List Mgmt. 2020 Draft (December 9) discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our currently owned picks:

24 - Blake Coleman
43 - Harry Sharp
48 - Henry Smith

Our currently owned 2021 picks:

1st (MEL), 1st (BRI), 3rd (WCE), 3rd (BRI), 4th (MEL), 4th (COL), 5th (BRI)

Last edited:
Never thought I'd agree with David King, but along side Clarkson and Pendlebury he makes sense (yes i was against this when Bevo muted it but hey I'm wrong at least 50% of the time).

Fox Footy analyst David King agreed with Clarkson in saying the current system needs an overhaul.

“In my opinion, the Under-18s system, the way it sits at the moment, it needs to go,” King said on Fox Footy Live.

“It served a purpose. It’s changed so much now, I think that you take these kids out of their area to go to private schools and all these sorts of things and that’s become the only feeding ground.

“We drafted 65 kids last year, we’ve gotta leave these kids in their areas to drive football in their areas.

“We’ve all played with the gun kid and we all play with the gun kid because we want to see him every week. As soon as he takes off and goes to another team and is gone, the fun and enjoyment of that young group is gone.

“I think we’ve dragged kids to private schools and I know it’s great for their education and there’s upside to it, but I think it’s come to a point where its hurt our game.”

You know they’re basically talking about going back to the old zones.

We’d be left building from our academy.

Yeah, very bad call there.

eDPS works for AFL Draft Central. There’s no club bias when it comes to talking about the draft, and the kids. He’s one of the guys who talks to a lot of the kids every year, and knows what they’re thinking, especially about the current raising the draft age discussion.
Ok I'm wrong Clarko's wrong, Kings wrong, Pendlebury's wrong etc etc etc. L8tr

The system we have now isn’t perfect and to be honest I don’t think we ever will get a perfect system, there are so many pro’s and con’s either way.

As it stands it should stay the way it is unless you can find that perfect solution which the AFL wouldn’t be able to do anytime soon with the money and resources needed to make it work.

The system we have now isn’t perfect and to be honest I don’t think we ever will get a perfect system, there are so many pro’s and con’s either way.

As it stands it should stay the way it is unless you can find that perfect solution which the AFL wouldn’t be able to do anytime soon with the money and resources needed to make it work.
The state hubs take over the development of all the kids, and we get rid of all the academies.

Any kid can be drafted anywhere.

The only thing I agree with King about, is 4 year contracts for first round picks. Then I’d do 3 years for second round picks. And 2 years for third round picks.

Our first rounder?

O'Driscoll, who has grown five centremetres since last year to stand at 187cm, models his game on Robertson, a hard-at-it midfielder who made his debut for the Lions in round one.

"When I was in juniors I was always playing against Bobby and Sydney, and Deven and I were on the same team. We'd always have a pretty good rivalry, and I'm pretty close to Dev," he said.

"He's a year older than me so I always looked up to him, and the way he attacks the footy is something I love. He's so courageous, he's not afraid of anything, he goes in head first, and that's what I like about him.

"Last year in the championships I had to stay away from doing that in a way because he was the one that doing it. That's what I learned most from him, to just go in hard. That's the sort of player I want to be."

Our first rounder?

O'Driscoll, who has grown five centremetres since last year to stand at 187cm, models his game on Robertson, a hard-at-it midfielder who made his debut for the Lions in round one.

"When I was in juniors I was always playing against Bobby and Sydney, and Deven and I were on the same team. We'd always have a pretty good rivalry, and I'm pretty close to Dev," he said.

"He's a year older than me so I always looked up to him, and the way he attacks the footy is something I love. He's so courageous, he's not afraid of anything, he goes in head first, and that's what I like about him.

"Last year in the championships I had to stay away from doing that in a way because he was the one that doing it. That's what I learned most from him, to just go in hard. That's the sort of player I want to be."
We have two first round picks, and there are three mids I’d take before O’Driscoll, that might be around our first pick.

Finlay Macrae from Oakleigh Chargers. He’s pretty much like his brother, dual sided and maybe more polished. But he didn’t standout in the preseason matches, unlike most of the other top talent.

Tanner Bruhn from Geelong Falcons. He’d be a top 3 mid, but he had ACL surgery last year. And I’m sure I read he had a second surgery earlier this year. He’s an inside outside mid, who is very damaging. Vic country MVP from the U16 carnival.

Archie Perkins from Sandringham. He’s a Zorko type midfielder. Except he’s 186cm. He tested really well at the preseason NAB league testing day. Very high vertical leap, and fast. He also performed really well in the preseason practice matches. And he’s a very high leap and strong mark up forward.

