List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
Grain of salt stuff

GWS board member Jimmy Bartel isn’t sure whether the club will bid on father-son prospects Nick Daicos or Sam Darcy, but did float Vic Country key defender Josh Gibcus as a potential target. “There are probably two or three guys that you’re thinking of,” Bartel told Sportsday. “I think everyone knows who the first two are – North Melbourne has absolutely declared Horne-Francis as the No.1 pick and then (Nick) Daicos and then (Sam) Darcy – do we bid on him? Do we bid on Daicos? All the games that go on. “There’s a handful of guys there that could be pick two. “(Josh) Gibcus, who we’ve spoken to, the best defender, unbelievable athlete, he’s travelled around as a young guy as we know. “He’s potentially in that spot as well.”

Who will the Giants select with pick No.2 in the draft? (sen.com.au)

or… we take Mac at 2, GC take Gibcus at 3 and Adelaide get Callaghan at 4 - same result, no trading of picks needed. I don’t see how he’s a reach at 2 but not at 4 when the same players to the same clubs are involved.
No trading of picks needed? We can get more picks if we trade back and still get the player we want, he still might be a a small reach at 4 but at least you're getting more picks out of it. If 2 and 3 aren't going to take him which I think is fair to assume, and 5 is the first real risk of someone taking him why not move back to 4 get more picks, that could be quality future picks (doesn't seem like they're intrested in more picks this year from all the comments they've made) and still get Mac. Adelaide is likely to still be pretty bad next year and miss the 8 again and could be a bottom 6 side, we could defintely squeeze them for at least a future second round pick which will be a top 25 pick next year. If Adelaide want Callaghan why not make them pay up for him if we're not interested in picking him anway. Mac + Crows future second is objectively better then just getting Mac, there doesn't seem like there's a lot of risk involved in moving down to 4. It's a no brainer for me.

No trading of picks needed? We can get more picks if we trade back and still get the player we want, he still might be a a small reach at 4 but at least you're getting more picks out of it. If 2 and 3 aren't going to take him which I think is fair to assume, and 5 is the first real risk of someone taking him why not move back to 4 get more picks, that could be quality future picks (doesn't seem like they're intrested in more picks this year from all the comments they've made) and still get Mac. Adelaide is likely to still be pretty bad next year and miss the 8 again and could be a bottom 6 side, we could defintely squeeze them for at least a future second round pick which will be a top 25 pick next year. If Adelaide want Callaghan why not make them pay up for him if we're not interested in picking him anway. Mac + Crows future second is objectively better then just getting Mac, there doesn't seem like there's a lot of risk involved in moving down to 4. It's a no brainer for me.
The hole in your logic is assuming those clubs are transparent in their intentions. They regularly aren’t

The hole in your logic is assuming those clubs are transparent in their intentions. They regularly aren’t
There's no point having any of these conversations if we're just going to say "well the club could be lying". We have to work with the information we've got and try and figure out what we think is credible and what isn't. Of course if the Giants knew that Gold Coast was really keen on Mac then trading down for him at 4 would be a really bad idea. I haven't read or listened to anything (maybe I've missed it) that links Mac to Adelaide or Gold Coast as strongly as they have GWS or Hawthorn, so from all our information it seems like they're going to take someone else.

There's no point having any of these conversations if we're just going to say "well the club could be lying". We have to work with the information we've got and try and figure out what we think is credible and what isn't. Of course if the Giants knew that Gold Coast was really keen on Mac then trading down for him at 4 would be a really bad idea. I haven't read or listened to anything (maybe I've missed it) that links Mac to Adelaide or Gold Coast as strongly as they have GWS or Hawthorn, so from all our information it seems like they're going to take someone else.
While I take your point I’m just suggesting that you are assuming a lot of chips are falling your way here

Mac has absolutely been linked to GC. Especially after the rumor that gibcus could be a flight risk

I think it's fair to assume Adelaide and Gold Coast won't take him with their first picks and Hawthorn is likely the first real risk of him being taken, if we moved back 2 spots that would swap us with Adelaide. Adelaide likely take Callaghan at 2, Gold Coast take Gibcus then leaving Mac to us at 4 is a very reasonable scenario, of course nothing is guranteed but we have to work with logic and reasoning and how possible something is and Mac being avaliable at 4 is very likely to me.

Well, your original post involved examples with taking players "20 spots higher then they should be" and Andrews being viewed "in that 6-10 bracket" while my counterexample involved "a very small trade-down (1 or 2 picks) where they can guarantee the trading up team does not want that player", so it's good to see you come around! ;)

Well, your original post involved examples with taking players "20 spots higher then they should be" and Andrews being viewed "in that 6-10 bracket" while my counterexample involved "a very small trade-down (1 or 2 picks) where they can guarantee the trading up team does not want that player", so it's good to see you come around! ;)
That wasn't in reference to Mac, I was simply talking about what I think a "reach" means. If the target is anyone but Callaghan I've always believed that a small trade down is the best move forward because their target is still likely to be avaliable.

While I take your point I’m just suggesting that you are assuming a lot of chips are falling your way here

Mac has absolutely been linked to GC. Especially after the rumor that gibcus could be a flight risk
I must've missed the report linking Mac to Gold Coast that certainly changes things, I imagine if they're trading down past Gold Coast with the potential risk of Gold Coast taking him they'd obviously have back up plans in place, that's probably where we see Rachele (would be my choice in a trade down) or maybe Gibcus come into play.

I must've missed the report linking Mac to Gold Coast that certainly changes things, I imagine if they're trading down past Gold Coast with the potential risk of Gold Coast taking him they'd obviously have back up plans in place, that's probably where we see Rachele (would be my choice in a trade down) or maybe Gibcus come into play.
im all aboard the Rachele train

It's popped a couple of times - probably the most concrete example:

The Gold Coast Suns have the next pick and would also strongly consider Andrew if he was still available.

In my view, it's going to come down to whether we have a really strong preference for one player, or if we have a fairly even rating across the several players to whom we've been linked.

There have been enough links between Gibcus, Andrew & Rachele and other clubs picking early (which is understandable), that there's no guarantee any specific player will slip through to picks #4, 5 or 6 if we trade down. So, If we really want Mac Andrew or we really want Josh Rachele, we probably need to just pick the guy we most want at #2.

On the other hand, if we like several of them a similar amount, but would like a bonus pick somewhere in addition to any of the 4, or indeed if we feel we could get 2 of our 4 liked players, then I could see us trading. Then if one is unexpectedly taken, we could be satisfied with whoever we do get.

Josh Goater saying he's had at least one meeting with every club and has had multiple meetings with 4 different clubs with the Giants being one of them, could be one of the 8 guys AC was talking about at 13.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we take Callaghan at 2...
Is there a way to have our cake and eat it too...picking up MAC?
On the off chance he gets past Freo at 6/8...what other pick swaps would be available? Saints?
It'll take some creative thinking I'd say....but that's what BigFooty is for 😉😉😉

If we take Callaghan at 2...
Is there a way to have our cake and eat it too...picking up MAC?
On the off chance he gets past Freo at 6/8...what other pick swaps would be available? Saints?
It'll take some creative thinking I'd say....but that's what BigFooty is for 😉😉😉
We could combine 13 with our 2022r2 to move up I guess at most 3 spots
Of course if we combine 13 with 2022r1 we do better, perhaps to pick 7, but that is a bad deal in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back