News 2020 AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

When you are a terrible performing team year in, year out, that's what you get

The AFL has a responsibility to look after every team that is part of its comp. and help it to try and get better gate receipts and sponsorship. This is a big part of getting clubs to stand alone financially. The only way to do that is fair and equal fixture. 18 Teams should all have an equal share of Friday, Thursday night, Saturday night/day and Sunday games. For instance, there is no reason why Adelaide v Port Adelaide can’t be on FTA on a Friday night game or Brisbane v Gold Coast on Thursday night. Why should it be the successful or the up and coming clubs only?

Collingwood have received these handouts for decades and surely any logical person can see the incompetences in the fixture or even the manipulation towards some teams. For instance a team like Collingwood will never receive a fixture Carlton has received!

You mean 34
We can't play ourselves 4 times

I know us Carlton supporters have been going through some tough times...

... But surely we remember that the AFL still has finals every year....

I think a rolling fixture is fair...so 24 rounds..every team plays 4 times against each other over a three years..you add an extra bye for one of the three years...good for sponsers and afl, players will play an extra 2 games but get a pay rise.

This fixture stinks like a thousand monkey assholes.

So our home games are: Ess, Coll, GWS, Cats, Lions and Eagles (All top 8)

Our away games are: Haw, PA, Adel, Frem, GCS and Melbourne (All bottom 8)
I reckon our away games look alright. Hawthorn & Melbourne games are played in Melbourne, we beat Freo in Perth this year, we should have beaten the Suns at Carrara (stand on the goal line McG) & Adelaide are an unknown quantity at this stage. The biggest challenge will be against the Power (am I doing this right Gil?)

I reckon our away games look alright. Hawthorn & Melbourne games are played in Melbourne, we beat Freo in Perth this year, we should have beaten the Suns at Carrara (stand on the goal line McG) & Adelaide are an unknown quantity at this stage. The biggest challenge will be against the Power (am I doing this right Gil?)

Our season will depend on it.

Scrap preseason matches, play each team twice - home and away - plus finals.

The fairest system around........and 38 weeks of footy!

You're more welcome...
Or alternatively close up shop on GCS & maybe Adelaide
:p and get back to 16 clubs, 34 weeks all up

Play 17 rounds plus 2 traditional rival rounds (Blues vs. Pies and Dons?)
Firstly all teams need to play each other in the first 17 rounds. Currently first incorrect manipulation.
Secondly, after 17 rounds, all top 8 teams play bottom 8 teams starting from top to bottom, ie. top team plays last, second last, third last, etc. over next 5. This also rewards top sides.

Firstly all teams need to play each other in the first 17 rounds. Currently first incorrect manipulation.
Secondly, after 17 rounds, all top 8 teams play bottom 8 teams starting from top to bottom, ie. top team plays last, second last, third last, etc. over next 5. This also rewards top sides.
This reminds me a bit like the McIntyre finals system that we used to use and Rugby League still do. Would prefer to see close games rather than reward top teams. Parramatta defeated Broncos in a final this year 58 to 0. Would be good to watch footy for 9 months of the year but I would adjust to 19 rounds fairly easily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suns fixture rated harder.

Don't care - have to beat the teams above you to move up the ladder. Started in 2019 with some grinding wins. Step up again 2020. Always hard work demanded.

Go baggers *guttural tone*

No Friday night lights for the Blues is absolute BS !
The AFL are looking in the rear view mirror to 2018. At that time losing Gibbs and then Docherty was a crippling blow to a youthful list. This time two full years further into the 'rebuild' the situation is completely different. The Blues are on the threshold of being one of the most exciting and watchable teams in the competition....If Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney could be deemed worthy of multiple Friday night games, then Carlton deserved at least two.
When the Blues begin their surge in 2020 the AFL will learn the hard way that it costs to be behind the curve.

No Friday night lights for the Blues is absolute BS !
The AFL are looking in the rear view mirror to 2018. At that time losing Gibbs and then Docherty was a crippling blow to a youthful list. This time two full years further into the 'rebuild' the situation is completely different. The Blues are on the threshold of being one of the most exciting and watchable teams in the competition....If Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney could be deemed worthy of multiple Friday night games, then Carlton deserved at least two.
When the Blues begin their surge in 2020 the AFL will learn the hard way that it costs to be behind the curve.
I get shivers when I think about our recent Friday night efforts. A bit more for us to prove before we get back there. It will come though. Patience young incaciawin.

As you would expect when they have won two flags in three years and have over 100k in membets.
no.........no I did not expect that.............I did not expect that regardless of how many membets they had.......and can I say I saw this coming, gaming companies infiltrating our very language.........that I expected........

