Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
So by my count, we have 35 on the senior list now?
So we are only using our first 3 picks at the draft. Last 2 for rookies

So that's Lockhart now off the rookie list?
looks like it

But I thing we have to wait until the draft until its official

So by my count, we have 35 on the senior list now?
So we are only using our first 3 picks at the draft. Last 2 for rookies
Yeah 35 from my count with maximum 38 senior listed players allowed. Everyone signed up now I believe, only paying out Kolodjashnij as a possible delisting.

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think on the night Collingwood might look to trade for another first round pick using their first next year. If they have already covered a bit for their academy kid, or he hasn't been bid on yet then they may chase pick 18 or 19 from us for that.

I’ll be surprised if we don’t use pick 50, it should come in quite a bit after the academy rubbish is done. But we now only have three spots left on the list for 18, 19 and 28. Really surprised that Bedford got retained on the senior list. Maybe we’ll find a way to use 50 to jump up the draft order once its value has increased?

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I’ll be surprised if we don’t use pick 50, it should come in quite a bit after the academy rubbish is done. But we now only have three spots left on the list for 18, 19 and 28. Really surprised that Bedford got retained on the senior list. Maybe we’ll find a way to use 50 to jump up the draft order once its value has increased?
I don't think it's about wanting to use it.. we have to get rid of someone on the list.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Like the look of picking at 18, 19 and 28. Would bank on Taylor getting 2/3 right at those picks and a decent chance of 3/3.

I can't help but feel a large part of this "no depth in this year's draft" talk is 'draft expert' code for "how am I supposed to pretend to know who the good players are if I can't just read out the best players from the TAC Cup and Championships?"

If you take an optimistic view, less exposed form helps a superior recruiter like Taylor find Top 10 talent that falls to the 20s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gawndog37

Senior List
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Would like to pick swap with GWS there 20 (912points) for our 28 & 50 (950points). Have 18, 19, 20 in draft.
Giants already have 5 picks inside the top 30 so I doubt they are going to use any picks after that so I don't think they will do that trade. I think we definitely want to turn our 4 picks into 3 but I think we'll have a tough time finding a suitor as finding a team with enough list spots to use more picks could be difficult. Something that I think could definitely happen though is Collingwood trading their future 1st for one of our firsts if there's someone on the board at our pick that they really rate.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
I think on the night Collingwood might look to trade for another first round pick using their first next year. If they have already covered a bit for their academy kid, or he hasn't been bid on yet then they may chase pick 18 or 19 from us for that.
18 and 50 helps with the bid for McGinness if he hasn’t been Bid by 18. On points it is about 13-14

Meds

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The question for me is whether we keep a slot open for the mid-season draft. There's so much talk of a lack of exposed form - is it worth waiting 6 months to see what some of the kids that aren't drafted can do in state leagues then pick up a bolter mid-year before others can grab them in the 2021 draft where we won't have a pick until the 30's (after winning the flag obvs).

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
The question for me is whether we keep a slot open for the mid-season draft. There's so much talk of a lack of exposed form - is it worth waiting 6 months to see what some of the kids that aren't drafted can do in state leagues then pick up a bolter mid-year before others can grab them in the 2021 draft where we won't have a pick until the 30's (after winning the flag obvs).

I wouldn't. There's a pretty good chance a spot opens up either through long-term injury or it becoming apparent that Jones or Jetta aren't going to get back in the side.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I wouldn't. There's a pretty good chance a spot opens up either through long-term injury or it becoming apparent that Jones or Jetta aren't going to get back in the side.
Almost every side has a long term injury or 2 they could open up for a mid season pick, wed still have our pick around 9 which you wouldn't be holding out for a good player with.

I guess this suggests that Bedford has something to work with, which is good given he plays a position we need.

Surprised about him and Chandler.

I guess this suggests that Bedford has something to work with, which is good given he plays a position we need.

Surprised about him and Chandler.
Last chance saloon for both you'd think. With an actual 2s next year they might get some more opportunity. Hopefully at least one becomes a solid player in next year. Chandler being moulded as a Nev replacement so hopefully he comes on quickly.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can't remember when/where I posted it, but I said a while back that I thought Goody would try and keep most of the group together heading into such a pivotal year for both him and the Club. And you know what - I'm supportive of it.

We've moved out some players in OMac, JWags, Preuss & Hannan who wouldn't have been on minimum rookie payments, and kept a few (Chandler, Brown, Bedford, Jordon) who will be. we've brought in Ben Brown, and we've moved up the draft significantly.

It won't be lost on Goody that it's top 6 or bust from here, surely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back