the match ad-free during play, I assume.

I'm pretty sure you get the same ads as 7 on kayo (and foxtel for the matter)

So it is people who are opting to stream....perhaps it is all those people who claim not to have a tv connection?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back