Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Let me be clear.

If TT was deadset going to go at Pick 4 or later, you would say no to a trade of Hawks Pick 4 and 2021 2nd for our Pick 1?
I think the mindset of other clubs is that they are more than likely to get who they want with the pick they have so why trade up.

That's why the Crows should approach Sydney, Gold Coast and Hawthorn to upgrade then it puts doubt in their mind.

I absolutely would... not the least because I don't want TT anyway. I want Hollands, and North are going to grab him at pick #3, if we don't take him with pick #2 (JUH being pick #1).

I would not entertain trading pick #1 for pick #4 in 2020 and any double-digit pick in 2021... and any list manager who accepted such a deal should be shot, hung, drawn and quartered.
Again your stating this as fact, as you do with a lot of your posts.

I disagree, this is not a "normal" draft or a normal year for that matter. To gain capital for next years draft without losing the player we wanted, is a mistake to not do.

There is no definitive clear assessment of players pedigrees in this years draft compared to previous years.

You wont convince me otherwise.

I’m sorry, you don’t think the draft is an artificial means to even the competition? Fair enough.

What would you like it to be? A Capitalists dream where only the rich Victorian Clubs can attract the best talent, slowly buying up smaller clubs until only Richmond, Hawks and Collingwood are left standing??

Aussie Rules is a sport, not a political theory you're invested in.

Agree however with the year we had with Covid - no footy in Vic
Then with Hollands injury he may have played more midfield and totally blown the competition apart
Absolutely could've, it's why McDonald is the safe choice

Let me be clear.

If TT was deadset going to go at Pick 4 or later, you would say no to a trade of Hawks Pick 4 and 2021 2nd for our Pick 1?

If we pick RT at 1thats crazy. Bribane x recruiting manager has him at 7 on his draft board. Consensus from most. We will not be taking him, more chance he slides to 9, or do a deal with Essendon move up a few spots.

He has LM at 2 and EH at 3 and Phillips at 4. I personally think our choice between these 3.

We just can’t pick RT at 1

Again your stating this as fact, as you do with a lot of your posts.

I disagree, this is not a "normal" draft or a normal year for that matter. To gain capital for next years draft without losing the player we wanted, is a mistake to not do.

There is no definitive clear assessment of players pedigrees in this years draft compared to previous years.

You wont convince me otherwise.
At best you're looking at trading pick #1 (3000pts) for picks 4 & 20 (2946 pts combined total). That's at least 1000pts short of getting a foot in the door, and 1500pts short of being seriously considered.

Yes, getting extra picks in 2021 is desirable - but you don't piss away pick #1, and make yourself a laughing stock, in order to do it.

If they're desperate enough, then they can pony up. If not, then there's no good reason for us to be trading down.

There's a good reason why the #1 draft pick is rarely traded. Pretty much the only teams to do it are a 90s/early 2000s era Fremantle, and potentially 2018 Carlton (who were 1 sacked coach away from gifting us #1). Both of those are examples of extremely poorly run clubs.

Good clubs don't give away valuable picks like this unless the other team is willing to pay a huge premium. Remember that Port paid a 50% premium in order to obtain the Rozee pick. That's the absolute minimum baseline we should be looking at. A 2nd round pick isn't even in the same postcode as an acceptable offer.

Put it another way.
Pick 1 = 3000pts. Minimum acceptable trade offer = 4500 pts (as per the Rozee premium).
Pick 4 = 2034pts, Pick 20 = 912 pts. Total = 2946

If we accepted the trade you want, we wouldn't even be breaking even on the points - let alone meeting the minimum 50% loading required. We'd be the laughing stock of the AFL, and everyone would be right to ridicule us.
Even though it is effectively pick #2?
Even if we could get the same player at #2 or #5?

The 2 weeks B4 and week after the Draft are better than Xmas ....absolute favorite time of the year

Hart being sacked was my Christmas present. Was hoping for Hass to be gone too, but guess I was being a bit greedy.

At best you're looking at trading pick #1 (3000pts) for picks 4 & 20 (2946 pts combined total). That's at least 1000pts short of getting a foot in the door, and 1500pts short of being seriously considered.

Yes, getting extra picks in 2021 is desirable - but you don't piss away pick #1, and make yourself a laughing stock, in order to do it.
Stop thinking in points, youre making yourself out to be a laughing stock.

If we are deadset keen only for TT at 1, you trade down. Getting a 2nd rounder 2021, is good compensation in a compromised year.

Sorry. Im done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are deadset keen only for TT at 1, you trade down. Getting a 2nd rounder 2021, is good compensation in a compromised year.

Sorry. Im done.
Thing is, you can probably ask for more than that.

just for a few of you here that think noone rates Thilthorpe as highly as McDonald..this on AFl chat with Matt Balmer

who is better McDonald or Tilthorpe?

Matt Balmer | @MattBalmer7Modreplied ben
Today at 12:05 PM

I have McDonald rated ahead. They're pretty even. I know some clubs have Riley ahead, while others have Logan.

Hart being sacked was my Christmas present. Was hoping for Hass to be gone too, but guess I was being a bit greedy.
There's always one kid that's never satisfied with his presents .....always wants one more ;)

Those three specifically contacted clubs and told them they wouldn't play for them if drafted, which is a little bit different.
Perkins has told half the competition he doesn't want to play for them. That's ok?
Pyman I know sent a letter to North Melbourne saying he didn't want to play there - they drafted him and he played there anyway - yet he was still fined.

Thing is, you can probably ask for more than that.
Of course. A hell of a lot more. But no Club is going to offer it in 2020.

In 2021, that should be an entirely different story in a covid free year hopefully.

Vader is the type that would hold onto the cash in his pocket when a nuclear holocaust has hit the entire world.

Even though it is effectively pick #2?
Even if we could get the same player at #2 or #5?
If we're lucky, there's a reasonable chance we can have the same player at #9.

Why cough up pick #1, to move back 3 picks (with massively insufficient compensation), only to pick a player we could have grabbed at #9, without having made ourselves look like the stupidest dunces in AFL history?

I
What would you like it to be? A Capitalists dream where only the rich Victorian Clubs can attract the best talent, slowly buying up smaller clubs until only Richmond, Hawks and Collingwood are left standing??

Aussie Rules is a sport, not a political theory you're invested in.
I don’t believe in artificially leveling anything, and that’s why I said I’m torn. If you would like to see Ussain Bolt starting 15 meters behind everyone in the Olympic final then fine, I wouldn’t.
I didn’t realise your objection to my post was politically based or I wouldn’t have responded, sorry.

just for a few of you here that think noone rates Thilthorpe as highly as McDonald..this on AFl chat with Matt Balmer

Matt Balmer | @MattBalmer7Modreplied ben
Today at 12:05 PM

I have McDonald rated ahead. They're pretty even. I know some clubs have Riley ahead, while others have Logan.
IMO when players are rated differently by esteemed recruiters ....you go with the choice of Best Fit for the gameplan you want for your Club

Sorry. Im done.
It's nowhere near being "good compensation", it's massively inadequate compensation.

I

I don’t believe in artificially leveling anything, and that’s why I said I’m torn. If you would like to see Ussain Bolt starting 15 meters behind everyone in the Olympic final then fine, I wouldn’t.
I didn’t realise your objection to my post was politically based or I wouldn’t have responded, sorry.

At his peak, he could make up 5m comfortably imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back