We have two first round picks, and there are three mids I’d take before O’Driscoll, that might be around our first pick.

Finlay Macrae from Oakleigh Chargers. He’s pretty much like his brother, dual sided and maybe more polished. But he didn’t standout in the preseason matches, unlike most of the other top talent.

Tanner Bruhn from Geelong Falcons. He’d be a top 3 mid, but he had ACL surgery last year. And I’m sure I read he had a second surgery earlier this year. He’s an inside outside mid, who is very damaging. Vic country MVP from the U16 carnival.

Archie Perkins from Sandringham. He’s a Zorko type midfielder. Except he’s 186cm. He tested really well at the preseason NAB league testing day. Very high vertical leap, and fast. He also performed really well in the preseason practice matches. And he’s a very high leap and strong mark up forward.
Personally think speculating about draft picks as if we’re going to have a draft like any other year is completely misguided.

Personally think speculating about draft picks as if we’re going to have a draft like any other year is completely misguided.
All we can do is speculate, until we get some word on what will happen.

As it is, I was discussing the kids themselves. But did mention we currently have two first round picks as per last year’s draft and trade period.

What picks do we (at this stage) have in the first round of the draft this year?
We have ours and??? Is it Ports?
It seems like a life time ago, the draft and trade period last year, I can’t even remember.
Yes.

No second round picks.

If the AFL let us keep them?
It’s probably a good year to take them to the draft as we will probably need to take 2 as a minimum.
Although somewhat of a gamble not getting to see the kids this year.
Did you listen to Conole on the latest Roar Deal Podcast?

A lot of the mids, and medium forwards and backs are pretty well known. What we miss here are the late developers, such as the McCluggage, Bontempelli and Oliver.

It’s the development of a lot of the tall KPP players that will be more speculative. There are a couple of top end talents that have runs on the board, but there’s potentially a large group who might be harder to place because they haven’t had as much exposure.

Did you listen to Conole on the latest Roar Deal Podcast?

A lot of the mids, and medium forwards and backs are pretty well known. What we miss here are the late developers, such as the McCluggage, Bontempelli and Oliver.

It’s the development of a lot of the tall KPP players that will be more speculative. There are a couple of top end talents that have runs on the board, but there’s potentially a large group who might be harder to place because they haven’t had as much exposure.
Yep, most of the list managers have been saying pretty similar. But some also fall away in their Draft year.
And others fall away after being drafted and having a cry like LDU.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FYI tanner bruhn did not have ACL surgery he had osteocohndritis and his follow up surgery was to remove piece of nail that did not dissolve my mate knows his uncle apparently he is fit and firing he will go high in the draft watch this space

FYI tanner bruhn did not have ACL surgery he had osteocohndritis and his follow up surgery was to remove piece of nail that did not dissolve my mate knows his uncle apparently he is fit and firing he will go high in the draft watch this space
Hi Bruce0912 thanks for the information.

Could you provide some clarification about Tanner’s surgeries please.

When you say he didn’t have ACL surgery, but surgery for osteochondritis, do you mean the first surgery in jan/feb 2019, or second surgery in feb 2020?

Hi Bruce0912 thanks for the information.

Could you provide some clarification about Tanner’s surgeries please.

When you say he didn’t have ACL surgery, but surgery for osteochondritis, do you mean the first surgery in jan/feb 2019, or second surgery in feb 2020?
First surgery 2019 was for osteochondritis second surgery was minor clean up of the first all clubs will have records of his operation which was done by Julian Fellor

For anyone who is (vaguely) interested, there’s a phantom draft going on, on the draft board. Here’s who I selected for Brisbane.

Pick 11. Brisbane Lions

Archie Perkins. 186cm. 77kg.
Sandringham Dragons.

3A880145-A636-4453-B970-DF480E67A1D5.jpeg

I selected Archie Perkins because of his elite athletic profile, with elite speed, agility, and vertical jump, giving him the power and drive from the midfield, and his ability to score from both midfield and when resting forward.

I see Perkins as a natural replacement for the ageing Dayne Zorko. I believe Perkins plays a similar style to Zorko, albeit with the added bonus of being 10+ centimetres taller, but with the same explosion and power from the contest, speed and agility, and ability to move the ball forward from the midfield, score from both midfield, and when resting forward.

Pick 27. Brisbane Lions

Harry Sharp. 184cm. 70kg.
Greater Western Victoria Rebels.

887507AC-2BD9-441C-B752-EC7334CF8F7A.jpeg

Harry Sharp is not your typical winger who avoids contact, despite a two to one uncontested to contested possession count.

