Preview 2020 AFL National Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be no 2020 season and using anything but the 2019 ladder for the draft (if there is one) would be beyond stupidity so I look forward to what "innovative" system the AFL comes up with to benefit big clubs, northern expansion teams and the MFC.

There will be no 2020 season and using anything but the 2019 ladder for the draft (if there is one) would be beyond stupidity so I look forward to what "innovative" system the AFL comes up with to benefit big clubs, northern expansion teams and the MFC.

Yes, but imagine MFC winning the bottom 4 lottery.

Keep it at 18. I hate all this opportunistic s**t to change things that don't need changing that is popping up with the coronavirus. At this rate the game and league will be unrecognisable.

This is the one change that would help everyone imo.

Clubs will recruit much more accurately out of a 20yo pool, a vast majority don't uproot their lives and prospects chasing dreams that will never come true.

You'll get more Ben Browns and less Daniel Gorringes.

The things I’d do to have this kid in our colours .... I hate that the dogs are getting him. Here’s hoping they take Academy players off teams knowing this years draft is full of unknowns: it’s not fair they have an advantage in a year that there’s no under 18s footy.

Crazy for a player his size.. 466EA074-9528-4078-9257-041AF289F87F.jpeg

Attachments

• 668D7C41-1363-44F0-BFE8-C0BB0CD45D51.jpeg
    668D7C41-1363-44F0-BFE8-C0BB0CD45D51.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
This is the one change that would help everyone imo.

Clubs will recruit much more accurately out of a 20yo pool, a vast majority don't uproot their lives and prospects chasing dreams that will never come true.

You'll get more Ben Browns and less Daniel Gorringes.
I think it could be a good change but I don't see why it needs to be done now. Footy that fans and meddling AFL house types alike have gone into off-season-on-steroids mode trying to restructure everything for a lack of things to do.

At this rate footy in 2021 will have a draft lottery with over 19s available, 35 man lists, 16 minute quarters, 14 clubs and players will be driving Uber to the stadium to make up their wages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The things I’d do to have this kid in our colours .... I hate that the dogs are getting him. Here’s hoping they take Academy players off teams knowing this years draft is full of unknowns: it’s not fair they have an advantage in a year that there’s no under 18s footy.

Crazy for a player his size..View attachment 851032

I'm a fan too.

But at the corresponding stage Jesse Hogan was Wayne Carey and Tony Lockett's lovechild.

There's a lot that needs to happen between promising junior star and bona fide AFL gun.

I'm a fan too.

But at the corresponding stage Jesse Hogan was Wayne Carey and Tony Lockett's lovechild.

There's a lot that needs to happen between promising junior star and bona fide AFL gun.

The dogs will turn him in to an ineffective 38 stat a game crab anyway.

I actually don't think this is an issue for us, as long as we are using the 2019 ladder to base the draft order.

I think it's far more likely that Melbourne 2020 >>> Melbourne 2019.

If we can somehow lock down a pick aligned to Melbourne's 2019 placing, we should be laughing.

My only concern is the AFL *s around and eliminates 2020 future pick arrangements and pushes them back to 2021.

We are in the box seat at the moment if we don't get a season in.

I actually don't think this is an issue for us, as long as we are using the 2019 ladder to base the draft order.

I think it's far more likely that Melbourne 2020 >>> Melbourne 2019.

If we can somehow lock down a pick aligned to Melbourne's 2019 placing, we should be laughing.

My only concern is the AFL fu**s around and eliminates 2020 future pick arrangements and pushes them back to 2021.

We are in the box seat at the moment if we don't get a season in.
It'll all be moot if we are chasing Kelly again.

I really hope we're not.

Would be face palm stuff imo.

He's going to be 26 next year and the likes of Higgins (33), Goldy (33), Tarrant (32) will all be closing in on retirement before he finishes his first contract.

Lets sell 2 x first rounders down the river and a major % of our salary cap for 4-5 years for a bloke that had a chance to come but wasn't interested when he had the prospect of 8-9 years at the club and a major % of the initial years being players with our current veterans and even others like Hunter.

In saying all this, I can quite easily see us sending #3 & #8 over to GWS in the process, we are the very definition of the desperado atm with big name out of contract types.

1 player isn't making us a contender - he only realistically replaces Higgins, then what about Tarrant and Goldstein? Ziebell and Cunners in a few seasons?

Last edited:
Would be face palm stuff imo.

He's going to be 26 next year.

Lets sell 2 x first rounders down the river and a major % of our salary cap for 4-5 years for a bloke that had a chance to come but wasn't interested.
Who sits in the deadzone of our list demographic. Meaning he'll probably be on his own as a our best player before the kids arrive but after the veterans have retired. It'd be like Carlton getting Judd.

Who sits in the deadzone of our list demographic. Meaning he'll probably be on his own as a our best player before the kids arrive but after the veterans have retired. It'd be like Carlton getting Judd.

Spot on.

Our mid 20 somethings - Wood, Garner, McDonald, Williams, Anderson, Turner, Atley, Tyson aren't good enough from a league perspective to pick up the slack of those guys.

Brown and Polec are the only two in that age group that fit the bill.

Before you know it, Cunners, Ziebell, Pittard and MacMillan will all be 30+ types also.

If we are targeting trades, I'd rather we go after some more cost effective options.

We can still fill out the list AND bring in highly rated kids - See Josh Walker and Jasper Pittard as examples of this.

Going 2 x seasons without first rounders is only going to create more list management issues, but in 2025-2030. It's going to leave a 3 year age gap between someone like Tarryn Thomas and our next first rounder.

Last edited:
It'll all be moot if we are chasing Kelly again.
I am not in favour of going after Kelly other than as a FA.

Using multiple top ten picks on him when he is 1 year away from FA is suicidal from a list development perspective - this decision alone could set us back 5 years.

We need high quality youth into the squad asap plus selective FA's to add depth and to replace the older guys as they fall away.

I trust Brady has the same mode of thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back