List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
The Giants were pleased when Essendon took Cox and then Perkins, with both later down their order, but were hoping that Reid was available to them given their stranglehold on the next part of the draft. They had identified Reid, Bruhn, Heath Chapman and Connor Stone as the four players they were targeting for their first two picks, but still would have taken Bruhn ahead of Reid if both were available at pick 10. That is because Reid was unlikely to be selected by North Melbourne and Fremantle in between but Bruhn was expected to be snapped up by the Dockers. The Giants had also arranged a deal with North Melbourne whereby if Adelaide had taken Stone instead of Pedlar, leaving Bruhn and Chapman both available, the Giants would have swapped (what started the draft as) picks 13 and 26 for pick 11 to ensure they could get ahead of Fremantle and grab both their priorities.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
No 17 : someone already here moving down?
No 34 for the women : appropriate
Thanks for your service Braydon Preuss.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Is he any good?
Mustn’t be seen to have much potential. Took Sam Reid ahead of him.

Good luck to the kid.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
And another academy product to go elsewhere and kill it.

I mean not like we don’t need utilities..........
How many of our academy products that we haven't drafted ourselves actually been that successful elsewhere? Even from the ones we've traded Setterfield (and presumably Williams) are the only ones hurting currently, off the top of my head at least

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
How many of our academy products that we haven't drafted ourselves actually been that successful elsewhere? Even from the ones we've traded Setterfield (and presumably Williams) are the only ones hurting currently, off the top of my head at least
mutch and mccreadie delisted, off the top of my head.

academies have a larger role to play than just top flight talent though don’t forget

at least, ours do

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
mutch and mccreadie delisted, off the top of my head.

academies have a larger role than just top flight talent though don’t forget
No doubt, but I can't think of anyone we've let slip through the draft that has gone on to be anything of note, I trust our recruiting teams track record up until this point when it comes to Green, and the way I see it is Green isn't the clear choice for Tigers free list spot there

And another academy product to go elsewhere and kill it.

I mean not like we don’t need utilities..........
TBF how many have our guys gone elsewhere that we regret.
I can't think of any we have missed

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Here's a list of GWS Academy kids selected by AFL clubs - including GWS selections.

35 selections, of which GWS took 17. Of this 17, we've lost 3 to other clubs (Williams, Steele & Setterfield) and moved on 4 (Redfern, Tiziani plus 2 via other clubs Barrett, Kennedy), while retaining 10 (Finlayson, Hopper, HH, Flynn, Perryman, Cumming, Sproule, Shipley, Briggs, Green). 2 of those moved on were rookie selections, so a fairly good hit rate from the guys we picked up although arguably only some of those (perhaps 5?) will have lengthy careers.

Of the 18 taken by other clubs, 8 remain on lists (Cunningham, Howard, Garthwaite, Lynch, Spargo, Brander, Smith, Koschitzke) and 10 have been moved on in short order (King, Austin, Cornell, Coughlan, Galloway, Mutch, Macreadie, Fisher, Langlands, Walker). Of the 8 still going round, GWS didn't have access to directly select 4 of them (Spargo, Brander, Smith & Koschitzke) although it could conceivably have taken all at available picks in the open draft, but obviously felt there were better options with the full picks needed to use. At this point, arguably 7 of those 8 are only so-so with having lengthy careers, with only Harry Cunningham - the first ''overlooked'' - having a 100+ game career to date.

So, I agree that our recruiters do have a pretty good sense of who's likely to succeed and who won't.

