Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

They’ve lost 3 best 22 players and probably destroyed the club culture. At best they’ll be 8th.

Please. Pies got rid of Stephenson who bet on himself (Should have got 2 years minimum) and has a video floating round of him engaging in recreational activities on top of being pretty soft. Treloar is a decent player but isn't a great kick and they tried to trade him last year. Phillips is handy but lets be honest with oursleves he is no star.

They will get 3 kids under 20 with Daicos to come in next year. Pies had a wretched run with injury this year. Think they will be in the finals again without question.

Please. Pies got rid of Stephenson who bet on himself (Should have got 2 years minimum) and has a video floating round of him engaging in recreational activities on top of being pretty soft. Treloar is a decent player but isn't a great kick and they tried to trade him last year. Phillips is handy but lets be honest with oursleves he is no star.

They will get 3 kids under 20 with Daicos to come in next year. Pies had a wretched run with injury this year. Think they will be in the finals again without question.

What's this video that you're referring to mate?

Looks like the Crows list management team are getting to overrule their marketing team and will make the pragmatic decision to use pick 1 to bid JUH.

More importantly though, flagging their intent to draft the best available talent rather than a certain position or home state. Begs the question, who do they rate as the best available talent after JUH?

Agreed. However IMO a lot will depend on how Howe bounces back from that terrible knee injury.

Looks like the Crows list management team are getting to overrule their marketing team and will make the pragmatic decision to use pick 1 to bid JUH.

More importantly though, flagging their intent to draft the best available talent rather than a certain position or home state. Begs the question, who do they rate as the best available talent after JUH?
Wouldn't be surprised if the bid on JUH and then after they match pick Hollands. No reason outside of a gut feel I got listening to that Hollands interview the other day. Really just the way he talked about maybe getting drafted there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be surprised if the bid on JUH and then after they match pick Hollands. No reason outside of a gut feel I got listening to that Hollands interview the other day. Really just the way he talked about maybe getting drafted there.
It's tough to call. McDonald seems to be the popular choice for next best talent based on exposed 2020 form. Hollands the best raw talent but with question marks due to the knee. And then Thilthorpe who was widely considered the obvious first choice for Crows prior to COVID-19 interruption who also has the home state factor (which would be the deciding factor if they rate him as good a KPF option as McDonald).

Certainly going to make draft night interesting.

All it takes is one of Adelaide, North Melbourne or Sydney selecting a midfielder with their first pick, then it’s welcome to Hawthorn one of the big three key position players with pick 4.

200.gif

If they bid with Pick 1 and hand centre stage to the Dogs to unfurl JUH I will laugh hard.

Not sure how it would be a pragmatic decision to bid on a player that will be an automatic match.

Daicos coming at the end of 2021 doesn't help them next season though.
There's some serious ill-feeling at the Pies after a disastrous list management period where numerous people in positions of power were made to look utterly shambolic, and then their is ex-board members also agitating from outside.

If there was one side in finals that you'd want to get their 2021 first, its the pies.

Not Thilthorpe.

Hollands or McDonald. I reckon if we go Hollands with Pick 2 it's because we think Thilthorpe might slide a bit. If he lands at your pick then you expect your phone to be going flat out like a lizard drinkin', come Draft night

If they bid with Pick 1 and hand centre stage to the Dogs to unfurl JUH I will laugh hard.

Not sure how it would be a pragmatic decision to bid on a player that will be an automatic match.

If they bid on JUH Bulldogs keep pick 33, instead by bidding on JUH Bulldogs next pick is pick 54.

Adelaide also have pick 40. That takes one club out before that pick. They do this for free.

“Most talented” probably rules out McDonald. Thilthorpe or hollands to the crows is my guess.

Last edited:

We've had this pros/cons of matching or not discussion previously. It essentially came down to whether some (imo) pretty fluffy and short lived off-field benefits around the optics and messaging to their supporters out-weighed optimising the actual football competition aspects that came from bidding.

Ultimately the intelligent Crows fans will know the reality of the situation and won't be fooled into thinking they have or haven't got the best player in the 2020 draft regardless of whether the websites/papers technically say they used pick 1 or pick 2. Either those supporters genuinely rated JUH the best before the draft, or they didn't. As for the nuffies, they're going to consider whoever they pick first at all their picks as the best players in the draft and will absolutely revel in the fact they were able to swing that pick 1 dick around and make the Doggies pay maximum possible price for a player they already know they're not getting - they're already frothing about it on BigFooty and it hasn't even happened yet.

Downie at 22. Not good.
Just for the record and nothing personal towards the kid.

I don't care if we get him or not. I'm not invested. I don't see him as a free hit because he isn't. We will get called on him prior to pick 24, he is basically a second round selection as it stands, it only changes should he last past our pick 24 then I say happy days.
I don't think he will last until 24.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back