NFL 2021 - NFL Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Jim McMahon: Bill Belichick’s a “lying piece of sh-t”

Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2021, 1:03 PM EDT

Nearly six years ago, former NFL quarterback Jim McMahon characterized former Browns (and current Patriots) coach Bill Belichick as a liar. Earlier today, McMahon opted for a more colorful term.

“Lying piece of sh*t.”

McMahon reached his conclusion after the Browns cut McMahon during 1995 training camp, and after Belichick suggested to McMahon that he’d be re-signed by the team.

“After training camp [Belichick] called me in and says, ‘Hey we’re gonna have to release you. We’ve got a lot of guys hurt. We need some roster spots,'” McMahon said on 850 ESPN Cleveland. “Then he said, ‘Hey no. But we really want you, we need you here.’ I said what are you telling me, Bill? He goes, ‘I want you to move here.’ If I’m gonna be here. I move my family here. They’re gonna be here for six months with me. I gotta find a hockey team for my sons. They were big into hockey at the time. So don’t screw me around. And he said ‘We’re gonna take care of you. . . . We’ll pay you to sit out.’

If true, that alone reflects a violation of the rules. Obviously, a non-player can’t be paid by a team to be available to the team whenever the team wants to sign him.

“So I called my attorney and said, ‘Can I trust this guy, he said they’re gonna pay me to sit out? He said it’s probably only gonna be one or two weeks.’ So I ended up finding a house . . . to rent, found a hockey team for my sons. So I called in the first week on a Friday to get my check and get the runaround. I’m thinking first week jitters. The second week I called in for my check, got the runaround again. I sat here for seven weeks doing nothing in Cleveland. . . . They finally signed me back Week Seven or Eight.

“I dressed three games — the eight, nine and ten weeks — and I got those checks. I confronted the G.M. at the time, what the hell was his name, Lombardi? He’s coming down the hallway and I said, ‘Hey man, I need my money. My wife was just in a wreck and I don’t want to deal with insurance.’ He looks at me and says, ‘Well, maybe we’ll pay you, maybe we wont.’ And I lost it. I just snapped. I grabbed him by the neck and threw his head against the wall and said, ‘You’re gonna pay me my money.” Then I started realizing what I was doing and I’m looking around the hallway to see if there were any cameras. I stopped hitting him and he slid down the wall.”

“I walked into the training room and called my attorney and said, ‘Hey get me cut right now.’ He called me back within two minutes and said they’ll release you if that’s what you want. So I had just walked out of the QB meeting to go to the rest room and all this had just happened in ten minutes. So I walk back into the QB meeting — it was Vinny Testaverde, myself and Eric Zeier and just said ‘Hey boys, I’ll see you all later. I’m outta here’ The coach said, ‘Have you talked Bill?’ I said, “You can tell Bill to kiss my ass. He’s a lying piece of sh*t.’ Then I was gone. The very next day I was up in Green Bay.”

McMahon won a second Super Bowl ring as the backup to Brett Favre in Green Bay to cap the 1996 season, McMahon’s last year in football.

Nothing about this surprises me just look at what the Patriots have been involved in since Belichick been there. Spygate, Deflategate, Aaron Hernandez, Last season filming the Bengals Side lines and thats the ones we know about theres likely alot we don't.

Nothing about this surprises me just look at what the Patriots have been involved in since Belichick been there. Spygate, Deflategate, Aaron Hernandez, Last season filming the Bengals Side lines and thats the ones we know about theres likely alot we don't.
Yes, yes, sure, i completely agree with you, but what you are saying is mad... it's diabolical!

Gotta love how you don't have to have a average to good nfl to criticize Tim Tebow trying to make it as a Tight end for Jacksonville.

Former Jets QB Gregg McElroy has come out and said Tim Tebow wasn't any good as te when he tried to switch with the jets (first season trying) also said joining jaguars would be stupid.

Maybe Gregg shouldn't tell other people that they weren't any good or joining a team is stupid before people start realizing how bad he was as a QB.

In his only career start against the San Diego Chargers, McElroy completed 14-of-24 passes for 185 yards with an interception and lost a fumble. He was sacked 11 times, as the Jets lost 27–17. Talk about being bad.

The Houston Garbage Collectors doing their thing. What an off-season! An embarrassment of QB riches.
Say what your like about the Texans but they have put together one of the truly great 3rd string teams in history, I’d match their 3 string against anyone else’s 3rd string, unfortunately for the Texans fans most of these guys will be day one starters.

Texans signed QB Jeff Driskel, formerly of the Broncos, to a one-year contract.
The deal is worth up to $2.5 million. 28-year-old Driskel spent last season in Denver where he made one start and appeared in three contests. Driskel has made nine career starts with the Bengals, Lions, and Broncos and is another veteran presence in Houston. He joins Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Finley, and rookie Davis Mills in an uninspiring QB room should Deshaun Watson not be available.
RELATED:
May 19, 2021, 8:24 PM ET
As a Tight End....

😂

5aa308.jpg

Tim Tebow officially signed his one-year contract with the Jaguars.
Tebow, 33, hasn't played in a regular-season game in nine years but will reportedly "take on a role besides tight end" assuming he makes the team's roster out of camp. Having previously bruised his way for 12 rushing scores in 14 regular season starts as Denver's starting quarterback, it's possible Urban Meyer views his friend/new weapon as a versatile tool inside the five-yard line. Although there's skepticism Tebow can even make the final roster at his age, run-blocking TE Chris Manhertz is the only competition for him in the room.
SOURCE: Jacksonville Jaguars on Twitter
May 20, 2021, 8:35 AM ET

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Justin Jefferson is so good as a wideout why his one of my keepers in my Keeper League imagine if he had a good qb passing to him instead of Cousins.

Justin Jefferson is so good as a wideout why his one of my keepers in my Keeper League imagine if he had a good qb passing to him instead of Cousins.

Cousins ain't that bad. He's made plenty of WRs some money. If you're a WR you're going to Cousins over the like of Jackson and Newton who were MVPs if you want to put up numbers and get a fat contract.

Cousins ain't that bad. He's made plenty of WRs some money. If you're a WR you're going to Cousins over the like of Jackson and Newton who were MVPs.

So true i can't imagine someone like Julio Jones even having a great year with Jackson throwing to him.

So true i can't imagine someone like Julio Jones even having a great year with Jackson throwing to him.

He throws a good ball Kirk, just not massively clutch unfortunately.

Is he really a top 10 QB thou does he take his team to playoffs every year and are the vikings better now that they have him.
Half the quarterbacks in the top 10 don't make the playoffs anyway because their teams are s**t. And yes the Vikings are better to have him? Unless you're talking about a bonafide top 5 guy (Mahomes/Rodgers/Wilson/Watson/Allen) replacing him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back