Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why it is a concern that players are rewarded for good form, regardless of who the player is.

I am no expert, but I just don’t see him as a viable AFL player. In the senior team, in normal 18v18 contests, he just doesn’t impact the game. For whatever reason, in the reduced format of the scratch matches he appears to thrive.
I tip my hat to Moore - he hasn’t sulked at being dropped, and he is obviously a dedicated player. I just think if he is playing in the senior team it is at the expense of options who are more a part of our future than Moore.
Teague and the match committee have clearly prioritised scratch match form in regards to team selection. It is a good benchmark to use, but I feel it paints them into a bit of a corner.
I’m probably way off, but that’s how I see it.

I am no expert, but I just don’t see him as a viable AFL player. In the senior team, in normal 18v18 contests, he just doesn’t impact the game. For whatever reason, in the reduced format of the scratch matches he appears to thrive.
I tip my hat to Moore - he hasn’t sulked at being dropped, and he is obviously a dedicated player. I just think if he is playing in the senior team it is at the expense of options who are more a part of our future than Moore.
Teague and the match committee have clearly prioritised scratch match form in regards to team selection. It is a good benchmark to use, but I feel it paints them into a bit of a corner.
I’m probably way off, but that’s how I see it.

I agree with you that he's not a long-term AFL footballer. I don't see him on the list beyond this season.

But isn't rewarding players for good form exactly what should be done, and indeed what many have been screaming out for?

Yet when it happens and the player rewarded isn't a kid or a former first round draft pick, the same people kick up a fuss.

Go figure.

I agree with you that he's not a long-term AFL footballer. I don't see him on the list beyond this season.

But isn't rewarding players for good form exactly what should be done, and indeed what many have been screaming out for?

Yet when it happens and the player rewarded isn't a kid or a former first round draft pick, the same people kick up a fuss.

Go figure.

I think we are on the same page here.
I am all for reward for effort, giving players incentive and proof that if they put the work in they are right in contention for a call-up.
However I think it needs to be conditional on need and fit with the senior team. Not just a matter of training the house down.
I think the form and glowing feedback for Moore also makes it very difficult for him to be delisted at the end of the year. If the match committee are rewarding him with games in the ones, it is a real 180 to delist him. That said, they did the same with Deluca last year.
So who the hell knows?!?

Interesting we played with a wing, is this new or have people just been guessing that we haven’t when talking about LOB?
It’s hard to read much into these wright ups. Is a strong performance good or just handy? They mention Marchbank found himself on Hogan a lot but don’t mention how he went. With all due respect, Moore kicking 5 goals in 60min says a lot about these games.

Owies with another 3, has to be very close, kicking multiple goals week after week.

It's good to see Moore dominate in the 2s since being dropped, it's exactly the response you want. He deserved to be dropped for sure, but 20 odd disposals last week and 5 goals this week is an immense response.

Interesting we played with a wing, is this new or have people just been guessing that we haven’t when talking about LOB?
It’s hard to read much into these wright ups. Is a strong performance good or just handy? They mention Marchbank found himself on Hogan a lot but don’t mention how he went. With all due respect, Moore kicking 5 goals in 60min says a lot about these games.
I think it has to do with available players.

The WC one explicitly mentioned there were no wingers.

Can we get someone like Goddard into the ruck, and have Moore roving? Creates good development opportunities for Moore, BSOS, Macreadie and Finbar.

Moore in the ruck is utterly detrimental to his development, physically and tactically, while Goddard is on even more borrowed time.

A bit strange to offer up that Marchy played wing time when we have been told for weeks that reduced player numbers has meant that LOB
has played in the guts and back because we haven' played wings. They must see it as his avenue back to the top 22. Look out Jack Newnes.
Newnes might not be going anywhere for a little while!

Not sure why it is a concern that players are rewarded for good form, regardless of who the player is.

