NFL 2021 - NFL Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

So.... Both Juwaun James and Deasean Hamilton tore their ACLs or achilles while training away from the Broncos facility, and both got released, with the Broncos looking to void sums of their guaranteed money
Thatā€™s rough during a pandemic

2021 NFL season: Here's the rare feat legendary running back Frank Gore can accomplish if he plays this year
By Jeff Kerr

7 hrs ago

Frank Gore rewrote the NFL record book for running backs over the age of 30. As the running back turns 38 years old Friday, Gore can write a new record book for himself if he plays in the NFL this season. Gore hasn't signed with a team yet -- so his NFL future is uncertain -- but there's some firsts for his position he can accomplish if he takes the field in 2021.

First, no running back has ever recorded a carry at the age of 38 (with records first kept in 1950). There have been three fullbacks to record a carry at that age -- Lorenzo Neal, Fred McAfee, and Tony Richardson -- and neither have logged over five carries in their age-38 season. Gore could beat that mark in a single game if he plays in 2021, especially since he recorded 187 carries last season -- at the age of 37.
The most rushing yards for a running back/fullback for a player age 38 or older is Richardson, who finished with five carries for 13 yards in his age-38 season (2010). Richardson actually turned 39 in December of that season, the oldest running back/fullback to record a carry since 1950. For all football players, the record for rushing yards in an age-38 season belongs to Doug Flutie -- who rushed for 153 yards in the 2000 season. The most rushing touchdowns for a player in his age-38 season was Josh McCown with five (2017). Notice both players are quarterbacks.

The most rushing yards for a player age 38 or older belongs to Flutie, who rushed for 192 yards at age 39 in 2001 with the San Diego Chargers. McCown's five touchdowns with the New York Jets in 2017 is still the record for players age-38 or older.
Gore finished with 187 carries and 653 yards and two touchdowns in 2020, as he was the No. 1 running back for the Jets at 37. Gore won't be asked to carry the load much in 2021 if he signs with a team, but there are plenty of firsts if he plays at age 38. He'll be the first running back to carry a football and rush for any yards at that age, an impressive feat given the longevity of running backs in this league.

Gore has the most rushing yards (7.161) for a player over the age of 30. Playing at 38 would already add to his Hall of Fame career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Bradyā€™s father has been known to supply an attention-grabbing quote or two to the Boston media, and when he called into a radio show Thursday he did not disappoint.
The appearance by Tom Brady Sr. on Bostonā€™s 98.5 the Sports Hub came a day after the NFL released its 2021 schedule, which includes an extremely juicy, prime-time matchup in Week 4 between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the host New England Patriots. After winning Februaryā€™s Super Bowl to cap his first season with the Bucs following a 20-year run of unprecedented success in New England, Tom Brady Jr. will have a chance to return to New England and show fans what theyā€™re missing.

Brady Sr. made it clear that he is as excited as many others are for that showdown ā€” and that he is very confident his son will emerge victorious.

ā€œI saw the schedule come out last night, and I started salivating when I saw that we play the Patriots in the fourth game of the season,ā€ he said. ā€œWeā€™re coming up there to make our record 4-0.ā€

The Buccaneers are ā€œlicking their chops to come up there and kind of take the Patriots down a notch,ā€ Brady Sr. added with a chuckle.

Brady Sr. did mix in praise for his sonā€™s former team. Describing the Pats as ā€œour second-favorite teamā€ these days, he said: ā€œItā€™s been our home for 20 years, so we love Boston. Itā€™s been a very special place in our heart for so many years.ā€
Nevertheless, he was blunt in his assessment of how the Week 4 contest will play out.

ā€œWe expect to beat the Patriots rather handily, frankly,ā€ he said.

ā€œFrom my take on it, I think itā€™s going to be great,ā€ Brady Sr. said of that matchup. ā€œI get to have a favorite team in the AFC and a favorite team in the NFC. And then they play on the fourth week of the year. Iā€™m thrilled for this.ā€
The younger Brady opted to have a little fun on social media. Going back to Gillette Stadium to play his old team will be like ā€œwhen your high school friends meet your college friends,ā€ he tweeted, adding a nervous-smile emoji.

If Brady gets a mixed reaction from fans in New England, that wonā€™t come as a surprise or a disappointment to his father.

ā€œI think that the fans at Gillette will embrace him until the opening kickoff, and then theyā€™re going to boo the hell out of him, which is great,ā€ Brady Sr. predicted. ā€œI think the fans appreciate everything he did for them for 20 years, but at the same time theyā€™re Patriots fans, theyā€™re not Buccaneers fans.ā€

Adding an extra layer of potential intrigue to the game is the possibility that Brady could have a chance to break Drew Breesā€™s record for most NFL passing yards. He trails the former New Orleans Saints star, who retired in March, by just 1,154 yards but would need to average almost 400 yards over the first four games to break the record in front of former coach Bill Belichick.
Breaking the record at Gillette Stadium would be ā€œa little cherry on topā€ of his sonā€™s return to Patriots Country, Brady Sr. said, adding that ā€œit will be funā€ if it happens.

It wasnā€™t the first time Brady Sr. has provided some noteworthy material for New England fans. In 2015, he predicted that Belichick and his son would part ways, saying at the time: ā€œIt will end badly. It does end badly. And I know that because I know what Tommy wants to do. He wants to play till heā€™s 70.ā€

In January, after Brady helped the Bucs win the NFC championship game, he said of Belichick, ā€œIā€™m guessing heā€™s on a little bit of a hot seat right now.ā€
Brady Sr. emphasized Thursday that his son does not harbor any major ill will toward the team he led to six Super Bowl wins in nine appearances. He also dialed back just a bit the ā€œplay till heā€™s 70ā€ prediction.
ā€œItā€™s not a matter of walking out of town and being unhappy,ā€ Bradyā€™s father said. ā€œHe had a happy 20 years there, and a most successful 20 years there. Now heā€™s in another place with another opportunity to win, and thatā€™s really great.ā€

Tom Brady Sr. takes credit for his sonā€™s competitiveness

ā€œMy faultā€¦ I started it. Everything we did, and I mean everything, like running home from church, throwing a rock the farthest ā€¦ Everything was a competition. I guess it made things really fun, at least for the winner.ā€

Remove this Banner Ad

Back