2021 Non-Crows AFL Discussion Part 1: we can have lots of fun!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Port whingers whingeing that they’re the only club not to have received government funding for improvements to club facilities (* claim unproven)

well they are the only club to receive federal funding to play a game overseas

so that’s 1-1 in my book

And they received State Government funding, the Chyna Experiment was so popular with companies banging down the door they had to step in as the oval naming rights sponsor.

Seriously wtf. Can somebody explain to me what the person on the mark did wrong here? Why the hell does the AFL think soft 50m penalties is something the game needs more of.

You are not allowed to move from the mark in any direction, even a small amount or single step

This is a bullshit rule change. The kicker literally had metres of space and wasn't inhibited by the man on the mark in any way.

It's to "open up the game" after all the other rule changes from Steve Hocking that ****ed up the game

It's to "open up the game" after all the other rule changes from Steve Hocking that f’ed up the game
This isn't going to do anything but infuriate supporters with soft 50m penalties. If they're going to bring in this kind of soft bullshit, the least they could do is change it to a 25m penalty.

How does the rule work if nobody stands the mark - ie 2 or 3 metres behind?
Or if teams start to man the mark in 2 places. 1 still player on the mark and 1 player thats techincally allowed to go side to side but standing on the fat side of the player at the minimum legal distance. To essentially box them in!

It would lead to a loose man but it would also stop the player from running off the mark and streaming towards goal with the man on the mark unable to move.

I think someone here looked at the rule and it says whoever is closest to the mark is deemed to be on the mark and can't move. So removing that tactic which is the first obvious thing you'd do

50m penalties should be reserved for poor conduct, like shoving a guy to the ground when he's already marked the ball etc. I hate the idea of players getting pinged for 50m when all they did was take a couple of sideways steps and didn't impinge on the kicker at all.

If the kicker wants to open up the angles, he should take a step back. I don't know why it should be the man on the marks responsibility to make it easy for them.

can we switch who's on the mark?

Say there's a quick break and a team gets a mark around 50m out and the closest defender is the ruckman, can we get someone else on the mark to allow the ruckman to get tot he goal line? Or would the ruckman be forced to stay on the mark?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say there's a quick break and a team gets a mark around 50m out and the closest defender is the ruckman, can we get someone else on the mark to allow the ruckman to get tot he goal line? Or would the ruckman be forced to stay on the mark?
Pretty sure the player is nominated by the ump (told to "stand") then cannot change.

End of the day it's a moronic rule change.

I'll be shocked if it's still in existence come May.
I can tell you how this will go. Umpires will call it how it's written, it will piss everybody off, then half way through the season the AFL will "adjust the interpretation of the rule" which is actually just code for "we scrapped the rule but don't want to admit it because we'd look like idiots".

No. This is expressly forbidden.

All I think will happen is everyone will say why didn't the umpire call play on as soon as that dude took half a step sideways? Surely if theyre going to be super strict on the person manning the mark not moving they have to be super strict on calling play on. This will be the prob, it will place a tonne of pressure on the umpire to get that part right and being human, sometimes they wont and then someone will lose a game because of it and then the AFL will scrap it.

Haven't seen too many positive comments on the new AFL rule from former players/commentators.
Unless I missed it in our intraclub match I didn't see it come close to being applied so this weekend's game will be interesting from that point of view.
Will it be applied across the SANFL, VFL, WAFL etc?

If not going to be confusing for our players moving from the SANFL to AFL during the season.

Haven't seen too many positive comments on the new AFL rule from former players/commentators.
Unless I missed it in our intraclub match I didn't see it come close to being applied so this weekend's game will be interesting from that point of view.
Will it be applied across the SANFL, VFL, WAFL etc?

If not going to be confusing for our players moving from the SANFL to AFL during the season.

No different to all of the other rule changes between AFL & SANFL - 25m penalties, last touch out of bounds, ...

** Not defending the rule, just noting that having rule differences between AFL & SANFL is nothing new.

They've got this arse over backwards.

The "problem" is not solved by restricting the man on the mark.

The better response would be to give the player with the ball in hand more freedom to move laterally without the umpire calling 'play on'. Let them take a step or 2 off the line to open up the angles, and let the man on the mark move sideways to cover. And then if that option is not open, let the player with the ball look around for further options again.

You won’t be allowed inside the 5m zone. Like I suggested. Nobody stand the mark. Stay outside of the five metre zone and you can still cut off the shorter angle kick. Also gives you an extra defender. As soon as the player plays on, then move in to block his route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back