Official Club Stuff 2020 Indigenous Guernsey

Remove this Banner Ad

This would look way better with the colours inverted including the collar/cuffs. Apologies for the lazy negative but you get the gist. Funny how the teal is almost pink though.

View attachment 932347

Yes but who do we drop for Doctor Manhattan

Yeah you are correct, the turnaround on this stuff isn’t instantaneous and anyone in the textiles industry would know the pressures on ISC over the last 24+ months.

ISC aren’t doing any more merch as they won’t be our sponsor next year. It’s why the prison bars didn’t have an incorporated MG logo after a 2 month hiatus.

ISC are struggling to be solvent let alone re-run apparel for teams they won’t have on the books soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just left the Port Store (my 7yo wanted a Butters guernsey)... turns out these Indigenous guernseys that literally arrived today didn’t make the cut off to get MG on the front as they were produced before the MG partnership.

WTF??
Yes WTF. 25th of February was the announcement of MG as 2nd sponsor.

Sounds like BS that these were produced before 25th February. No wonder we are ditching ISC.

Didn't see Eugene Warrior senior play but watching the 1973 Reserves Grand Final against Woodville on you tube, he looks a very silky 2 sided player.
If I actually did the list it would be a toss up between him and Byron as my # 1.

He was mesmerizing as a really young kid, watching him play in those live full game broadcasts of reserves games between Noon and 2pm on a Saturday.

Just left the Port Store (my 7yo wanted a Butters guernsey)... turns out these Indigenous guernseys that literally arrived today didn’t make the cut off to get MG on the front as they were produced before the MG partnership.

WTF??

I remember our SANFL jumper at the Port store 2 years ago didn’t have sponsors on them either.

As I said I'm not a fan of white jumpers, especially for home games, but I like hearing the designer Karl "Winda" Telfer explain what he had put on the jumper, why and what it means. Like the boomerangs on the back with PB design endings.

Has anyone got a hold of the guernsey yet to work out who the 62 names are?

I thought the club might publish the list on the website somewhere.
If they included players who have played for the Magpies since 1997 but not in the AFL I reckon its a lot more than 62. We had
41 players in Sgt Schulz's list in August 2018 and Garner debuting after his last edit makes it 42.

19 players had played before we moved into the AFL and then 5 also have played in the AFL for us post 1996.
Wanganeen, Shane Bond, Cockatoo-Collins, Francis, and Peter Burgoyne.

I found a post I made on page 1 of SgtSchulz's thread in 2017 and had 2 links to club articles re our indigenous players. These appear to be the 20 other players. Maybe its not more than 20 players post 1996 who only played at SANFL level as per my comment above.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-05-29/big-list-port-adelaides-indigenous-players

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...aboriginal-and-torres-strait-islander-players

1​
Keith Nicholls
2​
Peter Burgoyne Snr
3​
Ricky O'Loughlin
4​
Donald Cockatoo-Collins
5​
Corey Ah Chee
6​
Graham Johncock
7​
Joel Tessman
8​
Aaron Davey
9​
Alwyn Davey
10​
Brett Goodes
11​
Harry Miller
12​
Michael Clinch
13​
Cameron Miller
14​
Terry Milera
15​
Peter Lindsay
16​
Tim Milera
17​
Robbie Young
18​
David Cockatoo-Collins
19​
Anthony Wilson
20​
Brian Stanislaus

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they included players who have played for the Magpies since 1997 but not in the AFL I reckon its a lot more than 62. We had
41 players in Sgt Schulz's list in August 2018 and Garner debuting after his last edit makes it 42.

19 players had played before we moved into the AFL and then 5 also have played in the AFL for us post 1996.
Wanganeen, Shane Bond, Cockatoo-Collins, Francis, and Peter Burgoyne.

I found a post I made on page 1 of SgtSchulz's thread in 2017 and had 2 links to club articles re our indigenous players. These appear to be the 20 other players. Maybe its not more than 20 players post 1996 who only played at SANFL level as per my comment above.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-05-29/big-list-port-adelaides-indigenous-players

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...aboriginal-and-torres-strait-islander-players

1​
Keith Nicholls
2​
Peter Burgoyne Snr
3​
Ricky O'Loughlin
4​
Donald Cockatoo-Collins
5​
Corey Ah Chee
6​
Graham Johncock
7​
Joel Tessman
8​
Aaron Davey
9​
Alwyn Davey
10​
Brett Goodes
11​
Harry Miller
12​
Michael Clinch
13​
Cameron Miller
14​
Terry Milera
15​
Peter Lindsay
16​
Tim Milera
17​
Robbie Young
18​
David Cockatoo-Collins
19​
Anthony Wilson
20​
Brian Stanislaus

I think someone on this board posted recently that they believed that the list of indigenous players includes those who:

1. played for the PAFC pre-1997, plus
2. those that were on our AFL list who played (either AFL or SANFL level) post that date.

But that it excludes:

3. players since the re-unification of the AFL and SANFL sides, who played league at SANFL level but were not on our AFL list ie. top ups.

If true, that seems a tad harsh if they donned the guernsey at State League level, but were excluded due to not being AFL listed at the time.

Maybe someone from the Club can clarify the "eligibility" criteria for us?

Also, does anyone know of a bloke named Reginald Betts from Eyre Peninsula, who played around 20 games for Port from 1928 to 1931, and whether he is indigenous or otherwise?

Cheers and thanks.

Some of the recent indigenous guernsey designs are not very good.
The feather thing seems incongruous to me, but I'm no expert in indigenous art.

Anyone have any info on the feather design and it's meaning?

See the video in post #58 for full explanation. Magpie feathers and wind gets beneath your wings, you take off.

The only one i've particularly liked was the mostly black one from 2017 designed by Nathan Krakouer.

But even then other clubs have done some pretty wonderful things with them that go over and above anything we've done.

The only one i've particularly liked was the mostly black one from 2017 designed by Nathan Krakouer.

But even then other clubs have done some pretty wonderful things with them that go over and above anything we've done.

Last season’s Magpies one was really good.

Art is subjective and if nothing else someone’s creative instincts should be appreciated, not condemned. As Mother said, ‘if you got nothing good to say, nick off’

Kraks’ was great!

Art is subjective

1. This is not actually true.
2. Even if it was, the guernsey is not art, it is design. Design has a purpose and can be assessed on its practical application, aesthetics, and ability to communicate.
3. Finally, even if it was art, and even if art was subjective, this would mean that everyone conveying their response to said art is a valid expression of its 'subjectiveness'.

tl;dr Don't be the gatekeeper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back