Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Dude it was like 58 degrees that day when Pav collapsed.
+ Pav had flown in the night before not in great condition and iirc hadn’t really prepared for training

Great news and add this to Sturt back at training today, those two looking to be great draft choices in the one year.

IMO Valente was in the mix for our 1st rounder as Sturt was speculative at the time. Once we could do a deal we traded up to get him. Perfect timing as he had injuries and reason he slipped. We were comfortable to hold out a year or two to get him going. Captain of a dominant SA team that crushed the state champs at a minimum gives him exceptional character and leadership. Lead a team of future AA stars Rankine, Rozee , Lukosius, Duursma, Hately...
Then given Pavs 29

IMO Valente was in the mix for our 1st rounder as Sturt was speculative at the time. Once we could do a deal we traded up to get him. Perfect timing as he had injuries and reason he slipped. We were comfortable to hold out a year or two to get him going. Captain of a dominant SA team that crushed the state champs at a minimum gives him exceptional character and leadership. Lead a team of future AA stars Rankine, Rozee , Lukosius, Duursma, Hately...
Then given Pavs 29
He's a sleeper - going to absolutely dominate.

Then given Pavs 29
He’s the one I am most excited about. I honestly think being dual sided is the most underrated aspect of football players. He’s got a big body, clear leadership qualities and he is going to be very hungry after missing so much footy.
I have said it before but I honestly think an onball division featuring Valente and Serong will cause nightmares for opposition coaches in years to come.

Then given Pavs 29
Duursma is from Gippsland country Victoria.

He’s the one I am most excited about. I honestly think being dual sided is the most underrated aspect of football players. He’s got a big body, clear leadership qualities and he is going to be very hungry after missing so much footy.
I have said it before but I honestly think an onball division featuring Valente and Serong will cause nightmares for opposition coaches in years to come.
Valente and Serong are about as close as I can imagine to Mundy and Neale replacements. A little different, but similar attributes and roles.

looks a bit slow.
Heard a great interview with Simon Black following his HOF. He talked about the beginning of his career, where not only was he seen as a bit slow travelling across the ground, but also lightly framed to boot. He pretty much had to make his thing quick quality decision making once he got the ball in hand, as he wasn't going to get away from anyone and couldn't really physically impose his way through either.

He looks like he has decent core strength too, being able to stop on a dime and shrug off tacklers is a lot more valuable than raw pace for an inside mid. he should go ok once he gets up to the speed of the game, I have a sneaky suspicion he'll adapt a lot quicker in that area than AB/Cerra.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a sleeper - going to absolutely dominate.
He was bossing around Fyfe and stood his ground when Nat pushed him back. Valente is pretty big and hardly skinny next to Fyfe. Definitely has developed his body and a professional attitude.

Frustrating that Henry STILL isnt in full training, I need to see him in purple
It’s more of a developmental precaution. A dislocated knee cap, with a hindered season, not really necessary to push him to play this season,
well for the first few rounds.

Speed is overrated, as is size imo.
Haselby wasn't quick, but he was a very good footy player
Palmer was as well, then tragically both did their ACL. Never came back after that.
Another one is my favourite, Barlow. Awkward running style, you’d think he was slow but gee he could play. 30+ disposals and could kick 3 goals to back it up.

Then given Pavs 29
Gee that SA team was stacked. Valente was meant to be late first round/early second. Stoked he slid to us. If he develops nicely, would definitely be a great midfield core of Brayshaw, Cerra, Valente, Young and Serong (Sturt could be a winger later on..)

looks a bit slow.
I've watched a bit of this guy, he has that rare ability to see outside of the immediate bubble of the contest, rather than a quick handball to the bloke 2 metres away (under just as much pressure) he has that knack of getting the pill to a team mate on the outside. Sam Mitchell had an outstanding career largely because he could do just that.

Gee that SA team was stacked. Valente was meant to be late first round/early second. Stoked he slid to us. If he develops nicely, would definitely be a great midfield core of Brayshaw, Cerra, Valente, Young and Serong (Sturt could be a winger later on..)

I have a sneaky suspicion Sturt will continue on as a mid-sized forward and Young will be a key part of our backline in years to come.

Speed is overrated, as is size imo.
Haselby wasn't quick, but he was a very good footy player

There’s plenty of examples of inside mids that are/were slow.

It’s all to do with the mix of players you’ve got imo. A team of slow players would really suck.

There’s plenty of examples of inside mids that are/were slow.

It’s all to do with the mix of players you’ve got imo. A team of slow players would really suck.

Isn't that Adelaide and Melbournes problem right now? Too many inside midfielders who can collect the ball, but a team that struggle with the speed and disposal skills to use that advantage?

I know your just spit-balling but I think it’s an interesting discussion. Who is more valuable or hard to replace. Gunston or Smith. While different positions, I think a medium forward who can tackle and kick/ set-up goals is more important than a wing position.

I’d love for Sturt to run through the midfield, but only if it’s through the centre or we might lose more than we gain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back