Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Following on from the success of our recent trade periods discussion, I reckon Reece Conca has been an astute pick-up. His ball use makes me feel sick (that turnover with 15 seconds to go in the third quarter against the Eagles last season), but for what we got him for he has performed very well in my opinion. Good bloke and leader too.

He's someone I'd ideally like to see replaced, but he's done everything we could have asked for. Provided some much needed experience and leadership while not being a total liability.

Laughed out loud. I'm a Cam fan but this is funny.
Joel Hamling, Alex Pearce (both ankle), Matt Taberner (back), Sam Switkowski (back), Stefan Giro (knee), Cam McCarthy (dizziness) and Liam Henry were among those missing.

Only Cam could miss a match with dizziness. At times being a freo fan is hard, but never boring.

Big call. Do spuds like Colyer, Banfield, Crowden and Schultz make this premiership team?

Depends on the role they play.. if it’s negating other teams best players, sure maybe.

If it’s as game breakers, mmmm maybe not.

Not every player needs to be a game breaker, role players can make other players more effective.

Fyfe acknowledges that in his Brownlow speech.

Its all about balance.

Big call. Do spuds like Colyer, Banfield, Crowden and Schultz make this premiership team?

Colyer will be gone I imagine.

Crowden I'm bullish on to be a possible b25 or depth player.

Schultz if he can get back to that Marsh form will also be handy b25 or depth material, although I'm not convinced on his ceiling.

Banfield shows a lot of potential state league, but struggles to back it up AFL level. If he pull that Q4 Marsh performance against WC in AFL games I'm more than happy to retain him.

After reading this training report, looking at the training photos, and listening to Cerra's presser, my enthusiasm for the next four weeks on a scale of 1 to 10 is at a very unhealthy 34.5. I'm so excited to see all our young boys in live action.

:freo:🤪🤪:freo:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on the role they play.. if it’s negating other teams best players, sure maybe.

If it’s as game breakers, mmmm maybe not.

Not every player needs to be a game breaker, role players can make other players more effective.

Fyfe acknowledges that in his Brownlow speech.

Its all about balance.
Plenty of teams have role players and lift the cup, it's just very unlikely that they
Go back to back, or are remembered for greatness.
You don't have to go too far back with Mastern and Venables.
Our best teams were probably 05/06? But we were feared more under Ross with his
Foot soldiers.
We have yet to see both, or get the timing right, AFL orchestrate in our favour.
Bulldogs? Have to say a week off before finals will work better for WA teams.
Freo girls just proves its bias, and how common sense with the Wildcats highlights
How poorly run our national competition is.

No.

Conca is about the level of a good bottom six player in a top four side, in some cases he’s probably a better player than that. He’s better than bottom six in our 2013 side.

The above four guys aren’t even near that level imo.

No.

Conca is about the level of a good bottom six player in a top four side, in some cases he’s probably a better player than that. He’s better than bottom six in our 2013 side.

The above four guys aren’t even near that level imo.
Agreed. Conca’s leadership and general enthusiasm is brilliant and shouldn’t be understated.

From what I have seen he generally plays within his limitations but has the occasional brain fade where he thinks he has absorbed Simon Black’s kicking skills. Thankfully it doesn’t happen too often. Cam Sutcliffe for eg.had a lot more frequent brain fades resulting in more frequent costly turnovers.

There are some like SHill, Wilson and Young that need to be encouraged to pull the trigger and not lauded for errors. There are others like Conca, DeBoer and Sutcliffe that need to play to their strengths, which is definitely not pulling off difficult kicks.

I agree with an earlier post that DeBoer was cut too early. Never understood it myself and RTB admitted this mistake. I could understand Barlow being cut but not DeBoer.

Agreed. Conca’s leadership and general enthusiasm is brilliant and shouldn’t be understated.

From what I have seen he generally plays within his limitations but has the occasional brain fade where he thinks he has absorbed Simon Black’s kicking skills. Thankfully it doesn’t happen too often. Cam Sutcliffe for eg.had a lot more frequent brain fades resulting in more frequent costly turnovers.

There are some like SHill, Wilson and Young that need to be encouraged to pull the trigger and not lauded for errors. There are others like Conca, DeBoer and Sutcliffe that need to play to their strengths, which is definitely not pulling off difficult kicks.

I agree with an earlier post that DeBoer was cut too early. Never understood it myself and RTB admitted this mistake. I could understand Barlow being cut but not DeBoer.

When you’re 26 years old, aren’t injured, uncontracted and play four games for the year you’re always getting cut. It’s pretty much how AFL List Management works.

The question should be why De Boer was so out of favour in the first place when Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Suban and D.Pearce (among others) were running around most weeks.

There’s the issue of contracts too but that probably cost Barlow rather than De Boer tbh.

When you’re 26 years old, aren’t injured, uncontracted and play four games for the year you’re always getting cut. It’s pretty much how AFL List Management works.

The question should be why De Boer was so out of favour in the first place when Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Suban and D.Pearce (among others) were running around most weeks.

There’s the issue of contracts too but that probably cost Barlow rather than De Boer tbh.
I think that is the point. He wins Peels B&F, named in the WAFL team of the year, had a red hot crack in the four AFL games he did play. That was the error RTB admitted to and also the bitter taste left with DeBoer.

Anyway it’s done now and I’m glad he had found a niche at GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back