Training 2020 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Tried contacting the club twice via insta to confirm training but no reply. Find it all pretty s**t tbh.

I do understand that it's usually Yeronga nowadays. But that's a good 45 minute drive for me and I'd like to know it's on before I go.
Before the Christmas break it was Monday and Friday mornings at 8am, and Wednesday afternoons at 4pm at Yeronga.

On the last Wednesday I attended before they went on break, others there told me they would be at Coorparoo when they got back from their break.

It’s only that I saw they had been training at Yeronga last week that I figured I try there this morning.

In the interview on the lions app Bez mentioned he did the 3k in 9.57. Beyond knowing my own 3k time of 38 minutes I don't really have much context for that as a performance, can anyone shed some light on just how good a result that is?

In the interview on the lions app Bez mentioned he did the 3k in 9.57. Beyond knowing my own 3k time of 38 minutes I don't really have much context for that as a performance, can anyone shed some light on just how good a result that is?
A 10 minute 3k is pretty quick

Jay Rantall broke the all time 2k time record at the combine this year by 14 seconds and run 5.50. (Previous record 6.04).
At a consistent pace Berry would have run 6.38 knowing he still had 1k to go.

That's 3:19/km. It's pretty bloody quick.

As a comparison, if you know the parkruns that are around the place, there's a special club there called the sub-17 club (running sub-17). That's a 3:24/km over 5km. That club is generally only joined by your proper runners. Not necessarily pros, but at the very least serious trainers. They do it over 5km, but I promise you that not one of them carries the amount of bulk that Bez carries. My brother can do that pace (I can't, by a long way, and I've done a few long distance events), but he's about 190cm and 65kgs. Absolute twig.

Got down for the last half hour of training, just as the team started full field match practice.

Harris, Archie and CEY doing ropes and weights in rehab. Looked like Allison on the stationary bike, and Marcus Adams doing laps.

Having not seen the boys for a few weeks, I found it harder to instantly identify a lot of players.

It looked like it was random teams, nothing to read in to who was on which team.

Ballenden has a good pair of hands, is a beautiful kick, and looked good. He was showing a lot of good game awareness. Marked the ball at one stage on a wing with his back towards the boundary line, and gave off a handball over his left shoulder to a flanker running past.

Coleman played small forward, Skinner was playing in defence with Eagles for one team, Ah Chee hbf. Didn’t notice Birchall. Rich, Cox and Prior playing in defence on respective teams.

We have a lot of good kicks now with our small and medium defenders. Going to be a lot of competition for places.

Corey Lyons seemed to find a lot of ball inside, and stood out because of that. Mathieson’s kicking lets him down.

They were playing a lot of switching from the back pocket, getting numbers out on the fat side, over lapping and kicking to unmarked players.

After training was finished. Rich, Coleman, Cox and Allison (I think) were doing some running and sprint drills with one of the coaches.

On the other side of the field, Oscar, Neale, Robertson, Ely and McCluggage were doing some stoppage or centre bounce work. Neale was coaching Robertson, against Ely and McCluggage.

McCluggage, Neale and Robertson left after about 15 minutes, leaving Oscar and Ely working with a couple of the coaches on tap work, receiving the tap and handballing out.

And Fagan was doing his normal walking and jogging around the boundary. His limp wasn’t as noticeable.
Thanks Briztoon, how was Cox looking, was he breaking the line out of defence and making good use of his disposal?

Thanks Briztoon, how was Cox looking, was he breaking the line out of defence and making good use of his disposal?
There wasn’t a lot of run with the ball, only two occasions I recall, and I honestly can’t remember who went on either run. I do remember Rayner being burnt, when running inside a ball carrier, could have a had a shot at goal if he received a hand ball at the right moment.

What was noticeable was Cedric, Rich and Prior’s kicking. All very good, and some pin point kicks to team mates amongst congestion.

Jay Rantall broke the all time 2k time record at the combine this year by 14 seconds and run 5.50. (Previous record 6.04).
At a consistent pace Berry would have run 6.38 knowing he still had 1k to go.
There’s talk that the record possibly goes again next year, with the GWV Rebels having a national level distance runner who’s also good at footy.

There wasn’t a lot of run with the ball, only two occasions I recall, and I honestly can’t remember who went on either run. I do remember Rayner being burnt, when running inside a ball carrier, could have a had a shot at goal if he received a hand ball at the right moment.

What was noticeable was Cedric, Rich and Prior’s kicking. All very good, and some pin point kicks to team mates amongst congestion.
Thanks, really looking forward to seeing Prior play. Im going to get to as many neafl games as i can this year got em all in the diary, but maybe he gets a Guernsey earlier who knows. If he can crash packs and take a few defensive marks like in his draft vid as well as use the boot with precision he may quickly become one of our better option medium defenders. If Cox can end up being our Jason johannison too I'd be rapt.

Good to hear Rayner is creating opportunities anyway, spots are tight and everyone must be keen to show their wares, and maybe he needs to call louder who knows. Its obviously not worth overanalysing but just hope he can breakout, he ain't no seagull

And also if Rich is continuing his rich vein of form it will be so good to see. I'm pumped for the footy. Lions 2020!

It's the old Hawthorn model of drafting kids with very good to elite kicking skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok so I'm going to swallow my pride and try again.......

Any hot tips on training? Another session tomorrow before they head to Tassie?

Feel like I'm on a fishing/ hunting forum tbh.

If nobody points me in the right direction I will just head for Yeronga in the morning.

That's a good bet scoman. Berry said on the video on the lions site earlier This week that they had a Wednesday sesh before friday travel. If I had to guess I'd say morning because of travel but I don't know for sure.

If nobody points me in the right direction I will just head for Yeronga in the morning.
That's a good bet scoman. Berry said on the video on the lions site earlier This week that they had a Wednesday sesh before friday travel. If I had to guess I'd say morning because of travel but I don't know for sure.
Although their Wednesday sessions leading up to Xmas were in the afternoon at around 4.30.
I was hoping to get lucky then. Don’t think I can make the morning.

Did you call the club? Surely they let you know and save a trip

Stop talking sensible. I tried the socials, what more can a modern man do?
So do we all wear our Lions hat backwards so we know who the BF members are?

I’m easy to spot. I’m the bloke trying to stop a toddler eating pebbles, grass, leaves, etc.

I'll be the bloke trying my best to not look awkward and out of place.
Mate, that’s everyone except for the ladies sitting on their camp chairs on the hill, and the old timers sitting on the old bleachers.

If they’re playing a praccy match, I’ll probably sit up in the stands, access is from the back.

Mate, that’s everyone except for the ladies sitting on their camp chairs on the hill, and the old timers sitting on the old bleachers.

If they’re playing a praccy match, I’ll probably sit up in the stands, access is from the back.
You doubt my intel Briztoon??? :think::rolleyes:;):brisbane::D:tearsofjoy::laughing:......take it to the bank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back