2020 AFL fixture released

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a home game.

It is in Tassie because they entered an AGREEMENT which gives them $$$.

It should be treated as a home game in terms of determining fixture difficulty.

Ah yes, I'm quite aware of the why and that it should be determined as a home game (which it is) both of which are irrelevant to my question. So how do they get there? Or do HQ ship the whole ground and cheap game tickets and free boat rides for the Tas locals?:think:

If I were a betting man I'd put my measlies on door number one.

Funny we have a game in Tasmania too. Amazing how the longest roadtrips get given to the teams we the largest travel burdens already.

But lets hear some more about how important competitive integrity is.
There is barely any difference between going to Melbourne or Launceston from Perth

Is there a Virgin direct flight? If not there is quite a bit of difference.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Virgin started a direct service last year.

Off memory virgin regardless did a direct flight for the footy teams out of perth, but the Freo peeps may be able to confirm if that still occurs

"same venue as your home ground, but...." LOL

The guernsey's are different, and you hear a different sound when a goal is kicked...

A game on your home ground is as good as a home game. Guernsey is irrelevant. Crowd doesn't really play a significant role in a game between two teams from the same town.
If two footy ground tenants are playing against each other on said ground and it isn’t really an away game for the away-listed team, then it technically wouldn’t be a home game for the home-listed team either. The home team does not have a home ground advantage just like the away team does not have a ground disadvantage.

It would be a neutral game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 2 ?

Thursday, March 26
Collingwood vs. Richmond (MCG - 7.20pm AEDT)

Friday, March 27
Sydney Swans vs. Essendon (SCG - 7.50pm AEDT)

Saturday, March 28
Geelong Cats vs. Western Bulldogs (GMHBA Stadium - 1.45pm AEDT)
Carlton vs. Gold Coast SUNS (Marvel Stadium - 4.35pm AEDT)
Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne (The Gabba - 6.25pm AEST)
Port Adelaide vs. Adelaide Crows (Adelaide Oval - 7.10pm ACDT)

Sunday, March 29
St Kilda vs. West Coast Eagles (Marvel Stadium - 1.10pm AEDT)
Melbourne vs. Hawthorn (MCG - 3.20pm AEDT)
Fremantle vs. GWS GIANTS (Optus Stadium - 3.20pm AWST)
I hope not. I don't mind the occasional Thursday, but two Thursdays in a row forces me to have to chose between the Carlton game or the Collingwood game.

Virgin started a direct service last year.

Off memory virgin regardless did a direct flight for the footy teams out of perth, but the Freo peeps may be able to confirm if that still occurs

There was direct flights Perth to Hobart started last year by virgin but I don’t think there is direct flight to Launceston ex Perth with them.

If two footy ground tenants are playing against each other on said ground and it isn’t really an away game for the away-listed team, then it technically wouldn’t be a home game for the home-listed team either. The home team does not have a home ground advantage just like the away team does not have a ground disadvantage.

It would be a neutral game.

I agree with this.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ah yes, I'm quite aware of the why and that it should be determined as a home game (which it is) both of which are irrelevant to my question. So how do they get there? Or do HQ ship the whole ground and cheap game tickets and free boat rides for the Tas locals?:think:

If I were a betting man I'd put my measlies on door number one.

Your question was irrelevant to the post you originally quoted, because you chose to interpret it literally. From my understanding the poster was meaning you shouldn’t consider travelling to a home game as part of your travel.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There was direct flights Perth to Hobart started last year by virgin but I don’t think there is direct flight to Launceston ex Perth with them.

Sorry for the mix up

As said in my second part though, I'm pretty sure virgin agreed to direct flights for the teams to Tassie in their deal with the afl

Edit

This is an old article, but confirms virgin were putting special direct flight in for the AFL game weekends only

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back