List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree and I don't think they will bid but imo it's not in their interest to let a grand finalist get two top 5 selections so in their position I would bid. Sydney could be the wildcard they are strong on Green and may do a swap with Melbourne for the pick on the night.

I wouldn’t put anything past the Swans. We only have to look back to their stealth like capture of Buddy. Fortunately Melbourne really want Jackson otherwise I dare say they would have accepted our offer or offers by now.

Last edited:
I agree and I don't think they will bid but imo it's not in their interest to let a grand finalist get two top 5 selections so in their position I would bid. Sydney could be the wildcard they are strong on Green and may do a swap with Melbourne for the pick on the night.
I don't see this logic - why should Melbourne potentially take a bullet (getting a player they don't want/need) to benefit the likes of West Coast, Richmond and Collingwood?

Good country kid that grew up on a farm where you cannot avoid hard work. Seems very driven, exactly what our group is.

Has anyone seen the GWS nomination of academy talent for the ND? I can't find now anywhere where the date that list was to be lodged by, but presumably it has occurred - I just have not seen anything from GWS or the AFL.

Obviously Tom Green, and presumably Liam Delahunty, but have they nominated James Peatling, Nick Murray, & Michael McGrory?

Seeing all the rumours and looking at our picks/points situation, I'm thinking our selections will look a bit like:
  • pick 4 (presuming Melbourne don't bid on Green) - Ash or Young (I'm torn on who would be best fit for us: speed or precision kicking)
  • match a bid on Green wiping out all remaining picks and a bunch of next year's too
  • 2 of Tom Sheridan, Liam Delahunty & Nick Murray (I'd like Josh Walker to be in that mix too!) for a main list size of 38
We won't have any points to match bids on the academy kids, so anything before pick #56 we've lost them - obviously a price we're willing to pay for whoever we want at #4. Any bids after that, we should be able to match with a non-point-bearing pick.

Then rookie draft would be anyone we didn't get at ND, Zach Sproule, Jake Stein & I wonder if we picked up Nick Murray whether we'd give Sam Murray and go (especially if we took Young at #4)? Maybe James Peatling a chance there as well.

If I had my druthers, and the bids worked out OK, I think I'd go: Ash, Green, Josh Walker (as an experienced backup KPP), Delahunty [both of those pair can play forward & back] in the ND. Then rookie Nick Murray & Peatling automatically, re-select Stein, Sproule & Sheridan (in that order). List size of 38 + 9 = 47.

What are others' speculative thoughts?

Has anyone seen the GWS nomination of academy talent for the ND? I can't find now anywhere where the date that list was to be lodged by, but presumably it has occurred - I just have not seen anything from GWS or the AFL.

Obviously Tom Green, and presumably Liam Delahunty, but have they nominated James Peatling, Nick Murray, & Michael McGrory?

Seeing all the rumours and looking at our picks/points situation, I'm thinking our selections will look a bit like:
  • pick 4 (presuming Melbourne don't bid on Green) - Ash or Young (I'm torn on who would be best fit for us: speed or precision kicking)
  • match a bid on Green wiping out all remaining picks and a bunch of next year's too
  • 2 of Tom Sheridan, Liam Delahunty & Nick Murray (I'd like Josh Walker to be in that mix too!) for a main list size of 38
We won't have any points to match bids on the academy kids, so anything before pick #56 we've lost them - obviously a price we're willing to pay for whoever we want at #4. Any bids after that, we should be able to match with a non-point-bearing pick.

Then rookie draft would be anyone we didn't get at ND, Zach Sproule, Jake Stein & I wonder if we picked up Nick Murray whether we'd give Sam Murray and go (especially if we took Young at #4)? Maybe James Peatling a chance there as well.

If I had my druthers, and the bids worked out OK, I think I'd go: Ash, Green, Josh Walker (as an experienced backup KPP), Delahunty [both of those pair can play forward & back] in the ND. Then rookie Nick Murray & Peatling automatically, re-select Stein, Sproule & Sheridan (in that order). List size of 38 + 9 = 47.

What are others' speculative thoughts?

