2021 Formula One Season: Championship Decider Abu Dhabi - Verstappen Wins in a Controversial Race! 🏆 🍾

Remove this Banner Ad

gEmjcMv.png

Article 27.3 states:

Drivers will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with it and, for the avoidance of doubt, any white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.

Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any lasting advantage. At the absolute discretion of the race director a driver may be given the opportunity to give back the whole of any advantage he gained by leaving the track.

Verstappen's overtake:

60xRR69.png

I think we can agree that Verstappen's overtake was illegal even without this rule anyway, as leaving the track to overtake (and not handing it back) is always penalised at every corner and straight of every race track in F1.

It just seems Red Bull didn't bother telling Max it was legal to hang the car out in turn 4 lap after lap if you wanted.

Oddly enough that's the first time Danny Ric has scored points in his first race for any team

19th for HRT
Disqualified with Red Bull
DNFed for Renault
Was still a little disappointing for Dan. Can't help but think if he'd not got passed by Norris before that Safety Car on Lap 1 he would've got the preferential treatment in the early stops and may have got a better result. That being said his race pace looked to be a bit down - not sure if that's adjusting to the new car and setup or other factors.

He’s going to make Lance Stroll look like prime Senna in terms of racing for their dads.

Stroll is a quality driver in his own regard. If in 2021 you doubt his F1 ability then more fool you.

Was still a little disappointing for Dan. Can't help but think if he'd not got passed by Norris before that Safety Car on Lap 1 he would've got the preferential treatment in the early stops and may have got a better result. That being said his race pace looked to be a bit down - not sure if that's adjusting to the new car and setup or other factors.

Feel like Dan has lost some of that pizzazz he had at Red Bull. Yes he had some quality driving performances with Renault but it seems to me the last couple of years have been a bit of a safer approach. Think he will get exposed by Lando who seems to be all about aggression. Dan often still referred to as the last of the late brakers but I think there are a few ahead of him in that regard now. Okay he had to adjust to a couple of new cars and maybe that'll change again but Norris looks a beast. Wonder if Dan is trying to protect his stellar reputation more than he lets on?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here we go guys:

Nikita Mazespin full race replay!

I did laugh at the fact that at the end, even the Medical car is just like "See ya later!"

Reminds me of when I turned off assists in the game, use to do that all the time. Now I at least wait until the exit of 4 or the exit of that turn before the lock up hairpin......

I have a feeling this forum, that so rarely agrees, will unite around Mazepin being rubbish.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Doesn't help that from all reports he's an utter twat off track too. No one likes him except Russians and trolls.

Something lost in the aftermath is how terrible Alpine were this weekend, by the way. As it stands so far, Ricciardo made the right move.

Doesn't help that from all reports he's an utter twat off track too. No one likes him except Russians and trolls.

I would hazard a guess that he is not well liked by the rest of the grid either.

Stroll is a quality driver in his own regard. If in 2021 you doubt his F1 ability then more fool you.

Feel like Dan has lost some of that pizzazz he had at Red Bull. Yes he had some quality driving performances with Renault but it seems to me the last couple of years have been a bit of a safer approach. Think he will get exposed by Lando who seems to be all about aggression. Dan often still referred to as the last of the late brakers but I think there are a few ahead of him in that regard now. Okay he had to adjust to a couple of new cars and maybe that'll change again but Norris looks a beast. Wonder if Dan is trying to protect his stellar reputation more than he lets on?
Ricciardo finished 5th, 4 places ahead of Norris in the wdc in a car that finished 2 positions behind wcc in 2020.

But all that goes out the window due prejudiced opinion, having such opinions based on perceived visual cues, and being unable to see things that make a difference.

29 breeches of turn 4 track limits, not one penalised.

RB should have waited for the stewards to issue a warning/investigation before acting.

29 breeches of turn 4 track limits, not one penalised.

RB should have waited for the stewards to issue a warning/investigation before acting.

gEmjcMv.png

Verstappen's overtake was commenced and completed off track, it is not controversial that he had to hand it back.

Typical sensationalism from NewsCorp.

Ricciardo finished 5th, 4 places ahead of Norris in the wdc in a car that finished 2 positions behind wcc in 2020.

But all that goes out the window due prejudiced opinion, having such opinions based on perceived visual cues, and being unable to see things that make a difference.

Don't need a history lesson, bud. Shallow response

gEmjcMv.png

Verstappen's overtake was commenced and completed off track, it is not controversial that he had to hand it back.

Its just the clickbait headline, the rest of the article is reasonably accurate.

To me, the biggest story around that Turn 4 run-off area is why the guidance changed from Practice/Quali to the Race - they should have kept the same rules for the whole weekend - and especially not changing it half way through the race

Its just the clickbait headline, the rest of the article is reasonably accurate.

To me, the biggest story around that Turn 4 run-off area is why the guidance changed from Practice/Quali to the Race - they should have kept the same rules for the whole weekend - and especially not changing it half way through the race

Yep, the inconsistency is grating. Either make it permissible, or make it not permissible, and stick to it for a weekend. It's not uncommon for warnings and then reprimands and flags to be shown to drivers that constantly exceed track limits during a race, so it's not like this should have been placed in the 'too hard' basket.

More questions should be asked as to why Red Bull and/or Verstappen didn't take advantage like many of the other drivers, including Hamilton. Does this mean they don't really pay much attention to the race director's briefings?

gEmjcMv.png

The 2nd and 3rd FP, as well as Qualifying, all had penalties for exceeding track limits at turn 4.
Now if you have this rule for most of the weekend, why is it suddenly revoked in the only track time that actually matters?
Are the FIA taking instructions from the AFL?
It makes the sport laughable when such variations to infringements occur over barely 48 hours.
You are correct about NewsCorp, and I’m sure that examination of the videos would find others just as culpable.
But the FIA are simply acceding to the demands of the petulant drivers who want to take any advantage they can get. Why not just let them straight-line any chicanes? I’m sure they will welcome it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back