Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the most recent Road to the Draft
Tilthorpe apparently had a 1.5 hour catch up with Nicks the other day. Not sure it's that typical to get a one-on-one coffee with the head coach as a draftee. Must be right in their thinking.

The scenario of
Thilthorpe
Hollands
DGB
----

is not inconceivable, by any stretch. Hollands is a more complete and polished player than McDonald and DGB destroyed McDonald in a WAFL game earlier in the year by all reports. Took like five intercept marks or something on him in one half.

If this happens, unlike most on this board, I would be praying Essendon picked up the phone and would bite their hand off for 6,7 for 4 and 24.

Would land at least 1 of Perkins or Phillips (likely Perkins) and could take a KPP prospect like a Reid who is 202cm, has a running vert above 80cm and ran mid 6's for 2km. Plus has neat disposal and decision-making. Seriously high upside and more a true KPP than a player like Cox. Also trained at Hawks last summer like Downie, so we would know a lot about his abilities.

I don't love the Perkins chat but would love Reid

I know it is a joke... but blaaaaa. Dodo is loving this situation. His team is failing but he is now the centre of attention
How the bombers, or should I say the *, have not dumped this dude, is beyond me.

Surely there's only one explanation, those "missing" spreadsheets are actually scanned and saved to Dildoro's cloud with a hard copy stored at a secret location 😉

Hollands saying we're one of a handful of clubs that have interviewed him twice now.
In all seriousness it would be silly for us to not have had multiple interviews with any of the top 5 cause who knows where they will fall on draft day.

Also in 4 or 5 years when we are contending again it would be great to have some knowledge on all of these kids and who knows a simple 30 min meeting could very well give the kid insight into eventually luring them to the HFC.

I’d like to think that we’d have had at least 2-3 convos with Hollands, Perkins, Phillips, DGB, Bruhn, Henry and even Campbell.

Means we are pretty interested. Hoping we get him.
6. Hawthorn - Elijah Hollands
Height, Weight:
188cm, 85kg
Profile: A talented forward and midfielder, Hollands is arguably the highest impact-per-possession player in the pool. His penetrating kick, aggressive run and carry, evasion and influence when used forward of centre as either a marking target or with his ground level craft, make him a weapon

It doesn't get much better for us a no brainer if his available! three key traits we lack in our setup.

Height, Weight:
188cm, 85kg
Profile: A talented forward and midfielder, Hollands is arguably the highest impact-per-possession player in the pool. His penetrating kick, aggressive run and carry, evasion and influence when used forward of centre as either a marking target or with his ground level craft, make him a weapon

It doesn't get much better for us a no brainer if his available! three key traits we lack in our setup.
What’s his speed like?

In all seriousness it would be silly for us to not have had multiple interviews with any of the top 5 cause who knows where they will fall on draft day.

Also in 4 or 5 years when we are contending again it would be great to have some knowledge on all of these kids and who knows a simple 30 min meeting could very well give the kid insight into eventually luring them to the HFC.

I’d like to think that we’d have had at least 2-3 convos with Hollands, Perkins, Phillips, DGB, Bruhn, Henry and even Campbell.

There's enough evidence to suggest the recruiting staff have been doing this for several years now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade our future first for another top 10 pick this year. I can't see us being bottom 3-4 again so all the talk of the gun SA kid is probably moot for us. And if the draft is as stacked as people are expecting in 2021 we should still be able to get quality kids with later picks.

The sooner we get talent into the club the faster we can climb back up the ladder IMO. I'd be happy to trade our future first for perhaps GC 5 (they might see it as top 5 next year and don't necessarily need their pick with their two pre-selections being good players) or deal with GWS and grab and handful of kids who could have been top 5-10 this year without COVID.

Either way, I just want to feel that the club is pulling out all stops to get back as quickly as possible. I didnt really feel that with the FA and trade period so hoping they make a few moves with the draft.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Trade our future first for another top 10 pick this year. I can't see us being bottom 3-4 again so all the talk of the gun SA kid is probably moot for us. And if the draft is as stacked as people are expecting in 2021 we should still be able to get quality kids with later picks.

The sooner we get talent into the club the faster we can climb back up the ladder IMO. I'd be happy to trade our future first for perhaps GC 5 (they might see it as top 5 next year and don't necessarily need their pick with their two pre-selections being good players) or deal with GWS and grab and handful of kids who could have been top 5-10 this year without COVID.

Either way, I just want to feel that the club is pulling out all stops to get back as quickly as possible. I didnt really feel that with the FA and trade period so hoping they make a few moves with the draft.

I agree.
I suggested this a couple of weeks ago.
TylerDurden (who I respect) said it was a "big call".

We have already traded out a future fourth. Would need to trade one back in to trade out our first. but I’d suggest we won’t give up our future first unless it helps us acquire a specific player. So trade on the night, not in advance if we do it at all.

I agree we won’t be bottom 5 bad next year but Our first next year will probably be a better prospect then Perkins or Henry who we would look to take with another top 10 pick.

I agree.
I suggested this a couple of weeks ago.
TylerDurden (who I respect) said it was a "big call".
The issue may be that we won't find a buyer for that deal.

I can only imagine Essendon MAY be willing to send out one of 6,7,8 for our 2021 pick. But due to the Academy bids, Essendon's first picks might blow out to 10 or past it. Are we willing to give up a top 10 pick in a stronger, less compromised, more information draft....for a very late top 10 pick in this draft riddled with concerns? All for the benefit of getting in 1 kid, 1 year earlier? Doubt it.

The issue may be that we won't find a buyer for that deal.

I can only imagine Essendon MAY be willing to send out one of 6,7,8 for our 2021 pick. But due to the Academy bids, Essendon's first picks might blow out to 10 or past it. Are we willing to give up a top 10 pick in a stronger, less compromised, more information draft....for a very late top 10 pick in this draft riddled with concerns? All for the benefit of getting in 1 kid, 1 year earlier? Doubt it.
Exactly right.

We have already traded out a future fourth. Would need to trade one back in to trade out our first. but I’d suggest we won’t give up our future first unless it helps us acquire a specific player. So trade on the night, not in advance if we do it at all.
I hear you. Either way, I'd love the club to get Hollands, then pull the trigger and get Perkins as well. Two potential game changers. Throw in Poulter and Downie and we'd have some real midfield/hf power come in in one offseason.

Obviously a low percentage to happen but as I said, I'd just love to feel like we are being aggressive when others are shying away from the uncertainty in this draft.

Davo-27 ...I noticed on the Phantom Draft you selected DGB for us and Phillips was still available.

Your rankings had Phillips as No.1....any reason you changed ?

Cheers in advance

It was more what we need, our lack of Key Position Players that are good quality was a big reason why i chose DGB, even though i think he could be a really good mid, i dont know if Clarko is interested in changing up our midfield group of T.Mitchell, JOM, Worpel and Shiels? and other than Frost our talls could use upgrades imo

It was more what we need, our lack of Key Position Players that are good quality was a big reason why i chose DGB, even though i think he could be a really good mid, i dont know if Clarko is interested in changing up our midfield group of T.Mitchell, JOM, Worpel and Shiels? and other than Frost our talls could use upgrades imo
I bloody well hope that he is!

Height, Weight:
188cm, 85kg

That description sounds like Cyril

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back