Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess I must be the only one finding the bloody thread warning at the top of each page just as distracting as most of the apparently offending posts it is warning against. What are we, stupid?
Good news about North TTHD, yo hear so much conflicting info about that guy. Cheers training watchers.

You do get some real loonies down there that are happy to voice loud and proud their stupidity to everyone within earshot but I guess it'd be the same at most clubs.

It sounds like you're talking about West Coast training and/or home games.

Cam looks happy in those photos. The extra few weeks break was probably for the best.
Good for him to get away from footy for a bit to reset, and I just have this feeling that he will thrive under the new system with JLo, where the program (especially on Wednesdays) will be tailored to each player. Under Lyon he was bulked up and forced to play the KPF at times, which is not at all his natural game. I have no doubt they'll let him lose some bulk and let him play to his strengths - he's like a tall Walters in a way, elite running and kicking when fit. Would love to see him given a boxing/core strength program to build his speed, endurance and strength, but keep him away from the the heavy heavy weights.

Good for him to get away from footy for a bit to reset, and I just have this feeling that he will thrive under the new system with JLo, where the program (especially on Wednesdays) will be tailored to each player. Under Lyon he was bulked up and forced to play the KPF at times, which is not at all his natural game. I have no doubt they'll let him lose some bulk and let him play to his strengths - he's like a tall Walters in a way, elite running and kicking when fit. Would love to see him given a boxing/core strength program to build his speed, endurance and strength, but keep him away from the the heavy heavy weights.

Heavy weight training is a must for increasing speed and strength

Fremantle key forward Jesse Hogan makes huge progress in recovery from foot injury, returns for day one of full-squad pre-season training
Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Monday, 18 November 2019 11:

Jesse Hogan appears to be making giant strides in his recovery from a long-term foot injury as Fremantle’s full squad kicked off their pre-season at Cockburn this morning.
The key forward returned to the track, running laps and completing kicking drills and set shots away from the main training group.
The former Demon, who will be on a modified training program until after Christmas, was in good shape and moving well.
He hasn’t played at AFL level since round 14 last season.
Dual Brownlow medallist Nat Fyfe (shoulder) also ran laps on his own as the Dockers’ senior players joined their first-to-fourth year teammates for the first time under new coach Justin Longmuir.
The Freo skipper had post-season shoulder surgery and only recently returned from an overseas holiday.
Jesse Hogan of the Dockers celebrates after scoring a goal during the round 13 AFL match between the Fremantle Dockers and the Port Adelaide.
Jesse
Dashing defender Nathan Wilson (toe) watched on from the sidelines on crutches with his right foot in a protective boot.
Michael Walters, who started the pre-season early with his younger teammates, only briefly appeared outside, limping around without any shoes on.
Defender Alex Pearce (ankle) was also on light duties and spent most of the session inside.
Maligned forward Cam McCarthy has come back in great nick, while a shirtless second-year midfielder Brett Bewley cut an imposing upper body figure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

loved seeing Darcy and Mundy hyped about a drill on freo's insta story, i think it's quite understated how incredible what Mundy contributes is given he is 5 years older than the next oldest guy in our group and he is still so connected to all of the players. We really are so lucky to have him, so grateful!

Joao the Sturt being improved Fyfe dream is back alive. His shoulders in that photo are nuts for 2nd year player who has always been skinny.

He’s the one I’m most excited about this pre-season. Can’t wait to see how he goes in the matches

I'm surprised at the positivity from today's session. Whilst there were some classy players (Mundy), I saw some really average kicking, under little pressure. In the transition drill with 3 teams (twice as many attacking as defending) the ball missed targets almost every other set - that's with free targets galore.

On a day with virtually no wind (until I left, at least) I was hoping for more.

I'm surprised at the positivity from today's session. Whilst there were some classy players (Mundy), I saw some really average kicking, under little pressure. In the transition drill with 3 teams (twice as many attacking as defending) the ball missed targets almost every other set - that's with free targets galore.

Agree, under limited pressure we looked good but with increased intensity things went downhill quickly. It was hot and the first session for many but we have much work still to do.

Things aren’t going to just click after a few sessions. For some of the group it was their FIRST training run.

The most positive aspect is that we are focusing on skills and delivery in the forward line. Hopefully they will much improved by the new year

Who is Jordan McArdle?

Anyway, back onto the training. Great reports. Definitely a few reporting the house down. Stephen Hill back in full training is awesome news. Him getting back to his best is obviously super, super important for 2020 season. McCarthy has trained well for all of last preseason and by the reports has come back in good nick again. His workrate and application at training is way better than quite a few who never receive criticism on here and has been for a fair while.

Sturt really is a potential huge bonus. Him and Henry really could add excitement to our forward set-up next season. We obviously need more leading speed in our forward line to stop the habit of constantly kicking long to a contest. Potentially if all goes well Sturt and McCarthy would present a difficult combination to match-up on for some defences.
Good signs that he is training well and putting on weight. Hopefully we get a solid injection of skills in the draft with my hopes for Ash,(7) Stephens, (10) Henry (bid after 10) and I like the sound of Prior with a later pick.
If anyone has any time who saw training Id greatly appreciate any feedback on any of the questions below.
Is there any sign of any positional changes? How is Logue looking? Would love Ethan Hughes to train at least some of the time on a wing and Cerra to always be in any centre square drills.

The very, very early 1st Round 1 freo forward line prediction from me is:
HF: Walters Tabs Sturt
FF: McCarthy Hogan Matera
Lobb ruck
Swita on the bench to give the forward line some real speed when Walters plays some mid. Henry playing later in the year for Swita.

Last edited:
Who is Jordan McArdle?
Anyway, back onto the training. Is there any sign of any positional changes? How is Logue looking?
The very, very early 1 Round 1 freo forward line prediction from me is:
Lobb ruck
Henry playing later in the year.
Author of the West article Dale^ posted that practically plagiarised training watchers in here?

Who is Jordan McArdle?
Anyway, back onto the training. Is there any sign of any positional changes? How is Logue looking?
The very, very early 1 Round 1 freo forward line prediction from me is:
Lobb ruck
Henry playing later in the year.
If that is the forward line I will be all sorts of happy.

Who is going to be the 2nd ruck (I get the feeling you aren't thinking Darcy).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back