Some players are not quite AFL level.
I quite liked Moore‘s game when he played RFC VFL vs us but he was non-existent vs NMFC & saw his input vs the Hawks live = not there (1 x great tackle that was impressive).

Just another perspective on the game. Looks like we did alright according to Freo's report:

Seems that we rebounded well of turnovers, which with less players out there could open up the scoring, quite a few open goals been seen in these games so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been suggesting Marchy on a wing for a while, difficult match up for the opposition.

In this instance though I think it's to get some miles into his legs.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I think he is too indecisive with ball in hand. I also dont think he is quick enough. Might be quick for a big guy, but not for a mid.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Footage from the weekends reserves match vs Fremantle.

Thanks for posting Harks.
Hard to take a lot from it with the wide open spaces and goals out the back, but I thought LOB stood out for a few precise kicks - one in particular spotting up the open player inside 50 towards the end of the clip.
Really hopeful he gets a game in this upcoming block of matches.

Gee, how's Callum Moore just running from the centre bounce and roosting goals from 55-60m? That's impressive.

Ramsey looked heavily involved and pretty classy as did Philp. Looks like they enjoyed much better conditions to play in than the seniors.

If our MC is serious, it's time to bring in Dow for Murphy - who seems to be declining almost every week. Completely unable to stick a tackle, has lost any pace he had, and is now making some shocking skill errors which was always his strength. Dow as a 50+ game player should be trusted to come in and make that substitution as seamless as possible.

And probably time for Owies to come in for Betts, but most likely not this week on account of indigenous round.

Definitely thought Owies and Ramsay were impressive in the footage with their kicking and running. Philpy and Moore also impressive. Surprisingly not much of LOB or DOW but looking at the highlights it appears to be a very free flowing game with few stoppages and lots of long kicks which might explain it.

Especially loved the 2nd goal highlights as from the kick out you see Moore and Owies on the edge of the defensive 50 arc but on the other side of the ground (pause the highlights and you'll see). They then sprint the entire length of the field to get on the end of the ball in the goal square which is fantastic to see their gut running and determination.

Some really strong kicking as part our play and can't wait to see how our VFL team does next year with all this depth and young talent on our list. Would think we could make finals like we used to when Teague was coaching the bullants!

One thing to be cautious on with Moore's 5 goals is that Freo are a young team, and have stacked injuries at KPD (Hamling, Logue, Pearce all out). That means that he was playing against makeshift key defenders in a match with extra space. Still impressive, particularly the goals coming out of the middle.

The things that Moore has - athleticism, work ethic - make him a versatile option to keep on the list for a bit, even if it isn't really translating to AFL level at the moment. I reckon he's worth trialling as a key defender (the old Jones switch with an athletic/quick high workrate guy who can't stick a mark or impose as a forward). Could become the next Casboult- a guy who might never be best 22 at any one position, but ends up playing 22 games because he can understudy everyone. Casboult didn't really hit that point until age 24 or 25 which gives Moore a couple of years to fill out.

One thing to be cautious on with Moore's 5 goals is that Freo are a young team, and have stacked injuries at KPD (Hamling, Logue, Pearce all out). That means that he was playing against makeshift key defenders in a match with extra space. Still impressive, particularly the goals coming out of the middle.

The things that Moore has - athleticism, work ethic - make him a versatile option to keep on the list for a bit, even if it isn't really translating to AFL level at the moment. I reckon he's worth trialling as a key defender (the old Jones switch with an athletic/quick high workrate guy who can't stick a mark or impose as a forward). Could become the next Casboult- a guy who might never be best 22 at any one position, but ends up playing 22 games because he can understudy everyone. Casboult didn't really hit that point until age 24 or 25 which gives Moore a couple of years to fill out.
Yeah, I'd be reluctant to ditch someone who can so utterly dominate at the lower level and is showing signs of continued improvement. He clearly didn't do much in his two senior outings but Simmo didn't touch the ball for his first few games either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back