List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear ya mate, it's just when you look at our list we have glaring issues which we need to address. Firstly, and most importantly is our forwardline. Secondly, and this one is underrated on here is our aging stars in Mundy, Fyfe and Walters. We don't know how many years they have left and their output will start to decline. It is this reason I would prefer to draft a gun mid this year to be prepared for the future. I love Jackson but Cerra leaves a big hole that he alone cannot fill.
Melbourne didn't pick Jackson because he was a ruck.

Their recruiters believe he can play midfield.

As promising as Jackson is, I’d be kinda scared of trading a significant amount for a player when it’s unclear what his best position is. If it’s a ruckman than having him and Darcy is over investing, if it’s a forward you’d be sceptical of his production. Think he’s a super talent but would be cautious about trading for him

I’ll just add to this and say is that not many genuine forward/rucks are match winners.

As promising as Jackson is he averaged less goals per game than Lobb this year (ratio is almost 2:1 as well).

Doesn’t solve our forward problem at all. In terms of cost vs impact on the game I’m not sure there’s a less effective role than forward/ruck tbh.

Last edited:
Melbourne didn't pick Jackson because he was a ruck.

Their recruiters believe he can play midfield.
You think a 200cm 100kg man is going to average 23 disp, 8 contested, 3.6 clearances, 400ms gained and 5.3 score involvements (Cerra's numbers). He is shaping to be an awesome forward ruck and surpass Lobbster but not an actual midfielder.

I’ll just add to this and say is that not many genuine forward/rucks are hardly match winners.

As promising as Jackson is he averaged less goals per game than Lobb this year (ratio is almost 2:1 as well).

Doesn’t solve our forward problem at all. In terms of cost vs impact on the game I’m not sure there’s a less effective role than forward/ruck tbh.
We have more issues than just solving the forward problem ie Inside midfield long term, and outside midfield short term.

Darcy early in the season coming off injury was played as a forward. He kicked 4 games in 3 games. The first game he was extremely limited in his movement and didn't kick a goal but the next 2 games he kicked 4 goals.

Lobb is 29 next year vs Jackson 20. Sure Lobb is a better forward averaging 1.5 goals vs 0.7 from Jackson but Jackson ruck work is superior hit outs . But consider that Jackson only played 75% game time vs Lobb's 92%.

Darcy and Jackson splitting time forward and in the ruck will improve our forward line in the medium term.

I don’t think we should give up the farm for Jackson.
But he’s in a different ballpark to Rory Lobb.
I’d happily trade Lobb, his heart doesn’t seem to be in the freo cause. Players like that are worthless to the team. Ya can talk about structure etc all you like but if the guy wants out just get rid of him and do the best you can at the trade table.

You think a 200cm 100kg man is going to average 23 disp, 8 contested, 3.6 clearances, 400ms gained and 5.3 score involvements (Cerra's numbers). He is shaping to be an awesome forward ruck and surpass Lobbster but not an actual midfielder.
Cerra is a very different fruit to Jackson.

Lets compare Jackson and Cerra at the same age.

Luke Jackson and Adam Cerra AFL Stats Comparison (footywire.com)

Now Jackson can split time between Ruck, key forward and midfield.

Jackson is like a ruck rover and absolutely fils a need for Freo with his ability to play forward.

Also Darcy is showing promising signs as a forward for them to swap.

We can’t however just buy at any cost and two top 10 picks is way too high a cost as is our top 10 pick along with a player who you could argue has as much claim to two first round picks.

I don’t believe Melbourne will trade which they have come out strongly and said they won’t consider trading him at all. The article is just repeating what was said weeks ago that Freo will ask for Jackson if Cerra wants to go to Melbourne.

Jackson is like a ruck rover and absolutely fils a need for Freo with his ability to play forward.

Also Darcy is showing promising signs as a forward for them to swap.

We can’t however just buy at any cost and two top 10 picks is way too high a cost as is our top 10 pick along with a player who you could argue has as much claim to two first round picks.

I don’t believe Melbourne will trade which they have come out strongly and said they won’t consider trading him at all. The article is just repeating what was said weeks ago that Freo will ask for Jackson if Cerra wants to go to Melbourne.
If Jackson comes out and says he is homesick, then its a different ball game.

A Cerra and Lobb for Jackson and Brayshaw deal would assist both teams.

I hear ya mate, it's just when you look at our list we have glaring issues which we need to address. Firstly, and most importantly is our forwardline. Secondly, and this one is underrated on here is our aging stars in Mundy, Fyfe and Walters. We don't know how many years they have left and their output will start to decline. It is this reason I would prefer to draft a gun mid this year to be prepared for the future. I love Jackson but Cerra leaves a big hole that he alone cannot fill.

Jackson is 20. He has gun written all over him.
The future doesn’t need to be next year.

You say draft ‘gun mid’ like it’s that easy.

Prima donna? Just going along with his woman. She is the daughter of Steve Rosich, who is now the CEO of the Victorian Racing Club and looking to give his daughter a cushy marketing job with the VRC.

I think he'd be happy whether he stayed or went to Melbourne (city).
So in shorts, it’s the Steves. The freaking Steves

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forget pick 25 for a second.

Would you trade Erasmus and Amiss for Jackson right now?

Or whoever you fancy at 6 and 8.

I was about to say "no f(%ing way", but thought I would revisit some drafts and it isn't actually that clear.

Let's use 8 and 10, because that's what those picks will really be.

Serong and Green? No trade.
Thomas and Blakey? No.
Coffield and O'Brien? Yes.
Logue and Bowes? Not sure. I think both of them could be a lot better but don't know if that will happen.
Ah Chee and McKay? No.
Wright and Cockatoo? Yes.
McDonald and Freeman? Yes.

Before that it is probably mostly "yes" answers with a few exceptions.

We seem to have been picking well lately with our first rounders. It is easy to assume we will do it again. But are we due to pick a dud, or heaven forbid two duds? There's 14 players above, and I would say there are 6 duds, 4 OK picks, 4 good picks.

I think Cerra and Jackson are similar in value to be honest. A straight swap is pretty fair. Maybe Jackson is worth slightly more, but Cerra has more runs on the board, and Jackson's value is more on potential/projection than proven.

If Jackson says he wants to go home and will next year if a trade can’t be facilitated this year.
I would settle for a swap of Jackson + Cerra as well next years firsts being swapped.

At least that way I can get Cerra, if I wait until next year it will be settled with just picks.

I’ll just add to this and say is that not many genuine forward/rucks are match winners.

He's 20.

IMO Even if Jackson requests a trade, I’d prefer to get him next year. Too much talent in this draft. The kid did have a tantrum because Melb wouldn’t let him leave his host family and get his own place. He was putting out homesick vibes to his family. Let that ride out another season and get him for nothing rather than “selling the farm” this year. Not disputing he isn’t a gun, but I’d much rather wait another season to grab him and hit the draft this year. Same goes for Neale.

IMO Even if Jackson requests a trade, I’d prefer to get him next year. Too much talent in this draft. The kid did have a tantrum because Melb wouldn’t let him leave his host family and get his own place. He was putting out homesick vibes to his family. Let that ride out another season and get him for nothing rather than “selling the farm” this year. Not disputing he isn’t a gun, but I’d much rather wait another season to grab him and hit the draft this year. Same goes for Neale.
And if he settles and decides he likes the place after another year?

Risk isnt worth the reward in waiting.
Even uncontracted he’s going to cost a shit load to trade for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back