Fixture 2021 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at the draw it's possible we could have double ups against:

1. Top 4 match with Dogs
2. Carlton, Saints and Pies (3 possible bottom 6 sides)
3. Away Showdown

I'm aware of what happened previously but there is no excuse not to finish with 4/5

It's better than ending up with West Coast twice, Richmond and Bulldogs

Dogs have similar finish but face up with Melbourne
Melbourne have the harder finish
Sydney have more than likely 4 very winnable double ups.

We need to keep winning games, because it's likely positional changes won't happen late in the season.

The game against the Dogs in Round 23 could be huge

The club's top 3 time slots requests in order are Friday night, Saturday night and Saturday twilight.

Can't help it that the w***ers at Dockland shut the roof for a 1.10pm game v North in Rd 1.

If they have the roof open at Marvel for a 1pm game the shadows on the pitch make it unbearable to watch.

That being said, it was cloudy and raining all day during that round 1 clash, so if it had been opened people would have gotten wet which defeats the purpose of a stadium with a roof.

Let's just agree that Marvel's design is fundamentally flawed and no amount of money pumped into it is going to ever fix it from being the most soul-less stadium for any sporting atmosphere in Australia.

If they have the roof open at Marvel for a 1pm game the shadows on the pitch make it unbearable to watch.

That being said, it was cloudy and raining all day during that round 1 clash, so if it had been opened people would have gotten wet which defeats the purpose of a stadium with a roof.

Let's just agree that Marvel's design is fundamentally flawed and no amount of money pumped into it is going to ever fix it from being the most soul-less stadium for any sporting atmosphere in Australia.
They don't open it in the day anymore

Marvel is great for night games, but even with the roof open, the atmosphere at day games isn't that great. It's still a reasonable stadium, just by being so central. Being so central they should bite the bullet, lose the under stadium parking and put in a decent depth of soil for the field. All the AFL and associated hob nobs having to catch a train/tram or park a bit further away, so the ground / game is better is too much to ask though :rolleyes:

If they have the roof open at Marvel for a 1pm game the shadows on the pitch make it unbearable to watch. ..
We're not playing cricket and the Docklands grass needs all the sun it can get. Those lamps they roll out onto the oval are a poor substitute for sunshine.

So this is a remaining fixture. After 5 games we have a better understanding of how other teams are performing. WB are at the moment a lot better than anticipated. Same Sydney and Adelaide (for now). Brisbane and Geelong have been quite average for flag fancies.
Looking at the draw it's possible we could have double ups against:

1. Top 4 match with Dogs
2. Carlton, Saints and Pies (3 possible bottom 6 sides)
3. Away Showdown
Dogs have similar finish but face up with Melbourne
Melbourne have the harder finish
Sydney have more than likely 4 very winnable double ups.
Bulldogs won against:

- Eagles (6th)
- Lions (10th)
- Suns (15th)
- Pies (16th)
- North (18th)

Those teams’ combined record in their other matches: 7-13

Demons won against:

- Cats (8th)
- Freo (9th)
- Giants (12th)
- Saints (13th)
- Hawks (17th)

Those teams’ combined record in their other matches: 11-9

Sydney won against:

- Tigers (5th)
- Crows (7th)
- Lions (10th)
- Bombers (14th)

Lost to:
- Giants (12th)

Those teams’ combined record in their other matches: 10-10

Port won against:
- Tigers (5th)
- Blues (11th)
- Bombers (14th)
- North (18th)

Lost to:
- Eagles (6th)

Those teams’ combined record in their other matches: 8-12

From hardest to easiest: Demons, Sydney, Port, Dogs.

Last edited:
Marvel is great for night games, but even with the roof open, the atmosphere at day games isn't that great. It's still a reasonable stadium, just by being so central. Being so central they should bite the bullet, lose the under stadium parking and put in a decent depth of soil for the field. All the AFL and associated hob nobs having to catch a train/tram or park a bit further away, so the ground / game is better is too much to ask though :rolleyes:

The only good thing about the stadium is its location. Otherwise it is a concrete jungle of s**t. I lived in the apartment complex next door to it from 2011-2019, so went to more than my fair share of games and concerts there simply by location proximity. As a venue it is soul less. Even at 35k the atmosphere in there is dead.

