List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Great behind the scenes footage by the club there

I wonder if the desire to get up and get riccardi In was driven by some insight that we wouldn’t be able to (or won’t) match a strong contract offer for TOJat the end of the year

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I wonder if the desire to get up and get riccardi In was driven by some insight that we wouldn’t be able to (or won’t) match a strong contract offer for TOJat the end of the year.
I think just list size in KPF wise - 3 normal first graders plus 2 rookied-listed players as backup - we just needed an additional number. I'd hope they'd be optimistic about keeping TOJ, but mindful that if he did depart we would be threadbare without that extra KPF.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I thought TOJ would have his head turned by some large offers during the trade period but i am happy he stayed and hopefully he can repeat his form from most of the year although he had a few quiet games and sometimes his effort wasnt what it should have been I think it will depend on the performances of several OOC players and it will be a juggling act SC wise but if you think really only Bonar left this year it will be interesting to see how the contracts play out through the year
I think one of Caldwell, Hately or O'Halloran will look at some options depending on how much AFL action they see
Perryman is one to look at as well as a strong year could see his contract expectations rise although both he and TOJ being from the academy and part of the best 22 hopefully stay and sign extensions

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
9506A7B5-0677-4017-8B9C-2FC8B7F84DA7.jpeg

What a majestic day!!!

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Ladies and Gentlemen, the tin foil hat brigade is taking it to a whole new level.

Proof - I tell ya! PROOF!!!!!

I did my Supercoach team using all AFL Giants players. Even with the lowest priced players, I was $3.6 million over the cap !!!??? Go figure

F#*king SuperCoach now.

Last edited:
OMFG there are some absolute tinfoil-hat-wearing, fu**brained morons on the Hawks board. A couple of reasonable posters trying to hold back the tide - hopefully they don't drown. Talk about 'mindfu**ed'!!!
I gave up, I'd rather reason with 2 year olds then some of their pet w***ers

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
Have we been utilising our rookie list well over the years?

had a look today and felt that we seem to only use it for lifelines and mature agers

is this the right choice or should we be taking on more long term high ceiling types in the rookie draft?

Rookie list

Pick 1 - Steve Clifton (Bust)
Pick 2 - Rhys Cooyou (Bust)
Pick 3 - Jonathan Giles (Hit)
Pick 4 - Andrew Phillips (Hit)
Pick 5 - Jimmi Savage (Bust)
Pick 6 - Isiah Stevens (Bust)

Pick 1 - Sam Frost (Hit)

Pick 51 - Joseph Redfern (Bust)
Pick 54 - Zachary Williams (Hit)

Pick 1 - Sam Schulz (Bust)

Nil

Pick 8 - Samuel Reid (Hit)
Pick 26 - Daniel Lloyd (Hit)

Pick 15 - Tendai Mzungu (Bust)
Pick 32 - Joel Patfull (N/A)

Pick 15 - Dylan Buckley (Bust)
Pick 29 - Samuel Reid (Hit)

Nil

Pick 15 - Jake Stein (N/A)
Pick 28 - Thomas Sheridan (N/A)
Pick 36 - Zachary Sproule (N/A)

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Have we been utilising our rookie list well over the years?

had a look today and felt that we seem to only use it for lifelines and mature agers

is this the right choice or should we be taking on more long term high ceiling types in the rookie draft?

Rookie list

Pick 1 - Steve Clifton (Bust)
Pick 2 - Rhys Cooyou (Bust)
Pick 3 - Jonathan Giles (Hit)
Pick 4 - Andrew Phillips (Hit)
Pick 5 - Jimmi Savage (Bust)
Pick 6 - Isiah Stevens (Bust)

Pick 1 - Sam Frost (Hit)

Pick 51 - Joseph Redfern (Bust)
Pick 54 - Zachary Williams (Hit)

Pick 1 - Sam Schulz (Bust)

Nil

Pick 8 - Samuel Reid (Hit)
Pick 26 - Daniel Lloyd (Hit)

Pick 15 - Tendai Mzungu (Bust)
Pick 32 - Joel Patfull (N/A)

Pick 15 - Dylan Buckley (Bust)
Pick 29 - Samuel Reid (Hit)

Nil

Pick 15 - Jake Stein (N/A)
Pick 28 - Thomas Sheridan (N/A)
Pick 36 - Zachary Sproule (N/A)
It is an interesting discussion. But the number of hits over the years would say it has been used pretty well I would think.

you mention high ceiling types... is there such a thing in a rookie draft?