NameFromDraftClubs
Harry CunninghamTurvey Park, NSWPick 93, 2012 Rookie Draft (Swans)Sydney Swans
Zac WilliamsNarrandera, NSWPick 55, 2013 Rookie Draft - GIANTS Academy selection GIANTS
Joseph RedfernCoolamon, NSWPick 51, 2013 Rookie Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS
Jake Barrett Temora, NSWPick 97, 2013 National Darft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS, Brisbane Lions
Max KingWagga Wagga, NSWPick 19, 2014 Rookie Draft (Melbourne)Melbourne
Jack SteeleBelconnen, ACTPick 24, 2014 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS, St Kilda
Logan AustinBelconnen, ACTPick 69, 2014 National Draft (Port Adelaide)Port Adelaide, St Kilda
Dougal HowardWagga Wagga, NSWPick 56, 2014 National Draft (Port Adelaide)Port Adelaide, St Kilda
Jeremy FinlaysonCulcairn, NSWPick 85, 2014 National Draft - GIANTS Academy selectionGIANTS
Jacob HopperLeeton-Whitton, NSWPick 7, 2015 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS
Matthew KennedyCollingullie, NSWPick 13, 2015 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS, Carlton
Harry HimmelbergEastlake, ACTPick 16, 2015 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS
Matthew FlynnNarrandera, NSWPick 41, 2015 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS
Jock CornellMangoplah, NSWPick 9, 2015 Rookie Draft (Geelong)Geelong
Nick CoughlanAlbury, NSWPick 23, 2015 Rookie Draft (St Kilda)St Kilda
Kyle GallowayDeniliquin, NSWPick 59, 2015 Rookie Draft (Swans)Sydney Swans
Will SetterfieldAlbury, NSWPick 5, 2016 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS, Carlton
Harry PerrymanCollingullie, NSWPick 14, 2016 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS
Isaac CummingNorth Broken Hill, NSWPick 20, 2016 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS
Kobe MutchGol Gol, NSWPick 42, 2016 National Draft (Essendon)Essendon
Harrison MacreadieHenty, NSWPick 47, 2016 National Draft (Carlton)Carlton
Lachlan TizianiAlbury, NSWPick 54, 2016 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS
Ryan GarthwaiteCorowa-Rutherglen, NSWPick 72, 2016 National Draft (Richmond)Richmond
Zachary SprouleAlbury, NSWAcademy Selection - 2017 Rookie DraftGIANTS
Sam FisherAinslie, ACTCategory B Rookie - 2017 Rookie Draft (Swans)Sydney Swans
Max LynchAlbury, NSWPick 51, 2017 Rookie Draft (Collingwood)Collingwood
Nick ShipleyCampbelltown, NSWPick 64, 2017 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS
Charlie SpargoAlbury, NSWPick 29, 2017 National Draft (Melbourne)Melbourne
Jarrod BranderWentworth, NSWPick 13, 2017 National Draft (West Coast)West Coast
Doulton LanglandsNorth Albury, NSWPick 8, 2018 Rookie Draft (St Kilda)St Kilda
Kieren BriggsPennant Hills, NSWPick 34, 2018 National Draft (GIANTS)GIANTS
Ely SmithWestern Sydney, NSWPick 21, 2018 National Draft (Brisbane Lions)Brisbane Lions
Jacob KoschitzkeAlbury, NSWPick 52, 2018 National Draft (Hawthorn)Hawthorn
Mathew WalkerSavernake, NSWPick 63, 2018 National Draft (Hawthorn)Hawthorn
Tom GreenTorrens, ACTPick 10, 2019 National Draft – GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Here's a list of GWS Academy kids selected by AFL clubs - including GWS selections.

35 selections, of which GWS took 17. Of this 17, we've lost 3 to other clubs (Williams, Steele & Setterfield) and moved on 4 (Redfern, Tiziani plus 2 via other clubs Barrett, Kennedy), while retaining 10 (Finlayson, Hopper, HH, Flynn, Perryman, Cumming, Sproule, Shipley, Briggs, Green). 2 of those moved on were rookie selections, so a fairly good hit rate from the guys we picked up although arguably only some of those (perhaps 5?) will have lengthy careers.

Of the 18 taken by other clubs, 8 remain on lists (Cunningham, Howard, Garthwaite, Lynch, Spargo, Brander, Smith, Koschitzke) and 10 have been moved on in short order (King, Austin, Cornell, Coughlan, Galloway, Mutch, Macreadie, Fisher, Langlands, Walker). Of the 8 still going round, GWS didn't have access to directly select 4 of them (Spargo, Brander, Smith & Koschitzke) although it could conceivably have taken all at available picks in the open draft, but obviously felt there were better options with the full picks needed to use. At this point, arguably 7 of those 8 are only so-so with having lengthy careers, with only Harry Cunningham - the first ''overlooked'' - having a 100+ game career to date.

So, I agree that our recruiters do have a pretty good sense of who's likely to succeed and who won't.