Feel free to put this in the correct thread, thought I'd marry up our AFL and VFL seasons playing on the same weekend to get a clearer idea with how lined up with one another...

RD1-AFL vs RICH (A) MCG THUR 19MAR 7.25pm
RD2-AFL vs WBD (H) MARV SAT 28MAR 4.35pm

RD3-AFL vs ESS (H) MCG THUR 2APR 7.25pm
RD1- VFL vs ESS (H) PCO SAT 4APR 1.00pm

RD4-AFL vs SYD (A) SCG SUN 12APR 1.10pm
RD2-VFL vs WERR (A) AAO FRI 10APR 7.25pm

RD5-AFL vs HAW (A) MARV SUN 19APR 3.20pm
RD3-VFL vs BOX (A) MARV SUN 19APR 12.00pm

RD6-AFL vs NTH (H) MCG SUN 26APR 3.20pm
RD4-VFL vs NTH (H) IKON SAT 25APR 2.00pm

RD7-AFL vs PORT (A) A.O SAT 2MAY 4.05pm
RD5-VFL vs GEE (A) GMBH SUN 3MAY 1.00pm

RD8-AFL vs STK (A) MARV SAT 9MAY 7.25pm
RD6-VFL BYE

RD9-AFL vs COLL (H) MCG SUN 17MAY 1.10pm
RD7-VFL vs COLL ((H) PCO SAT 16MAY 1.00pm

RD10-AFL vs ADEL (A) A.O SAT 23MAY 4.05pm
RD8-VFL vs CASEY (H) IKON SAT 23MAY 2.00pm

RD11-AFL vs WBD (A) MARV SAT 30MAY 7.25
RD9-VFL vs WBD (A) MARV SAT 30MAY 4.05pm

RD12-AFL vs GWS (H) MARV SAT 6JUNE 7.25pm
RD10-VFL vs PORT (A) ETU SAT 6JUNE 2.00pm

RD13-AFL vs BYE
RD11-VFL vs BYE

RD14-AFL vs FREM (A) OPTUS SAT 20JUNE 2.35pm
RD12-VFL vs COB (A) HR SAT 20 JUNE 2.00pm

RD15-AFL vs GEE (H) MARV SAT 27JUNE 4.35pm
RD13-VFL vs WERR ((H) IKON 27JUNE 2.00pm

RD16-AFL vs GCS (A) METR SUN 5JULY 1.10pm
RD14-VFL vs GEE (H) IKON SAT 4JULY 2.00pm

RD17-AFL vs SYD (H) MARV SUN 12JULY 3.20pm
RD15-VFL vs BOX (H) IKON SAT 11JULY

RD18-AFL vs BRIS (H) MARV SUN 19JULY 3.20pm
RD16-VFL vs WILL(A) SS SUN 19JULY

RD19-AFL vs WCE (H) MCG SAT 25JULY 1.45pm
RD17-VFL vs FRAN (A) SS SUN 25JULY

RD20-AFL vs NTH (A) MARV SUN 2AUG 1.10pm
RD18-VFL vs BYE

RD21-AFL vs RICH (H) MCG SUN 9AUG 1.10pm
RD19-VFL vs RICH (H) PCO SAT 8AUG

RD22-AFL vs MELB (A) MCG SAT 15AUG 1.45pm
RD20-VFL vs CASEY (A) CASEY SUN 16AUG

RD23-AFL vs STK (H) MARVEL
RD21-VFL vs SAND (H) PCO SAT 22AUG

If you look at the fixture from the point of view of where we have been at for the last half a dozen years it doesn't look great, but surely we are on the verge of being able to look at games with the mindset that we can be competitive most of the time.

One thing is for certain, you are not going to win a premiership solely on the back of scoring what might be considered a soft fixture. You may well make the 8 e.g. the Dopers, or even the Top 4 e.g. Brisbane, Melbourne, Hawthorn, but the team which wins the premiership is generally a team which can look at every game as being winnable, totally disregarding the degree of difficulty of their fixture.

Despite not significantly improving our list during the trade period, the advantage we have over most teams is the potential for improvement from within on the basis of having a number of quality younger players all starting to push past the 50 game mark. This will inevitably lead to greater consistency of performance across the majority of our best 22 (however this may look next season) & should make the fixture less of a factor.

On a side note, I was hoping to get down to Melbourne at the end of March next year for a few days & take in a game. With us scheduled to play the Doggies in Round 2 & then backing up against the Dopers 5 days later, both home games, it would seem logical to stay an extra few days & take in the Thursday night game as well.
your tree awaits.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back