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I would say similar to our main draft, some hits but some misses. What your list doesn't show coniglio_number1 are the Category B selections - so add in 2016 - Jake Stein & Zach Sproule (their initial selection rather than this year's re-drafting) and 2017 - Callum Brown (from Ireland): however, probably too early to determine if they are hits or misses, although certainly not instant successes such as, for example, a Sydney Stack.

I'd agree that we're not using it to find enough young gems in the rough (Zac Williams being the only real find), but have used it for a range of options - the recycled player (Reid being moderately successful, but Mzungu not), the overage punt (Dan Lloyd being moderately successful), the other sport player (Jake Stein progressing OK but not an Alex Keath level of success), the international dip (Callum Brown being our first).

I would like to see us use it on a dip for a younger player at least one per year - perhaps this year a Nick Murray selection, or in past years on someone like a Sydney Stack or Tim Kelly (yes - vastly easier in hindsight) - but I'm not too worried by using it for a range of approaches.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
With all the lists pretty much finalised it will be interesting to see the age spread on the list and from a few articles the squad is slightly above the median for age and experience but what is interesting in the loss of Tomlinson and Patton is that the spike from the 25/26 age players from the original draft is more in the normal range

Ages are from now

18 2 Ash Green
19 5 Brown Caldwell Hately Hill Idun O'Halloran
20 5 Briggs Daniels Riccardi Shipley Taylor
21 4 Cumming Perryman Sproule Taranto
22 3 Buckley Flynn Hopper
23 2 TOJ HH
24 3 Hutchesson Kelly Langdon
25 3 Corr Williams Whitfield
26 6 Buntine Cameron Coniglio Greene Sheridan Stein
27 3 Haynes Kennedy Lloyd
29 4 Davis De Boer Keefe Ward
30 1 Reid
31 1 Jacobs
33 1 Mumford
34 1 Shaw

The spike from the original draft in 2011 has gone and only 6 names left on the list from that draft and I think 3 at the Pies and plenty of youth to play in the NEAFL with I count only 4 best 22 players under 22 but I am sure that will change by the end of the year with Hill, Hately, Caldwell and X pushing for spots
Surprised Buckley is still on the list but with Tomlinson leaving maybe the opportunity will present for a tall wingman and it could be a battle through the year between him and Sproule for a list spot in 2021
8 veterans on the list which I think is the most the club has ever had which will hopefully lead to composed performances and winning the close games and all the list would have learnt about that from the Lions and Pies games in the finals

Games Played

0 9 Ash Green Brown O'Halloran Briggs Buckley Flynn Riccardi Hutchesson
1-20 8 Hill Cumming Hately Stein Caldwell Shipley Idun Sproule
21-50 6 Lloyd TOJ Perryman Daniels Taylor Langdon
50-100 7 Reid Corr Sheridan Hopper Taranto Buntine Keefe
100-200 11 Mumford De Boer Davis Cameron Greene Coniglio Whitfield Haynes Kelly Kennedy Williams
>200 3 Shaw Ward Jacobs

I think the list is lacking in games played experience but that is due to the amount of trading out the club had to do due to list size, salary cap and players seeking opportunities elsewhere but hopefully the club can keep the key players on the park and also sign most of the OOC players. i think it will be 1 of the high picks from the 2018 draft that will seek opportunities at the end of the year and it will be interesting to follow the form of Caldwell, Hately and O'Halloran during the year

Back