List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
PM, you see much more junior footy then any of us, your thoughts re Butler in terms of what he offers, can he play from round 1, does he offer defensive pressure and does he kick goals?
He's one of my absolute favourites in the class this year, wins the contested footy well but has a solid outside game, defensively minded so works hard both ways and to tackle and has smarts inside 50, not necessarily a 'something out of nothing' goal kicker but gets the ones he goes for well. The main concerns I've seen are to do with kicking under pressure, but that's not something I'm overly worried about when 1) Our whole team suffers that and 20 he should be playing only forward for the first two seasons anyway whilst that develops, so worst case is he kicks it to a pack.

As for round 1 ready, hard to see a reason he shouldn't be, would all depend on conditioning but he'd automatically be our best pressure forward imo

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Daicos disappointed GWS haven’t spoken to him .... and Collingwood fans suggesting 13 + F1 for their F1 .... the weirdness is deep at that club

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Daicos disappointed GWS haven’t spoken to him .... and Collingwood fans suggesting 13 + F1 for their F1 .... the weirdness is deep at that club
Thanks for following my comments on the Collingwood board lol.

The level of excessive optimism I came across was just flat out embarrassing. There was a poster saying we should trade out future 1st to Sydney for their future 1st + a bit more, and that he expects us to finish around the same mark as Sydney who made finals this year........ Which is just ridiculous because not only did we not improve our list over the off-season it actually got worse from losing De Goey....

It is highly likely that our future 1st is another top 3 pick, and any trade involving our future 1st should be valued accordingly. So yes - F1 for 13 + your F1 is a terrible trade for us and it should not be considered - since it'll probably look like Pick 1 for Pick 13 + Pick 13 - 15.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Don't blame him for being a bit upset, would've worked most of his life to be a top AFL prospect and would have dreams of getting picked as high as possible and with the opportunity to be selected at 2 and the team seemingly passing on giving him the chance to be selected 2 overall has to be a bit upsetting. Also don't blame GWS for not doing it, if they think they have their guy and don't want to bother with the bid then there's no real point, but I feel for him glad he's being honest it something we don't get enough of from players and the reason why we always get the sanitized cliche responses,

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS

LOL, ok...

I sort of understand his feeling, these kids put their life into it and the draft position whilst not the end game is somewhat representative of their work to that point.

It probably comes across as a little arrogant but that’s part of what makes him as good as what he is.

Maybe he should have kept the thought to himself but I do get where he is coming from, it’s a winning attitude.

Twomey is usually fairly accurate and I'd be satisfied with the Callaghan and Butler outcome.
Interesting he has Hobbs sliding so far and Richmond taking Gibcus..
If Gibcus slides to 11ish, I'd like to see us trade up and grab him if possible, it's also at what cost.
The other one that interests me is Sonsie.
He was among the best 16 yo to and has had limited opportunity and fallen. Feel he could end up being the draft steal.
I'd be happy taking a chance on him.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Twomey is usually fairly accurate and I'd be satisfied with the Callaghan and Butler outcome.
If Gibcus slides to 11ish, I'd like to see us trade up and grab him if possible, it's also at what cost.
He was among the best 16 yo to and has had limited opportunity and fallen. Feel he could end up being the draft steal.
Sonsie is just really tough fit wise, Callaghan is already hard enough he's going to have to spend long stints on the wing which suits his skill set well. Sonsie's a great player and probably going to go too late but just not sure where he's going to play now or in a few years if he was at GWS, unless he develops better then expected in attack and is able to play as a half forward. Butler and Callaghan is a really good combo imo and something I'd be happy with.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
I sort of understand his feeling, these kids put their life into it and the draft position whilst not the end game is somewhat representative of their work to that point.

It probably comes across as a little arrogant but that’s part of what makes him as good as what he is.

Maybe he should have kept the thought to himself but I do get where he is coming from, it’s a winning attitude.
We should bid then on both Darcy and Daicos.
I think collingwood is a powerful enemy, and we ( and the bulldogs) already benefit tremendously from their silly trading last year.
I think we therefore bid on Darcy, not Daicos.

tweet seems to have been taken down - just getting a “tweet is unavailable”

who was it? what did it say?
Daicos being asked if it was true that GWS didn't interview him. He said that's true and when a few people asked him and he confirmed it raised a few eyebrows, that he's a bit disappointed

Why would we waste time interviewing someone who is zero chance of being drafted by us?
Sounds a bit soft.
To make him feel special we will call his name out so the Pies can hand over most of their picks 🤭

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Swap of firsts this year and our First next year if he’s available.
Odds are one our guys will leave next year giving us another first rounder anyway

Battlepants

All Australian
Feb 6, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...-full-afl-phantom-draft-every-club-every-pick

Has us taking Callaghan and Howes. I'd be pretty happy with this to be honest.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
If we want Howes at pick 13 ( 15) bit think other clubs probably won't pick him that early, how far down can we afford to trade? Do people think we will trade down , or just use 15 on Howes or possibly somebody else.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
If we want Howes at pick 13 ( 15) bit think other clubs probably won't pick him that early, how far down can we afford to trade? Do people think we will trade down , or just use 15 on Howes or possibly somebody else.
There's a chance he doesn't even make it to 15

Back