They'd never get rid of the underground car parking there. After the big wigs at AFL House, you've got the employees at Medibank and NAB there that use it. Absolute cash cow for the AFL.

MrPlow asked in another thread when Western Stand tickets go on sale for the Showdown and Bulldogs' game.

AO and Ports Western Stand members can book tickets for the Showdown from 11:00 am Monday, 3 May 2021.

The Bulldogs game hasn't been scheduled by the AFL yet but I imagine tickets will be available from the Monday prior also.

MrPlow asked in another thread when Western Stand tickets go on sale for the Showdown and Bulldogs' game.

AO and Ports Western Stand members can book tickets for the Showdown from 11:00 am Monday, 3 May 2021.

The Bulldogs game hasn't been scheduled by the AFL yet but I imagine tickets will be available from the Monday prior also.

Thank you. Wasn’t sure because the Saints tickets came out ages ago

Any word on when they release the next batch of slots for fixtures (i.e. Round 9 onwards). I am keen for round 10 v Collingwood, but if its Friday night i am no chance.

I imagine Bris v Rich that weekend will be Friday night.

Be good also to get the Bulldogs Friday night in Round 8 (but maybe not with Dogs playing Sunday in round 7).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any word on when they release the next batch of slots for fixtures (i.e. Round 9 onwards). I am keen for round 10 v Collingwood, but if its Friday night i am no chance.

Be good also to get the Bulldogs Friday night in Round 8 (but maybe not with Dogs playing Sunday in round 7).
Also looking for this info

Bulldogs won against:

- Eagles (6th)
- Lions (10th)
- Suns (15th)
- Pies (16th)
- North (18th)

Those teams’ combined record in their other matches: 7-13

Demons won against:

- Cats (8th)
- Freo (9th)
- Giants (12th)
- Saints (13th)
- Hawks (17th)

Those teams’ combined record in their other matches: 11-9

Sydney won against:

- Tigers (5th)
- Crows (7th)
- Lions (10th)
- Bombers (14th)

Lost to:
- Giants (12th)

Those teams’ combined record in their other matches: 10-10

Port won against:
- Tigers (5th)
- Blues (11th)
- Bombers (14th)
- North (18th)

Lost to:
- Eagles (6th)

Those teams’ combined record in their other matches: 8-12

From hardest to easiest: Demons, Sydney, Port, Dogs.
Those outside of last year’s eight, ie who had a longer gap to this season, had an advantage in the early games...will see how things go as the season advances.

There are 3 Marvel games in Round 9 so one of them will need to be Friday Night. (I don’t think they’ll have Thursday Night games in the middle of May)

There are 3 Marvel games in Round 9 so one of them will need to be Friday Night. (I don’t think they’ll have Thursday Night games in the middle of May)

Honestly the floating fixture is such a waste of time when there are so many constraints on it anyway.

Like it's clear that Round 9 Friday night will have to either be Richmond vs GWS or St Kilda vs Geelong. On current ladder positions Port and Bulldogs is clear Match of the round there but it won't get the Friday night slot. You can tell the AFL were probably banking on Saints and Geelong both being top 8 teams but have yet another Richmond game as back up just in case that game seems like a dud.

I guarantee Brisbane v Richmond is and always has been planned for Friday night of Round 10. Why pretend differently?

As posted previously "The AFL said it’ll aim to release Rounds 9 and 10 fixtures after Round 5 has been completed."

So expecting it to be sometime this week.

Honestly the floating fixture is such a waste of time when there are so many constraints on it anyway.

Like it's clear that Round 9 Friday night will have to either be Richmond vs GWS or St Kilda vs Geelong. On current ladder positions Port and Bulldogs is clear Match of the round there but it won't get the Friday night slot. You can tell the AFL were probably banking on Saints and Geelong both being top 8 teams but have yet another Richmond game as back up just in case that game seems like a dud.

I guarantee Brisbane v Richmond is and always has been planned for Friday night of Round 10. Why pretend differently?

Swans V Collingwood also a chance.

It's such a pity that the AFL/VIC/Govt/Channel 7 only look at the Vic ratings. Nationally, Port v Richmond has been the 2nd highest rating Ch 7 game (only after the much anticipated and almost always disappointing "Traditional" Richmond Carlton opening "Blockbuster".

Change Richmond v GWS to the MCG and then make our game against Footscray the Friday night match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back