Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, if we get to Pick 4 and McDonald is still on the board, I'd love to see us trade that pick for a deal that removes pick 24 from our hand and still nets us the picks to get two players the quality of Perkins, Bruhn or Henry.

just dont back any of these players and hope the club makes the right decisions, we can talk until the cows come home, but i doubt the club will listen, they will pick who they want, i just hope and pray it is the right decision.

dont get too invested in a decision you have no influence over imo.
Yep. Club appeared to draft reasonably well last year but has been very patchy in previous years (Lovell, Hartung, Howe, even burton).
We really need to nail a few drafts in a row.

My greatest fear is that DGB is another Jake Lever. This is based on nothing but pure fear but I think I am past that he is far more athletic and looks so elite reading the play. I guess the query is if you can take away his ability to intercept which AFL sides will be able to do then what is his B game like and I don't know the answer. And I wonder if there is exposure of him in games being blocked from his intercept role.
DGB has played on both McDonald and Holland’s in the past 18 months and beaten both. His athleticism will enable him to be versatile. So even if he doesn’t quite make it as a star interceptor he will be able to fill a lot of roles. Think of a taller version of Stratton. He and Campbell are the safest choices on the draft for mine. Honourable mention to Phillips.

Based on tworneys latest Carroll and Poulter a chance to be there at our 2nd pick (if Downie not bid on). Would be happy with both (particularly Carroll as a classy inside/outside mid).

Yep, and don’t get attached to a player that you’ve probably got a 10th of the knowledge of in comparison to the club scouts and decision makers.

Some of the melting about Day being taken last year and who was still on the board was ultimately pretty embarrassing.
We could make a thread of it..."Insane draft melts"...or "WTF would I know - Draft Edition"

Agree. Thilthorpe is perfect for us.
Imagine having a player who could take a contested mark when we just bomb it in constantly!

As the game is currently being played, the monster forward who can clunk contested marks and take I50 ruck contests is valuable (Hawkins, Lynch, Dixon). And Thilthorpe is agile at ground level too. Structurally, he would be perfect for us I agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Downie at 22. Not good.
If Downie is selected earlier, say 15 will it make us feel better?
I love that kick, Clinton young like without the hook at the end.

24 needs to be moved on.

Cal actually has no idea right now. Which tells you something. The clubs actually don't know what way they're going yet, at the top end.

Strap in for next Wed.
How good would it be to watch the draft having no idea of pick 1 and the therefore the exact top 10 like we do most years.

Yep. Club appeared to draft reasonably well last year but has been very patchy in previous years (Lovell, Hartung, Howe, even burton).
We really need to nail a few drafts in a row.

I thought we had one of the better draft records over the last 10 years. I don’t think we have anything to prove. Our record of finding talent out of WA is as good as anyone.

Latest from Twomey:

Of note:
- JUH, McDonald, Hollands, Thilthorpe, DGB, Phillips, Perkins top 7 (no surprises)

- Recruiters impressed by Hollands approach to knee injury

- Some recruiters see Thilthorpe as best player

- Downie at 22. Apparently Giants interested at 20.

- Specifically mentions Hawthorn interest or multiple interviews in relation to McDonald, Hollands, Phillips and Perkins

Interesting re Hollands given some recent info that's come to light.

Edit: also there are some nice highlights there of Downie. Quick, booming kick and accurate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back