Nick Bryan is a guy who intrigues me a little. At the start of the year they were calling him a very high draft pick but that seems to have gone away and I’ve seen a number of phantoms where he isn’t even in the top 50. He seems to be a raw tap ruckman standing 202cms, I would think he’s a nice guy to park in the NEAFL for 2 years and to learn predominantly from Sauce whom he resembles. I’m not sure if I’m wrong and he will get picked up through the draft but I reckon he could be a nice speculative late choice??

Last edited:
In my view Young is in the conversation as the second best from this draft, I love Ash and if we can't trade above a Green bid I hope we find a way to get back in around 8 or 9 to get him if Young is off the board, but if they're both available Young is by far and away the better player now, and the better fit for us. When the ball is in his hands the game goes as fast or slow as he wants, whereas Ash is usually a bull at the gate, sprint forward bomb it long. Ash can hit those difficult kicks and does, but Young spots them out better.

As a comparison I think Young's ceiling is Heath Shaw without the tendency to kick it out on the full, Ash is a Saad with stronger defensive attributes and marking, neither bad but offer something very different.

What worries me about Ash over Young is he seems very keen to play in other positions, has said before he wants a go up forward and in the guts as well, whereas Young wants to play as a defender for his whole career, and that's what we'd be drafting either of them for.
I know Ash likes to take the game on but he is not super quick... no where near as quick as Saad. He didn’t finish top 10 in combine tests for 20m sprints. He did finish top 10 for yo-yo.

I know Ash likes to take the game on but he is not super quick... no where near as quick as Saad. He didn’t finish top 10 in combine tests for 20m sprints. He did finish top 10 for yo-yo.
Sam Philp and Finn Maginess finished top 10 in the 20m sprint and they can look like Tonka trucks on field sometimes. Ash has game speed/pace

Sam Philp and Finn Maginess finished top 10 in the 20m sprint and they can look like Tonka trucks on field sometimes. Ash has game speed/pace

Totally agree re game speed. I remember back at school we would play sports and some blokes would be really nippy and hard to catch but those same blokes would get beaten in the 100m in the school carnivals when it was more about technique and being relentless. Ash has game speed and movement, he’s a lot like Saad and also a bit like our Zac.

The longer it drags out the more I think we are leaning towards ash over young. While young will undoubtedly be a good player, he is a little bit dame same compared to the backline. Ash provides a point of difference to the team.

as a country boy he is used to. Ring away from home and would fit in with some of the lads we already have from country NSW and Vic so more likely to stay imo

pick 4 ash match pick 5 green and make next years defecit next years problem

The longer it drags out the more I think we are leaning towards ash over young. While young will undoubtedly be a good player, he is a little bit dame same compared to the backline. Ash provides a point of difference to the team.

as a country boy he is used to. Ring away from home and would fit in with some of the lads we already have from country NSW and Vic so more likely to stay imo

I agree. Having spent the weekend binging entire games I feel it would be hard for us to make a mistake as there are a bunch of really nice options. A guy who really stood out off the footage was Caleb Serong. He’s not a need for us as similarly to Flanders he is a midfielder that can go forward but what a silky Rolls Royce. He is so much like Shaun Higgins. I really like the depth of this draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal Twomey's 2019 Phantom Draft has dropped and once again were linked to Ash but hopefully it plays out the way he has it with Green not getting a bid until pick 10.

Cal Twomey's 2019 Phantom Draft has dropped and once again were linked to Ash but hopefully it plays out the way he has it with Green not getting a bid until pick 10.

Captain, if that played out and with 20% discount would that leave us in deficit of 383 for next year? If so it’s not too bad and with players to trade out at the end of next year should allow us to come back into next years draft. Maybe upgrade from 3rd round back into 2nd?

I think Ash is a really good young player. I just think Young could be a star after a couple of years. I think Ash gets a game on our team before Young but Young has the higher ceiling.

I reckon because we have already sold the farm to get to 4, clubs will see it as a way to screw us further because we can't trade back down after using it.
Maybe as freo this year, Sydney next year have academy players, they don't want to start a chain reaction.
Maybe freo don't think green would like Perth, he probably wants to live in a bigger city than Canberra or Perth, like melbourne or sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back