NameFromDraftClubs
Harry CunninghamTurvey Park, NSWPick 93, 2012 Rookie Draft (Swans)Sydney Swans
Zac WilliamsNarrandera, NSWPick 55, 2013 Rookie Draft - GIANTS Academy selection GIANTS
Joseph RedfernCoolamon, NSWPick 51, 2013 Rookie Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS
Jake BarrettTemora, NSWPick 97, 2013 National Darft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS, Brisbane Lions
Max KingWagga Wagga, NSWPick 19, 2014 Rookie Draft (Melbourne)Melbourne
Jack SteeleBelconnen, ACTPick 24, 2014 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS, St Kilda
Logan AustinBelconnen, ACTPick 69, 2014 National Draft (Port Adelaide)Port Adelaide, St Kilda
Dougal HowardWagga Wagga, NSWPick 56, 2014 National Draft (Port Adelaide)Port Adelaide, St Kilda
Jeremy FinlaysonCulcairn, NSWPick 85, 2014 National Draft - GIANTS Academy selectionGIANTS
Jacob HopperLeeton-Whitton, NSWPick 7, 2015 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS
Matthew KennedyCollingullie, NSWPick 13, 2015 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS, Carlton
Harry HimmelbergEastlake, ACTPick 16, 2015 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS
Matthew FlynnNarrandera, NSWPick 41, 2015 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS
Jock CornellMangoplah, NSWPick 9, 2015 Rookie Draft (Geelong)Geelong
Nick CoughlanAlbury, NSWPick 23, 2015 Rookie Draft (St Kilda)St Kilda
Kyle GallowayDeniliquin, NSWPick 59, 2015 Rookie Draft (Swans)Sydney Swans
Will SetterfieldAlbury, NSWPick 5, 2016 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS, Carlton
Harry PerrymanCollingullie, NSWPick 14, 2016 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS
Isaac CummingNorth Broken Hill, NSWPick 20, 2016 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS
Kobe MutchGol Gol, NSWPick 42, 2016 National Draft (Essendon)Essendon
Harrison MacreadieHenty, NSWPick 47, 2016 National Draft (Carlton)Carlton
Lachlan TizianiAlbury, NSWPick 54, 2016 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS
Ryan GarthwaiteCorowa-Rutherglen, NSWPick 72, 2016 National Draft (Richmond)Richmond
Zachary SprouleAlbury, NSWAcademy Selection - 2017 Rookie DraftGIANTS
Sam FisherAinslie, ACTCategory B Rookie - 2017 Rookie Draft (Swans)Sydney Swans
Max LynchAlbury, NSWPick 51, 2017 Rookie Draft (Collingwood)Collingwood
Nick ShipleyCampbelltown, NSWPick 64, 2017 National Draft - GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS
Charlie SpargoAlbury, NSWPick 29, 2017 National Draft (Melbourne)Melbourne
Jarrod BranderWentworth, NSWPick 13, 2017 National Draft (West Coast)West Coast
Doulton LanglandsNorth Albury, NSWPick 8, 2018 Rookie Draft (St Kilda)St Kilda
Kieren BriggsPennant Hills, NSWPick 34, 2018 National Draft (GIANTS)GIANTS
Ely SmithWestern Sydney, NSWPick 21, 2018 National Draft (Brisbane Lions)Brisbane Lions
Jacob KoschitzkeAlbury, NSWPick 52, 2018 National Draft (Hawthorn)Hawthorn
Mathew WalkerSavernake, NSWPick 63, 2018 National Draft (Hawthorn)Hawthorn
Tom GreenTorrens, ACTPick 10, 2019 National Draft – GIANTS Academy SelectionGIANTS

Marshall & Himmleberg The Younger were both in the academy too, but not at point of draft. should they count too?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Marshall & Himmleberg The Younger were both in the academy too, but not at point of draft. should they count too?
E Himmelberg we didn't have access to either, moved up to Queensland in his draft year so became no ones =( Same thing happening with Josh Fahey for 2021, real shame considering our need for his sort

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Tigers will be coming after Tom Green so hard.

They would given those metrics - Himmelberg had the same situation as Ely Smith.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Tigers will be coming after Tom Green so hard.
I know people disagree with this but to keep him, I reckon we’ll need to trade Hopper. Geelong will come for Hopper, and we would get a first rd pick for him.
Taranto, Hopper and Green don’t all fit imo.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Phase 2 Academy list has been announced:

Capture - academy ph2 2021.PNG

So, Sam Stening & Kai Watts as previously discussed are two of the higher rated kids. Interestingly, Josh Fahey still appears in our academy list - and I noticed the AFL Academy list published recently still had him as GWS academy. I wonder if he or his family have returned to Canberra and he's been allowed to reintegrate.

P.S. Josh Green in this list too - obviously, not an overager as the whole team has become an U19 team.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
nterestingly, Josh Fahey still appears in our academy list - and I noticed the AFL Academy list published recently still had him as GWS academy. I wonder if he or his family have returned to Canberra and he's been allowed to reintegrate.
This is very unusual, I'm not complaining if it's how it'll end up, but even I raise an eyebrow to that

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
This is very unusual, I'm not complaining if it's how it'll end up, but even I raise an eyebrow to that
Have you heard anything through AFL channels?

I saw the AFL Academy list and was surprised ... but thought maybe they were just being careless. But two different press releases is either exceedingly careless, or there's something there. As you say, it would be odd. I guess we'll see what plays out in the next 12 months.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Have you heard anything through AFL channels?

I saw the AFL Academy list and was surprised ... but thought maybe they were just being careless. But two different press releases is either exceedingly careless, or there's something there. As you say, it would be odd. I guess we'll see what plays out in the next 12 months.
I haven't heard anything bar what's been put out, most people don't know whats going on with Academies at the best of times, but two releases, one being from the club, suggests he's still part of the academy in that case, which goes against everything I previously understood about relocation and such. Possible that he didn't permanently move/ change his address and is returning to Sydney?

Back