Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

You must have missed where I took Kennedy out of the side.

Charlie
Harry
TDK
Casboult
Kennedy
McGovern

I don’t want to see any more than 3 of the above in the same forward line.

To suggest the forward line I put forward lacks structure, is just silly.
I get his point though, one out one in similar player same structure.

Made the venture to the ground and had a look at the boys live for the first time since home and away finished up last year.
Like harks has stated, I also thought the skills were really good considering how wet it was!
All the guys look so different now compared to last year, all look fitter and more like grown men a lot better strength wise as well.

Was honey no.36. Harker?
He was outstanding in my eyes really stood out looks strong, confident and explosive!! Definitely looking forward to what he produces in the praccy games!
Thought tdk looked really good in the Ruck moved well.
Cunners looks so good!! Fit, strong with his trademark moving!
All the usuals stood out and where fantastic Cripps, setters, Murphy,Ed,Walsh,doc ect!! All look in great nic! Gee Eddie is going to cause havoc in our forward line lol
Spoken briefly to the following on fence line:
McGovern said he’s ready to go.
Williamson said he’s really excited to play Thursday.
Mackay said he’s traveling fine and on track(for round one I’m presuming)

Made the venture to the ground and had a look at the boys live for the first time since home and away finished up last year.
Like harks has stated, I also thought the skills were really good considering how wet it was!
All the guys look so different now compared to last year, all look fitter and more like grown men a lot better strength wise as well.

Was honey no.36. Harker?
He was outstanding in my eyes really stood out looks strong, confident and explosive!! Definitely looking forward to what he produces in the praccy games!
Thought tdk looked really good in the Ruck moved well.
Cunners looks so good!! Fit, strong with his trademark moving!
All the usuals stood out and where fantastic Cripps, setters, Murphy,Ed,Walsh,doc ect!! All look in great nic! Gee Eddie is going to cause havoc in our forward line lol
Spoken briefly to the following on fence line:
McGovern said he’s ready to go.
Williamson said he’s really excited to play Thursday.
Mackay said he’s traveling fine and on track(for round one I’m presuming)

Thanks for the report Lukeblueboy

Just catching up on the reports, (thanks to all that posted). Has Harry been ruled out for round 1?, have I missed something?. I know he's behind the 8 ball as far as pre season goes but he's up and running last time I checked.

Just catching up on the reports, (thanks to all that posted). Has Harry been ruled out for round 1?, have I missed something?. I know he's behind the 8 ball as far as pre season goes but he's up and running last time I checked.

Seems like coaching staff think he is on track for round 1, McKay seems to think he is on track for round 1, but his low level of involvement in training currently leaves much doubt as to his readiness.

I think we are in a watch and wait phase.

My guess is Harry will play round 1, but won't be 100%...

If Charlie was playing and Harry wasn't 100%, then Harry might miss.

But with Charlie out, I think Harry will be 'if he's close enough, he's good enough'.

Russell has introduced somewhat of a 'you don't play until you are rebuilt' mantra. But at the end of the day, there are always competitive realities (and calculated risks) to deal with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My guess is Harry will play round 1, but won't be 100%...
For me his no more than 30/70 chance, love him playing but seems a big risk...
Can't think why would we play him when til this very moment all his done is laps run throughs and a few kicking drills, personally i just can't see him being fit enough too compete for a full game on the very limited preseason his had up too now...
Imo he would have to get through at least one full preseason game if not two and show a fair bit that gives us the confidence he would be worth the punt...

Ben Silvagni looks like he’s also added some size! Was funny they had Ben and jack playing on each other in the match sim at times. Also they were paired up in a one on one drill on the wing and I think Ben one the points against jack!! Could see jack getting a little frustrated lol
Stocker looks in really good Nic as well, really good build on him!

It's like we are playing for sheep stations

Why would we play Harry or any other player if they weren't close to full fitness

You lot are really impatient
100% Arr0w.....as much as we'd love everyone to be up and running for the opening round, I would much rather take the conservative approach....which seems to the be the policy that Jacky Russell employs....

The last thing we want is for H to limp off during the Tiggs game that leaves us one short for the game, as well as him having an extended spell on the sidelines. Hypothetical...we lose round 1, but a match fit H comes back the following round, and we win the next 5 or 6 games.

I trust Russell and his crew to make the correct call, and give players the thumbs up when they are match fit.

It's like we are playing for sheep stations

Why would we play Harry or any other player if they weren't close to full fitness

You lot are really impatient

By the same token, if we’re not putting players on the park unless they’re 100%, we’ll be fielding 16 man teams.

These guys are paid to play football, not sit in grandstands.

Sometimes you just have to put up with the pain.

There’s plenty of factors. Ability to read the ball/play to stay involved is a massive one too: be it ball in hand, defending the man and using space both offensively and defensively. It you’re always in the right spot you don’t necessarily have to be faster/more mobile/etc than your opponent.

In the middle we’ve got Ed and Walsh, both great runners, then Murph who’s pretty good and Cripps who seemingly has improved in that area too. Setters appears to be running well, then there’s the likes of Cuningham, Fisher and Martin who’ll rotate through and possibly Newnes/O’Brien. Age Footy published an article this arvo (?) about Marchbank possibly playing on a wing, and we’ve all heard the recent comments about him being our 4th or 5th best runner.

Could be a starting lineup like this:
FB: Plow, Jones, Simpson
HB: Doc, Weit, SPS
FOL: Kreuz, Murph, Ed
C: Marbank, Cripps, Wash
HF: Martin, Levi, DC
FF: Eddie, Harry, Gov
INT: Newman, Setters, Fish, Newnes/Jack/O’Brien/Kennedy/Gibbons/Dow/etc

Marchbank the defensive winger, back side of the square and effectively acting as the 7th on field defender, DC and Martin coming up, etc. We could see Doc, SPS, Simmo and Newman at times venture higher up the ground from their defensive posts too... we all know Newy loves having a ping from 50 out...

There’s a decent spread of running types - endurance, burst, silky steps, etc - and I don’t think there‘s too many plodders.

It’s going to be really interesting watching it shape up with the preseason games in the lead up to round 1.
I LIKE IT:carlton:

I saw in the Teague interview he mentioned that the 4 guys training with us will all be having a run in the practice match on Thursday so I guess that means they are eligible to play in practice matches at least if not the official pre season games.

By the same token, if we’re not putting players on the park unless they’re 100%, we’ll be fielding 16 man teams.

These guys are paid to play football, not sit in grandstands.

Sometimes you just have to put up with the pain.

That I agree with, especially if we are in the cut and thrust of finals and or if there is no chance of long term damage

But I just don't get the obsession of playing McKay if he is no where near reasonable fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back