Sharp is willing to put his body on the line, and play the team orientated game that coach Chris Fagan asks of his outside players.

From an elite athletics background, Sharp is an endurance athlete who topped last years yo yo test as an under ager player at the NAB league preseason testing day. But also possesses genuine speed to beat opponents on the outside.

Sharp does need to work on his kicking, but this not a big weakness in the Brisbane system.

Missing out on this year’s elite KPF and ruck talents, Brisbane was happy to move the second of its first round picks in to next years draft, in the hope of securing a KPP next year, while upgrading this year’s third round selection to a second round selection, used to fill a position of need.

Last edited:

Just trying to refresh the memory from last year.....
Crozier and Coleman Jnr were pretty highly rated I seem to remember. If we want to grab them it might get a little tricky with the AFL trying to reduce lists to 40 and us having two firsts as well. Would need to cut about ten players.

Just trying to refresh the memory from last year.....
Crozier and Coleman Jnr were pretty highly rated I seem to remember. If we want to grab them it might get a little tricky with the AFL trying to reduce lists to 40 and us having two firsts as well. Would need to cut about ten players.
Depending on which draft watcher you talk to, some rate Carter Michael higher. Without seeing any Academy Series games, or National Championships, it’s hard to tell from their U17 year.

Steph Conole mentioned in a recent Roar Deal podcast, the club plans to use our two first round draft picks, but didn’t expand beyond that.

With the underage competitions moving to U19’s next year, I’m hoping it’s a short draft and all our academy kids slide through to next year.

Depending on which draft watcher you talk to, some rate Carter Michael higher. Without seeing any Academy Series games, or National Championships, it’s hard to tell from their U17 year.

Steph Conole mentioned in a recent Roar Deal podcast, the club plans to use our two first round draft picks, but didn’t expand beyond that.

With the underage competitions moving to U19’s next year, I’m hoping it’s a short draft and all our academy kids slide through to next year.
Yeah fair enough. So there could well be three kids rated quite highly. Do you think there may only be a couple of rounds this year?

Yeah fair enough. So there could well be three kids rated quite highly. Do you think there may only be a couple of rounds this year?
Going off some of the more reliable draft watchers, I don’t believe any of our academy kids were regarded as first round, or top 25 prospects.

My gut feeling is they were possibly viewed as mid to late second round prospects.

I really have no idea what the draft might look like.

A lot will depend on what the AFL lowers the TPP cap to, and how much they cut lists back to.

Including rookies, we have 36 players under contract for next year, with Steph Martin the most important player out of contract. Plus had committed to bringing another Irish Cat B rookie out to Australia.

Noble and Conole have always drafted best available talent early in the draft, and looked to fill needs later. Nor do they draft academy kids, unless they rate them, just because they came through our academy.

If lists are cut, there really won’t be much room or need for another small forward on our list. Possibly not for another two or three drafts.

Looking at last year’s U17’s, there aren’t any kids the caliber of Matt Rowell, Sam Walsh, Rankine or Rozee.

There’s a good ruck forward from SA, Riley Thilthorpe. He’s not as athletic as Steph Martin or the King twins. But he’s a good field kick and kick for goal, has good hands and footy smarts, is a strong mark, knows how to lead, and has potential for a huge tank, won West Adelaide’s time trial as a 198cm 16 year old.

However, if we don’t have a chance at Thilthorpe with our first pick, I’d probably look at the best midfielder available.

If all we have to go off are their U16 and U17 year’s, there’s a lot of decent mids this year.

There’s a couple of tall, big bodied inside mids from WA, Trew and O’Driscoll.

Quite a few in and under bulls in the 180cm to 184cm range from Phillips, Berry, Davis and Maher. Plus Tanner Bruhn, who’s come back from knee surgery while not a bull, is a good extractor and user of the ball.

Three of tall, mid forwards who have serious x-factor. Hollands who’s a Connor Rozee type, but has done an acl. Perkins who’s a taller Zorko type. Ford who’s a Daisy Thomas type.

Finlay Macrae, who’s good off both feet, good hands inside, very good disposal and decision making. Played largely on the outside for a stacked Oakleigh side last year, but can accumulate high possession numbers as a classy midfield when given the opportunity. Put on a clinic and BOG performance against a QLD U17 futures side last year featuring all of ours and Gold Coasts mids.

Two other kids worth mentioning are Oliver Henry and Bailey Laurie.

Henry is a James Scicily type, both forward and back. Plays taller than his height, has a high leap and is a strong overhead mark.

Laurie is shorter at 178cm, can play midfield and forward, is very skilful and dynamic around goal. Also plays for the stacked Oakleigh side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back