List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:

Brander on the trade table

Not sure he fits needs but 4 years in the system and hasnt really nailed down a spot

If the club thinks he could be turned into a option at either end of the ground then it could be worth looking at a trade but Vic clubs would probably offer more money, Geelong with him going to school and also links last year I think (Or maybe with the Kelly trade)

Brander on the trade table

Not sure he fits needs but 4 years in the system and hasnt really nailed down a spot

If the club thinks he could be turned into a option at either end of the ground then it could be worth looking at a trade but Vic clubs would probably offer more money, Geelong with him going to school and also links last year I think (Or maybe with the Kelly trade)
Ex academy player, he fits our needs as a depth swingman.
As always attractiveness all depends on cost at trade time and salary

Interesting development on Jarrod Brander - essentially WCE has thrown their arms up & said ''get him out of here''. He was one earlier I had wondered about whether we could pick up cheaply and turn into a defender, but ultimately felt the risk too high. The WCE decision seems to reinforce the view that he's unrecoverable - a big drop from his selection at pick #13. He'd be even cheaper now - but would he be worth the risk? If we lose Riccardi and/or Finlayson, there would be a forward position as well as a defender position on the roster.

However, his eyes (from the chatter) seem focussed on Melbourne, so I doubt he'd be interested in coming to GWS.

One guy I’d be trying to recruit is Kane Farrell from Port. Can’t get a game. Amazing kick on him and he is quick and agile. Too good not to be playing in the ones imo. An outside type of player… we could certainly use him. 22 years old.

I'm not convinced Brander is a swingman. WC have tried playing him on a wing due to their abundance of talls rather than him failing in a KP role. He looks a natural CHF to me, a better skilled Sproule I think with the way both move around the ground but tackle well for big guys. With Brander his short to medium kicking skills mean he can play up the ground as opposed to most talls. He'd have competition to get a game for us whereas someone like Collingwood he would locked in for Rd 1.

I'm not convinced Brander is a swingman. WC have tried playing him on a wing due to their abundance of talls rather than him failing in a KP role. He looks a natural CHF to me, a better skilled Sproule I think with the way both move around the ground but tackle well for big guys. With Brander his short to medium kicking skills mean he can play up the ground as opposed to most talls. He'd have competition to get a game for us whereas someone like Collingwood he would locked in for Rd 1.
Yeah I'd be interested in him as a CHF, would stop jerking him around and focus his development in one spot.

Last edited:
Yes. Personally, I think it is likely to be catastrophic for ToJ if he goes to Port. He's only going there for his wife to be ''near'' family. If the reports of where her family live are true, then Adelaide isn't exactly that near - but it may be driven in these COVID times that it's the same state, and therefore less likely to be subject to movement restrictions, as NSW-SA travel currently is. But Port don't really need him or want him; they may put him on the list, but it will be at very small $ and literally no investment in his future or his well-being - which will be the worst outcome for him.

I really feel for him in his position, and if he feels he needs to go to SA for his wife & family's sake then so be it, but I can't help but feel it will not be a good result for him.

His loss won't be a significant loss for GWS, and might help to keep Riccardi, which would be a good club outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can retain Flynn and Riccardi while off-loading Finlayson for a pick that's probably the best case scenario I could've thought of. We still probably need a genuine number 1 key forward but we had too many guys that are fringe best 22, at least Riccardi still gives us a chance at developing into a key target.

If we can retain Flynn and Riccardi while off-loading Finlayson for a pick that's probably the best case scenario I could've thought of. We still probably need a genuine number 1 key forward but we had too many guys that are fringe best 22, at least Riccardi still gives us a chance at developing into a key target.
Hogan not genuine key forward?

No mention of Finlayson. if he moves, it seems likely it could quite late, after everything else is sorted for Port.
I guess as he is contracted, he is part of a different conversation, so unlikely to be mentioned either way in this article

Hogan not genuine key forward?
He is but his injuries make him far from reliable, loved what he's done when he's played it's impossible to pencil him in for 22 games. If Riccardi can develop into a legit key forward option that can take the best defenders in the competition and have success that makes up forward structure a lot clearer, or Flynn for that matter but he seems more likely to slide into a complimentary forward role instead.

Last edited:
Clearly we will be taking Callaghan with our first. I hope we take Leek Allerr with our second. Question marks: he’d have to put on about 10 kgs. Also, I wonder what his tank is like.

Clearly we will be taking Callaghan with our first. I hope we take Leek Allerr with our second. Question marks: he’d have to put on about 10 kgs. Also, I wonder what his tank is like.
Alleer is 85 kg atm which is what Taylor was when he was drafted from memory. Not sure he's a first round level prospect tbh, would have more areas to improve than a Bazzo or JVR if we're deadset on getting a KPP with that pick

Alleer is 85 kg atm which is what Taylor was when he was drafted from memory. Not sure he's a first round level prospect tbh, would have more areas to improve than a Bazzo or JVR if we're deadset on getting a KPP with that pick

You have way better handle on this than me ... what do you think of draft night if we walked away with

1/ Callaghan
2/ Gibcus or MacAndrew
3/ Fahey ( maybe matching GC at 19)

Trying to bring our 1st next year into this year somehow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back